Tesco launches new Clubcard Plus offering discounts on shopping - but it costs £7.99 a month

Money, investing, mutuals etc
Richard Frost

Re: Tesco launches new Clubcard Plus offering discounts on shopping - but it costs £7.99 a month

Post by Richard Frost » Sun Oct 06 2019 10:57am

blythburgh wrote:
Sun Oct 06 2019 10:26am
parchedpeas wrote:
Sat Oct 05 2019 11:20pm
But two £40 spends on branded goods is not that hard, each month.

There could be value, but 10% of stuff that is already 20% cheaper in Aldi is not going to win many people over.

£8 a month for triple points would have been a different kettle of fish, with clubcard upgrades still matching 1:3.
We could do the £40 twice a month but if it has to be branded goods then we will need to hire storage for all the bulk buys we would have to buy.

But if we go not many yards down the road through a nearby village which we are visiting or by using the village road instead of the bypass we can buy Co-op own label stuff and get 5p in the pound in instant dividend. Well almost instant, we have to do a 2nd shop to be able to spend the divi just earned.

5p beats Tesco 3p maximum.
This is all very true and I get your point, but the Co-op is more expensive than Tesco so any dividend is slashed before you even walk in the shop.

I will not be using the new Clubcard+ Several reasons:

I do not feel that £7.99 a month continues what was once good value
It is to much faff to organise shopping to ensure I get the full value.
I do not always use branded goods
Holidays would need to be taken into account over the year to ensure I got good value
Why should I pay Tesco £7.99 pm to collect data and then sell it on to third parties
Why would I commit myself to going to Tescos when there is a wealth of other shops out there.

At the end of the day this is all about loyalty and Tesco wanting to lock in/commit customers to using them alone.
Thanked by: im183152, Kelantan