Secure Key access

Money, investing, mutuals etc
macliam

Secure Key access

Post by macliam » Tue Jan 21 2020 4:00pm

First Direct have notified me that I will not be able to access my account onlinewithout using a "secure key" which can be either digital, or physical.

They already require the use of the "physical" secure key to authorise online transactions, but now suggest that even account enquiries will require usage of this clunky interface. So they're pushing the "digital" secure key..... but this requires the installation of a mobile banking app - with all the additional facilities that I don't want.

So, it looks like it's going to be bye-bye to First Direct......
Thanked by: pakefield, blythburgh
Just because I'm paranoid, it doesn't mean they're not out to get me

pabenny

Re: Secure Key access

Post by pabenny » Tue Jan 21 2020 4:09pm

Agree that the physical device is clunky - it's been standard across most HSBC accounts for years.

You might want to check out the app before you decide to switch. Getting online access codes is a separate module within the app and doesn't require you to log into the transactional parts. That said, it's quicker and easier to use the app for checking balances and I hardly ever log in now via my desktop.

macliam

Post by macliam » Tue Jan 21 2020 4:24pm

pabenny wrote:
Tue Jan 21 2020 4:09pm
Agree that the physical device is clunky - it's been standard across most HSBC accounts for years.

You might want to check out the app before you decide to switch. Getting online access codes is a separate module within the app and doesn't require you to log into the transactional parts. That said, it's quicker and easier to use the app for checking balances and I hardly ever log in now via my desktop.
I'm not happy that they are trying to force me to install a mobile banking app I don't want with the excuse of "online security". Other banks manage 2-stage security without all the faff.

Sarah

Post by Sarah » Tue Jan 21 2020 5:02pm

It's an inconvenience, however I'll continue to use the physical secure key instead of the mobile app. They initially appeared to be signalling this change sometime last year, so I'm glad it's happening later rather than sooner. As pabenny mentioned, it already became mandatory for logging into HSBC banking quite awhile ago and M&S Bank (another HSBC platform) also followed.

BeautifulSunshine

Post by BeautifulSunshine » Tue Jan 21 2020 5:07pm

You can't fault the banks for keeping you secure and safe.
[imutual Cashback Investment Club]

pabenny

Post by pabenny » Tue Jan 21 2020 5:41pm

macliam wrote:
Tue Jan 21 2020 4:24pm
I'm not happy that they are trying to force me to install a mobile banking app I don't want...
With respect, Mr Macliam, they're not. You can still use the physical device.

I've found that the app is more convenient. But you've clearly set your face against this and I doubt I can get you to even to consider trying the app. There are plenty of switching incentives out there and I'm sure that Nationwide or another will be delighted to have your custom.

macliam

Post by macliam » Wed Jan 22 2020 2:09am

pabenny wrote:
Tue Jan 21 2020 5:41pm
macliam wrote:
Tue Jan 21 2020 4:24pm
I'm not happy that they are trying to force me to install a mobile banking app I don't want...
With respect, Mr Macliam, they're not. You can still use the physical device.

I've found that the app is more convenient. But you've clearly set your face against this and I doubt I can get you to even to consider trying the app. There are plenty of switching incentives out there and I'm sure that Nationwide or another will be delighted to have your custom.
With respect, Mr Pabenny, they are - because having to use a clunky touchpad every time I want to check my balance is very much pushing me towards the mobile app "for convenience" as all their emails point out - and yes, I have absolutely no wish to use mobile banking as it is neither necessary nor attractive to me.
Thanked by: blythburgh

Sarah

Post by Sarah » Wed Jan 22 2020 6:59am

The direction of travel is generally the same for all UK banks, so switching might not avoid the issue for long; those not already using tokens or card readers for some or all online banking actions (e.g. Santander, Halifax/BoS/Lloyds and TSB) are likely to be fewer in number by this time next year.

Perhaps consider Tesco Bank; they've used card readers in the past but got rid of them when they built their own banking platform, so they might be most resistant to bringing them back again since that would complete a full 360 turn!

blythburgh

Post by blythburgh » Wed Jan 22 2020 9:41am

The banks are trying to keep us safe I guess but fraudsters will always find a way
Keep smiling because the light at the end of someone's tunnel may be you, Ron Cheneler

planteria

Post by planteria » Wed Jan 22 2020 9:53am

fwiw i have 4 of the HSBC-stable SCs, and i find them to be fine to use.
i access my HSBC personal account via an iPhone app, so don't use one for that account very often, but i use a SK for a business account 2 or 3 times/week.