A sickening car sticker

Discussion about miscellaneous topics not covered by other forums
blythburgh

A sickening car sticker

Post by blythburgh » Tue Sep 14 2021 10:12am

Walking back to the car in Tesco car park I noticed a sticker in the side window of a car. Good idea to put it there as more people will see it than if it is in the back window.

The sticker seemed to be a from a group called "England for the Anglo Saxons" or something along those lines.

Wonder if this racist bustard is cheering on our new British tennis star. You know the one born in Canada with a Chinese Mum and a Romanian Dad. But the parents chose to live here and Emma has chosen to play for Britain so to me she is a British as the bustard, just a far nicer one
Keep smiling because the light at the end of someone's tunnel may be you, Ron Cheneler

Richard Frost

Re: A sickening car sticker

Post by Richard Frost » Tue Sep 14 2021 10:15am

i wonder if he/she realises that the Anglo Saxons migrated to England from the North Sea coastlands of mainland Europe. He/She shoukld read this very informative article from Wikipedia https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anglo-Saxons
Thanked by: macliam, blythburgh

planteria

Post by planteria » Tue Sep 14 2021 10:41am

is it really sickening? or just best ignored?

there is a outrage as a result of little things that white British people do that has/could have a "racist" element, yet a pretence that it isn't happening when white British people are the victims of non-whites.

a sticker on the side of a car : children drugged, cut, burnt, branded, gang-raped by a gang of 20 men.

i know which i think ought to generate sickening feelings. but we all choose our passions and battles.

macliam

Post by macliam » Tue Sep 14 2021 11:06am

Richard Frost wrote:
Tue Sep 14 2021 10:15am
i wonder if he/she realises that the Anglo Saxons migrated to England from the North Sea coastlands of mainland Europe. He/She shoukld read this very informative article from Wikipedia https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anglo-Saxons
I think you are looking for a degree of intelligence that such people do not posess. Prior to the Anglo-Saxons were the Romano-British, or the Celts, or the Jutes...... There was never a homogeneous population, just dominant tribes.

Unfortunately, this is not unique to the UK, or a thing of the past. In Ireland there have been attempts by a minority to alienate recent immigrants as being non-Celtic..... Ignorant of the fact that the Celts were immigrants from central Europe!! Obviously this builds on the purist ideology of the early years of the Republic, necessary to build a common cause, but it shows the danger of such nationalist leanings, when they elevate a single aspect of nationality. A similar genie has been let out of the lamp in the UK recently and it will find it's willing advocates.

Then again...... it may have been a ironic comment on the latter :eh:
Thanked by: Richard Frost, blythburgh
Just because I'm paranoid, it doesn't mean they're not out to get me

macliam

Post by macliam » Tue Sep 14 2021 11:10am

planteria wrote:
Tue Sep 14 2021 10:41am

there is a outrage as a result of little things that white British people do that has/could have a "racist" element, yet a pretence that it isn't happening when white British people are the victims of non-whites.

a sticker on the side of a car : children drugged, cut, burnt, branded, gang-raped by a gang of 20 men.

i know which i think ought to generate sickening feelings. but we all choose our passions and battles.
I think both are worthy of attention - and the continual reference to the horrific crimes of a certain group of people is too easily corrupted to become a condemnation of an entire race, or tribe or group. Those who use such examples are themselves suspect....
Thanked by: blythburgh

blythburgh

Post by blythburgh » Wed Sep 15 2021 8:28am

planteria wrote:
Tue Sep 14 2021 10:41am

And white Anglo Saxon police officers and social workers turned a blind eye. A gang of 20 despicable men and a gang of despicable people who could have done something years before anyone did.
Keep smiling because the light at the end of someone's tunnel may be you, Ron Cheneler

macliam

Post by macliam » Wed Sep 15 2021 9:46am

Setting one group against another is the stock in trade of populists - divide and conquer. You don't have to look back too far to see the effects, the Bosnian war, Kosovo, Sunni/Shia tensions in the Middle East, Northern Ireland and even the Belgian government stagnation. The drive for Scottish independence could also be so categorized, although it can be argued that there is a difference if there is a majority pushback against an imposed status quo.....

There's a danger in ignoring the early signs, or trying to suppress the sentiment by force, but it's often an uncomfortable mirror to look into......