Why so many "real life crime" dramas?

Discussion about miscellaneous topics not covered by other forums
blythburgh

Why so many "real life crime" dramas?

Post by blythburgh » Wed Sep 15 2021 8:34am

Cannot understand the amount of dramas being shown that are about the deaths and suffering of real people. Great drama maybe but for the victims and/or those who loved them are having it dragged up again in the name of entertainment.

I refuse to watch any of them. The one I would have watched is "Stephen" but as the author is a close friend of Jeremy Corbyn he chose to write out of the script the man who made sure there was a prosecution leading to the murderers of Stephen Lawrence finally being jailed.

Who was that man? The then Director of Public Prosecutions and now leader of the Labour Party, Keir Starmer.

A Labour supporter could have given Starmer, and therefore his party, some excellent publicity without the need for any spin doctor. But why let the truth get in the way of getting back at any member of a party you support who does not agree with your views 100%?
Keep smiling because the light at the end of someone's tunnel may be you, Ron Cheneler

Sarah

Re: Why so many "real life crime" dramas?

Post by Sarah » Wed Sep 15 2021 11:04am

I suppose drama has always been a popular genre; perhaps the "real life" aspect is more relatable than fiction for some audiences. I've enjoyed quite a few videos by Karen Kavett (aka Karen Puzzles); she seems a very gentle and wholesome young lady, which can make it a little surprising when she occasionally mentions her love of true crime podcasts. There's apparently no better listening accompaniment when putting all those jigsaws together!
Thanked by: blythburgh

Sarah

Post by Sarah » Wed Sep 15 2021 12:11pm

"Some refreshing comments against the glamourisation of serial killers and the woo-woo of criminal profiling"

https://davidallengreen.com/2021/09/som ... l-killers/

Related comment:
Heather Burns wrote:I befriended a remarkable woman whose sister was a victim of the Wests. Nearly fifty years later she still has to see her sister's murder marketed every day as cable TV entertainment. She changed my perspective on a lot of things.
https://twitter.com/WebDevLaw/status/14 ... 09792?s=20

macliam

Post by macliam » Wed Sep 15 2021 6:02pm

People have a voyeuristic interest in the misfortunes of others ..... and the TV companies exploit that.
Just because I'm paranoid, it doesn't mean they're not out to get me

blythburgh

Post by blythburgh » Fri Sep 17 2021 8:57am

Sarah wrote:
Wed Sep 15 2021 12:11pm
"Some refreshing comments against the glamourisation of serial killers and the woo-woo of criminal profiling"

https://davidallengreen.com/2021/09/som ... l-killers/

Related comment:
Heather Burns wrote:I befriended a remarkable woman whose sister was a victim of the Wests. Nearly fifty years later she still has to see her sister's murder marketed every day as cable TV entertainment. She changed my perspective on a lot of things.
https://twitter.com/WebDevLaw/status/14 ... 09792?s=20
And that is why I do not watch these dramas. Real people died leaving real family and friends who try to remember the life of their loved ones and forget the death and court case. But then it is all dragged up again in the name of entertainment
Keep smiling because the light at the end of someone's tunnel may be you, Ron Cheneler