The new politik?

Discussion about miscellaneous topics not covered by other forums
macliam

The new politik?

Post by macliam » Sat Feb 29 2020 7:54pm

So, the Boris government's attack on anything that opposes them continues
https://www.independent.co.uk/voices/pr ... wsource=cl

His "éminence grise", Cummings, has - to date - launched attacks on Judges, the BBC, Channel 4, any political advisors not on his dinner list, ministers who won't do what they're told (that's you, Javid) and now a Whitehall mandarin with 33 years experience.

His "not so much a Rottweiler, more a rabid Jack Russell", Priti Patel, having dropped the bomb of a migration policy that would have excluded her own parents, has apparently been bullying anyone she feels like and backstabbing those she can't. Now Sir Philip Rutnam has resigned as Permanent Secretary at the Home Office and intends to sue for constructive dismissal - saying he was offered "a financial settlement" to keep shtum, but prefers to have his day in court.

Who cares what happens to a "Sir Humphrey" you might ask (except who would ever have thought Sir Humphrey would resign!). Who cares about a highly paid civil servant?

But let's look at his "opponent", someone who made her fortune as a lobbyist for tobacco and alcohol firms; Who co-wrote a book which recommended reducing the welfare state and emulating working conditions in countries like Singapore, Hong Kong, and South Korea; Who suggested in 2013 that the Department for International Development (DFID) should be scrapped, but still took the job as minister for that department; Who froze a third of the UK's aid to Palestine - and was then sacked for unofficial meetings with Israeli diplomats after suggesting that the UK fund Israeli army field hospitals in the Golan Heights.

We live in interesting times.....
Just because I'm paranoid, it doesn't mean they're not out to get me

blythburgh

Re: The new politik?

Post by blythburgh » Sun Mar 01 2020 8:47am

Put better than I could but mirrors what would have been my post.
Keep smiling because the light at the end of someone's tunnel may be you, Ron Cheneler

Richard Frost

Post by Richard Frost » Sun Mar 01 2020 8:59am

The latest good news for the nation

Boris Johnson and Carrie Symonds engaged and expecting baby.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-51691434
Thanked by: macliam, blythburgh

blythburgh

Post by blythburgh » Sun Mar 01 2020 9:13am

And waited for the right day to tell us
Thanked by: macliam
Keep smiling because the light at the end of someone's tunnel may be you, Ron Cheneler

macliam

Post by macliam » Sun Mar 01 2020 12:57pm

Richard Frost wrote:
Sun Mar 01 2020 8:59am

Is it just me, but I find this announcement somewhat distasteful, given that he only reached a financial settlement with his second wife last month. His haste to announce the engagement seems par for the course as he became engaged to his second wife within days of having his first marriage annulled. There seems something sociopathic about someone who seems to find it easy to change loyalties at the drop of a hat (or trousers). Still, it seems this is OK now - having a proven liar with no personal itegrity as Prime Minister is something to be proud of.....
Thanked by: blythburgh, Richard Frost
Just because I'm paranoid, it doesn't mean they're not out to get me

kevinchess1

Post by kevinchess1 » Sat Mar 07 2020 6:45am

Richard Frost wrote:

A Number 10 baby, At least I think it is I’ve lost count. At least they’re getting married, don’t want a bastard in Number 10!
Thanked by: blythburgh
Politically incorrect since 69

blythburgh

Post by blythburgh » Sat Mar 07 2020 11:01am

macliam wrote:
Sun Mar 01 2020 12:57pm
Richard Frost wrote:

Is it just me, but I find this announcement somewhat distasteful, given that he only reached a financial settlement with his second wife last month. His haste to announce the engagement seems par for the course as he became engaged to his second wife within days of having his first marriage annulled. There seems something sociopathic about someone who seems to find it easy to change loyalties at the drop of a hat (or trousers). Still, it seems this is OK now - having a proven liar with no personal itegrity as Prime Minister is something to be proud of.....
I remember Peter Carrington resigning as a minister. He was not to blame but it was his dept so he chose to do the honourable thing and go.

That would not happen now, you can bully your staff and stay in office

blythburgh

Post by blythburgh » Sat Mar 07 2020 11:14am

macliam wrote:
Richard Frost wrote:

Mrs Johnson mark 2 was the mistress that wrecked marriage one. Mrs Johnson mark 3 is the mistress that wrecked marriage two.

Wonder who the next mistress that is the final straw will be and how long it takes. Call me cynical but I think people are probably taking bets on it

Richard Frost

Post by Richard Frost » Sat Mar 07 2020 12:30pm

blythburgh wrote:
Sat Mar 07 2020 11:14am
macliam wrote:
Richard Frost wrote:

Mrs Johnson mark 2 was the mistress that wrecked marriage one. Mrs Johnson mark 3 is the mistress that wrecked marriage two.

Wonder who the next mistress that is the final straw will be and how long it takes. Call me cynical but I think people are probably taking bets on it
it takes two to tango. No one wrecks a marriage except those who are participating in that marriage. There is never an innocent or guilty party (I know that is a controversial statement) All have or should have their eyes open. Especially where the people have a track record in this sort of thing. A case of "buyer beware" if ever I saw one.

blythburgh

Post by blythburgh » Sun Mar 08 2020 7:45am

Richard Frost wrote:
Sat Mar 07 2020 12:30pm
it takes two to tango. No one wrecks a marriage except those who are participating in that marriage. There is never an innocent or guilty party (I know that is a controversial statement) All have or should have their eyes open. Especially where the people have a track record in this sort of thing. A case of "buyer beware" if ever I saw one.
I usually think when a marriage ends in divorce there was probably various factors and both of the couple were partially to blame. But in this case Johnson has always thought that marriage meant I can bed the wife and as many others as I want to. So I guess the blame lies with him for the breakdown of his marriages. But each woman could say "no, you are married so not free to go to bed with me". It is the children who are the innocent victims