Credit Karma - Unknown Insurance Searches

Money, investing, mutuals etc
blythburgh

Re: Credit Karma - Unknown Insurance Searches

Post by blythburgh » Thu Dec 19 2019 11:06am

Just heard from friend. The original bank charge was because when she phoned to pay for her catalogue buy the person at the call centre had accidentally joined into the club that you pay to join and then get discounts and freebies.

They are very sorry (I had given our friend the phone number as she had given us name of club and I looked it up). But the person who phoned yesterday and was "trying to help" was calling from a different phone number which our friend had got from the 141 thingy. Was it a scammer or was it really the club? If it was from the club why did they want her full bank details?
Keep smiling because the light at the end of someone's tunnel may be you, Ron Cheneler

Chadwick

Post by Chadwick » Thu Dec 19 2019 1:35pm

blythburgh wrote:
Thu Dec 19 2019 11:06am
But the person who phoned yesterday and was "trying to help" was calling from a different phone number which our friend had got from the 141 thingy. Was it a scammer or was it really the club? If it was from the club why did they want her full bank details?
It's either a scammer, or a symptom of lax control of personal details at the club. Either way, best avoided. As a rule of thumb, never give your bank details to anyone you're not sure of. If they're legit, there'll be a way you can verify that later.

planteria

Post by planteria » Sat Dec 21 2019 8:13pm

agreed.
we all have to be vigilant.
Action Fraud have given me a Crime Reference Number and I need to call Admiral again on monday.
no other insurer has written to me, and I can't see what anyone has/will gain by applying for insurance using my details.