Electricity and Gas prices

Money, investing, mutuals etc
pabenny

Re: Electricity and Gas prices

Post by pabenny » Mon May 02 2022 4:39pm

I actually don't know whether or not the regulator has considered whether regional differentials in distribution charges should be eliminated. Do you?

But if you accept that the price differences reflect differences in underlying costs*, harmonising charges would mean some combination of low cost areas (London) seeing price rises to subsidise higher cost areas and forcing price cuts in the higher cost areas. Bear in mind that prices (and so profits) are already constrained by the regulator.

* if there aren't differences in underlying costs, the distributors in high charge areas would be making super profits. And they're not.

macliam

Post by macliam » Mon May 02 2022 5:11pm

The regulator didn't even consider the probity and intelligence of allowing fly-by-night energy companies to tout for business based on best-hopes and zero reserves..... so do you think they are likely to be checking the actual costs of regional transmission?

The argument that levelling prices would mean some paying more, for others to pay less presumes that there IS actually a CURRENT rationale for that differential (rather than the continuance of a historical cash-cow) and that there are no market advantages in removing this differential.

Finally, what proof do you have that the profits relating to customers in high standing charge areas do not boost profits..... the companies collecting these charges are national, not local, so profits are generated across the UK. ..... and if a reported £1bn in profits from a utility is not enough for you, what is? https://www.opendemocracy.net/en/opende ... -increase/
Just because I'm paranoid, it doesn't mean they're not out to get me

Sarah

Post by Sarah » Thu May 05 2022 2:25pm

Richard Frost

Post by Richard Frost » Thu May 05 2022 2:28pm

My £150 Council tax rebate arrived today in the bank. Also had a letter from the council telling me they had paid it. Surprisingly efficient.

Sarah

Post by Sarah » Thu May 05 2022 2:31pm

I received mine last week, just a few days before the Direct Debit sent it back to them...

No communication whatsoever though.

macliam

Post by macliam » Thu May 05 2022 3:41pm

None for me, Castle Macliam is in Band F......... :roll:
Just because I'm paranoid, it doesn't mean they're not out to get me

Phil85

Post by Phil85 » Thu May 05 2022 10:02pm

Mine arrived today too but no communiaction from anybody...

Phil85

Post by Phil85 » Tue May 31 2022 9:28pm

....then I got a letter 5 days after getting the payment saying I would receive it within a week...

But it made me think: my house (actually a bungalow) is in Band D as this was where it was put when it was built in about 1987. However it has had two extensions (one before we bought it and one we did since) so would almost certainly be a band higher if the bands were done now. So should I feel guilty about receiving the £150? (Clue: I don't).

Richard Frost

Post by Richard Frost » Tue May 31 2022 10:33pm

Phil85 wrote:
Tue May 31 2022 9:28pm
....then I got a letter 5 days after getting the payment saying I would receive it within a week...

But it made me think: my house (actually a bungalow) is in Band D as this was where it was put when it was built in about 1987. However it has had two extensions (one before we bought it and one we did since) so would almost certainly be a band higher if the bands were done now. So should I feel guilty about receiving the £150? (Clue: I don't).
Your property quite legitimately remains in the band it was allocated. When the property is sold it will be liable to a new valuation and the band may or may not be adjusted then. A problem for any new owner not for you.
A property that’s increased in size may move to a higher band when it’s next purchased.
In a select few situations a banding can be changed without a sale. For example, if a property is extended with a self-contained annexe.
https://www.gov.uk/guidance/understand- ... e-assessed
Thanked by: Phil85

blythburgh

Post by blythburgh » Thu Jun 02 2022 11:11am

Anyone feeling guilty about the money can always donate it to a charity of their choice.
Keep smiling because the light at the end of someone's tunnel may be you, Ron Cheneler