Plausible Deniability

Discussion about miscellaneous topics not covered by other forums
macliam

Plausible Deniability

Post by macliam » Thu Feb 20 2020 1:46am

Another twist in the Assange story:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-51566470

Another day, another bit of plausible deniability from the White House.

I've lost count of the number of times somebody has claimed some dubious behaviour on behalf of (or by) President Jaffa, only for it to be refuted. Then, in a breathtaking act of hubris, the Orange one tweets that he never did that, never said that, hadn't been there and/or didn't know the guy...... which just begs any investigative journo to prove his statement false..... and they always do!

I don't know what you think of Assange - in my case, not much but only from what I've read - he is certainly in shtuk at the moment - free of the "rape" charge levelled at him, but now held by Trump's mates and destined for a case for extradition to the USA which is what he always claimed was the real problem. If he is extradited and found "guilty" (is there a doubt?) he is destined to spend the rest of his life banged-up in a federal prison. However, whatever the "crimes" of which he is accused, there is no doubt that his biggest sin was to embarrass those in powerful positions who thought their dirty little secrets had been hidden away.

I don't know what you think of Trump, but his blatant disregard for any propriety seems to me to come from a dark place - and like "Chance the Gardener", he is a useful fool for those who wield the real power.

I don't know what you think of the UK government, but the idea that the courts should be used to aid the vengeance of a corrupt system and hand over someone to a country that has expressly rejected the return of a woman who killed a UK citizen and then ran away, makes me think that all poodles would be demeaned by comparison. :eh:

Taking back control..... :roll:
Thanked by: blythburgh
Just because I'm paranoid, it doesn't mean they're not out to get me

BeautifulSunshine

Re: Plausible Deniability

Post by BeautifulSunshine » Thu Feb 20 2020 5:41pm

You are happy to believe that - I'm happy to let you be happy.
[imutual Cashback Investment Club]

macliam

Post by macliam » Fri Dec 10 2021 7:07pm

Today's news about Assange is not a great day for British justice, in my opinion.

It is hard to see how the High Court could accept US claims that they would safeguard Assange's mental health, given the known issues with the US legal system. Presumably, they accept that Assange will not be able to commit suicide whilst shackled hand and foot, clad in an orange jumpsuit in an always-illuminated perspex box in Guantanamo Bay, beyond the reach of any welfare organizations. If so, it is risible.

Whatever Assange's character and defects, he is subject to a desire by a powerful country to punish him for embarrassing them and exposing their illegal and immoral actions. Whatever the truth of the alleged "rape" claim, it has been dropped and so Assange's own claim at the time that it was merely a subterfuge for his eventual extradition to the USA have proven correct - and for those who still rankle at Tony Blair's support for US actions, the UK has kept Assange in Prison at the behest of the US until now.

The fact that the US planned to kidnap and or kill Assange in a "black ops" operation by the CIA should convince any disinterested party that the likelihood of him receiving "justice" in the USA is remote. However, the High Court did not rule on this, they limited their resolution to the "mental health" question and sent the case back to the lower court with an instruction to the judge to grant extradition if there is no other barrier.

It remains to be seen whether the judge in the lower court is prepared to defy the USA once again by denying the claim for extradition, regardless of the obvious pressurre being applied. If Assange goes to the USA it will mark the complete capitulation of the UK judicial system to political pressure.

I hope it does not happen.

macliam

Post by macliam » Sun Dec 12 2021 1:07pm

Nothing? No reaction? Nobody cares what is happening under their noses?

Lord help us.............. :roll:

Sarah

Post by Sarah » Sun Dec 12 2021 1:46pm

Yes and no. I care to some extent and broadly agree with your analysis, so there is little with which I'd take issue. The UK has acquiesced to US demands, whilst Assange can now only demonstrate the bleak veracity of his plight by successfully committing suicide, so certainly a lose-lose situation for him. On the other hand, he should face justice somewhere for the alleged offences; they might not be on a level with those of Edward Snowden however there appears to be a case (multiple charges) to answer. I don't have a lot of sympathy for him.

macliam

Post by macliam » Mon Dec 13 2021 3:11pm

As I've said, I'm not Assange's greatest fan, but there is a world of difference between that and standing by whilst injustice is being done.

If Assange broke any laws here, then put him on trial, if he did not, then sending him to a country that has already cosidered extrajudicial execution - ie. murdering him - seems beyond the pale. It's not as if we are unaware of what the US thinks it is entitled to do to protect what it considers "National Security" and it's not as if the US is helpful to UK requests for extradition.

He has already been effectively deprived of his liberty for years, the decision to extradite him is unjust.