Protection by the law...

Discussion about miscellaneous topics not covered by other forums
macliam

Protection by the law...

Post by macliam » Mon Nov 11 2019 11:36am

It seems that protection under the law is available for those who can pay - and is travelling further in that direction since the restrictions on Legal Aid.

My neighbour applied to add a huge extension onto his property. All neighbours objected, the parish cancel recommended refusal - the local council didn't even discuss it but passed it to the planning officer for a decision..... it was passed. The council have to listen to objections, but not act on them. To make matters worse, there is no appeal - so the only action is to take the case to the High Court, with all the costs involved.........

My development is covered by a restrictive covenant covering parking, changes to properties, etc. However, the company who raised the covenant have no interest in using it other than for their benefit - and for a resident to enforce it is a civil case..... with the associated costs.

Now the FCO has dismissed the complaints of Harry Dunn's parents that they were misled about the status of Anne Sacoolas re diplomatic immunity and that Raab was "wrong in law" in the way he dealt with the case. Not only that, but they have "mentioned" that they would "seek costs" for any judicial review brought by the family and argue that they have not found "any reasonably arguable ground of legal challenge".... a claim disputed by the Dunns lawyers. However, what is clear is the threat that if the Dunns legal team are not able to gain a judgement against the FCO's choice of barrister, the FCO will claim costs against them. It's the legal equivalent of "bring it on if you think you're hard enough!", much loved of bullies.

They say they have extended their sympathy to the Dunns, but it looks like the actual message is "Put up or shut up".

Sad
Thanked by: expressman33
Just because I'm paranoid, it doesn't mean they're not out to get me