Current Portfolios?

Money, investing, mutuals etc
planteria

Current Portfolios?

Post by planteria » Sat Apr 18 2020 7:24pm

how are people here positioned portfolio-wise currently?
we've had the effects of the virus already, with dips and bounces back, but i think there could be a more sustained fall, and i'm interested how others are positioned.

Boro Boy

Re: Current Portfolios?

Post by Boro Boy » Sat Apr 18 2020 9:17pm

One of the themes I'm heavily into at the moment is Tech direct shares and also funds, as well as lump sum investment I'm drip feeding in the dips. Risky and needs constant observation.

My holding in the mining company Anglo American has been added too and is coming good.

My other theme at the moment is what will come good again after the Virus Lockdown ends and I've chosen Restaurants and Car Sales (as can't choose everything) so The Resturant Group, Aston Martin Lagonda and (not as heavily) Tesla - it seems many must have the same idea as me as I'm already well into profit on these.

Certain good fund management groups seem to be going cheap recently so bought into the likes of Polar Capital and Gresham House, needs less attention and great value as a longer term investment.

I've been buying and selling profitably Metro Bank as a take-over target for some time but recently bought in heavily as I hope they have bottomed out now, so sit back and hang on for the ride whilst drip feeding additional cash to build up the holding further as I beleive it may be a longer term return.

Looking into Lithium miners currently

I'm not an income hunter but there are opportunities out there for the investor who is not so much worried about the capital position and wants to pocket a good income return...!
Thanked by: planteria

planteria

Post by planteria » Sun Apr 19 2020 8:29am

interesting response BB..
tell us more re the tech shares/funds.
i've held Anglo American in the past. i think miners could drop along with the market as a whole, but potentially become great investments at some kind of bottom of a slide. the developing world is always going to be hungry for resources. i like Anglo's diamond element too. i don't know anything about lithium miners, although larger miners who have some interests in resources beyond the main commodities have an appeal.
with you re bounce bank shares.. but i think a further downturn in the market could take them down further a second time.
i'm not sure what to make of Metro Bank to be honest. i have looked at potentially banking with them. as a business they've come to the market playing a different tune, and it doesn't really seem to be working, does it?

Boro Boy

Post by Boro Boy » Wed Jun 03 2020 4:50pm

Just sold Aston Martin shares holding today with a Sizeable Gain following two purchase late April and mid May!!! over the moon with that one!!! ;)

Anglo-Americans diamond element is largely built up with their take over of De-Beers. I'm building up Polar Capital Technology fund and their holding company Polar Capital Holdings, I have a hold on longer term bet Metro Bank. Purchased into Italian Stock (highlighted in Investment Club forum) earlier in the week and they are proving fruitful already. ;)

BeautifulSunshine

Post by BeautifulSunshine » Wed Jun 03 2020 5:31pm

Boro Boy wrote:
Wed Jun 03 2020 4:50pm
Just sold Aston Martin shares holding today with a Sizeable Gain following two purchase late April and mid May!!! over the moon with that one!!! ;)

Anglo-Americans diamond element is largely built up with their take over of De-Beers. I'm building up Polar Capital Technology fund and their holding company Polar Capital Holdings, I have a hold on longer term bet Metro Bank. Purchased into Italian Stock (highlighted in Investment Club forum) earlier in the week and they are proving fruitful already. ;)
Well done you.
[imutual Cashback Investment Club]

planteria

Post by planteria » Sun Jun 07 2020 11:33am

yes, good work BB..

i have a focused portfolio i manage myself, with other, cautiously managed, investments alongside:

Amazon
Alphabet
XBT@4.79%
Ruffer Total Return
RSP: Investment/LifeAssurance
Pensions: Marlborough/Wesleyan/Royal London/LV/NFU Mutual

Boro Boy

Post by Boro Boy » Sun Jun 07 2020 2:52pm

planteria wrote:
Sun Jun 07 2020 11:33am
yes, good work BB..

i have a focused portfolio i manage myself, with other, cautiously managed, investments alongside:

Amazon
Alphabet
XBT@4.79%
Ruffer Total Return
RSP: Investment/LifeAssurance
Pensions: Marlborough/Wesleyan/Royal London/LV/NFU Mutual
Myself I have a core with long term stable unexciting but well performing (in their class) assets, some with good dividend income; I don't mind looking at funds to obtain a spread. I rarely alter this core but constantly review these and surround them with more adventurous stock. I always hold cash to take advantage of shorter term opportunities buy/sell but the theme of the adventurous stock is always recovery and future growth potential even if no growth (falls happen currently) as the aim is to build up holdings and future capital growth. I approach this with ad-hoc single premiums and regular monthly smaller purchases. I have no restriction on market place and I'm just at home on Wall Street as I am at the LSE or indeed the Borsa Italiana. I have a number of themes in this regime the main areas being society requirements (things I use/things that keep the system running) and the future/society change (electric cars etc.) and being as tax efficient as possible but not at the expense of missing a good short term gain.

Making lots of money on Saga at the moment (need to decide when to sell).

Key is research and always have a watchlist which needs constant review.

I dislike the Amazon's of this world (probably to my detriment) but companies that treat their customers like cr*p don't attract my investment (end of story).

My recent disappointment is Camellia which has just not performed and I thought it would.

To be concise: I keep good records, learn from my mistakes and treat pennies like pounds but importantly do not get disheartened; you only need to get more than 50% of your adventurous "guesses" right (thankfully I have a bit more than that) to be "in the money". :thumbup:

I would welcome comment from other members approaches to building a portfolio... :think:

planteria

Post by planteria » Sun Jun 07 2020 8:07pm

reads as though you have a well established approach and strategy BB..
Boro Boy wrote:
Sun Jun 07 2020 2:52pm
I dislike the Amazon's of this world (probably to my detriment) but companies that treat their customers like cr*p don't attract my investment (end of story).
i'm guessing you mean employees, not customers.. :problem:.
that is where the bad press has been. customer experience and care is Amazon's focus.
building up an Amazon holding over time has been very positive for me.. started buying at $500.

Boro Boy

Post by Boro Boy » Mon Jun 08 2020 1:04am

planteria wrote:
Sun Jun 07 2020 8:07pm
reads as though you have a well established approach and strategy BB..
Boro Boy wrote:
Sun Jun 07 2020 2:52pm
i'm guessing you mean employees, not customers.. :problem:.
that is where the bad press has been. customer experience and care is Amazon's focus.
building up an Amazon holding over time has been very positive for me.. started buying at $500.
To clarify; I did mean customers (have you ever tried to contact Amazon when you have a problem?) but the fact is you are correct about the employee problem as well - either way Amazon will not get any investment from me on principle. My experience of "Amazon's customer focus" is that it is cr*p and still cr*p after giving them a few attempt's. Don't believe me? - try contacting someone there and if you get through to a human being then try and get an answer to a question, they usually give you an answer to a question you didn't ask and don't give you the opportunity of getting back to clarify the answer/problem... service stinks.

planteria

Post by planteria » Mon Jun 08 2020 8:48am

i'm familiar with the concept BB, although not from Amazon: i never need to contact them.