Cashback Investment Club - learn about it and find out how to join here!

Discussion of the proposed Cashback Investment Club

Moderator: CIC officers

garindan

Cashback Investment Club - learn about it and find out how to join here!

Post by garindan » Tue Sep 02 2014 12:36pm

Dear imutual members,

It is with great pleasure that I can announce the Cashback Investment Club is now formed and ready to accept new members! This post outlines the initial information you need to find out a little more about the Club and how to join.

What are investment clubs?

Generally speaking, investment clubs comprise a group of friends, neighbours or work colleagues who meet together on a regular basis, pooling their spare cash to buy and sell shares on the stock market.

What is the Cashback Investment Club (CIC)?

The CIC is a gathering of eligible imutual members (please see the Club's Rules for details) who would collectively like to do "something more interesting" with the cashback they earn via the imutual website. Too often this cashback is merely transferred to personal bank accounts and spent on the mundane day-to-day costs of living. The Club opens a new door to invest a minimum of £10 per quarter towards the Club's investments, on the stock market or otherwise, which will hopefully give a positive return over time.

How does the CIC work?

Traditional investment clubs involve members regularly meeting in person and generally knowing each other quite well. The CIC is an exciting new approach that takes the core idea of an investment club and applies it to the social networks concept. More specifically - it connects like-minded members of imutual who have a collective interest in making their cashback go a bit further and gives them the opportunity to pool their cashback as Club contributions to buy and sell shares on the stock market and a number of other potential investment options. As CIC members are dispersed throughout the UK the Club's discussions are held on imutual's forums. These discussions may be about potential investment opportunities, such as learning about investments in general, reporting financial research, formal voting on an investment decision or a number of other matters. All members will have the opportunity to learn and be part of the Club's decision making process, whether they be a seasoned investor or a total investment novice. Investment clubs are the breeding ground of future individual investors and are a great place to have fun, learn and hopefully make some money in the process.

How do I join the CIC?

If you would like to become a CIC member please use the new Cashback Investment Club option in the imutual redemption system to initiate your membership, subject to eligibility criteria (see the Club's Rules for more details). As a first step, we invite all new members to agree to the Club's Rules and Constitution and submit their first Club contribution. Secondly, we require all new members to download, print, complete and send a membership application form for Interactive Investor (ii). ii is the share trading platform we have selected for the Club. All CIC members need to become members of ii and be linked to the CIC account in order finalise legal obligations. ii requires each new member of its platform to prove their identity in order to meet obligations to the UK government in safeguarding against financial crimes, such as money laundering. As such, you are asked provide your:

- UK National Insurance Number
- Country of tax residence
- Tax Identification Number (Unique Taxpayer Reference or UTR - if UK resident)

If you do not have a UTR yet you may enter N/A on the form. However, any gains received from share Club membership should be reported as dividends on a Self-Assessment Tax Return, and as such you should register for this and obtain your UTR as part of that process.

New members must complete all but part 1 of the form and send the Club Chairman a message to complete the membership process. You will need to send the paper copy to the Chairman, including a first or second class letter post stamp in order for part 1 can be completed and sent on to ii.

The membership form can be found here.

Once you have completed the form and have your stamps, please send a private message to me.

Once all the steps, above, are complete your membership can begin according to the terms set out in the Club Rules.

What if I have a question about the CIC?

We have just started a new forum thread for this - and your question can be about anything! We'll try and answer it as quickly as we can and as informatively as possible. We'll also begin building a sticky post CIC FAQ using the questions asked on this thread as a starting point. You can find the thread here:

Question and answer forum thread

On behalf of the Cashback Investment Club I look forward to you joining!

Andrew Kitchen
Chairman: Cashback Investment Club
Last edited by garindan on Mon Oct 13 2014 10:09pm, edited 4 times in total.
Chairman: iMutual's Cashback Investment Club (CIC) - contact me about joining!
Visit the Cashback Investment Club forum to find out more.

Ric

Re: Cashback Investment Club soft launches today!

Post by Ric » Tue Sep 02 2014 3:16pm

Signed up :)
As a total investment novice I'm looking forward to learning from the more knowledgeable members out there as well as hopefully a bit of banter along the way :mrgreen:

The CIC has obviously taken some considerable work to organise and set up, so thank you to Andrew, David and Richard, and anyone else that has been involved to get it to this point today.

:thumbup:

Beachboy

Post by Beachboy » Tue Sep 02 2014 8:07pm

Yes massive thanks to all those that did the donkey work in setting this up :thumbup:

Beachboy

Post by Beachboy » Sat Sep 06 2014 10:37am

Just a quick question - I have completed the first step of membership (i.e. visited redemption screen and accepted the T&Cs etc), however could you just clarify the second step. It mentions that:
Secondly, we require all new members to download, print, complete and send a membership application form with accompanying ID to The Share Centre (TSC), which shall be emailed to you on completion of the first step.
Do I need to print off the form or will I be getting an email with one? Or are there two different forms that need completing?

Thanks

garindan

Post by garindan » Sat Sep 06 2014 1:14pm

Beachboy wrote:Just a quick question - I have completed the first step of membership (i.e. visited redemption screen and accepted the T&Cs etc), however could you just clarify the second step. It mentions that:
Secondly, we require all new members to download, print, complete and send a membership application form with accompanying ID to The Share Centre (TSC), which shall be emailed to you on completion of the first step.
Do I need to print off the form or will I be getting an email with one? Or are there two different forms that need completing?

Thanks

Ah, yes. Ahem. I meant to take that reference out. All you have to do is print the application form out, complete and send it off with the accompanying proofs of ID as listed. Apologies about the instructional error. There were two mentions of emailing and I removed one but not the other :oops:

Thanks for pointing this out. I'll PM all those who have submit their details to confirm this :thumbup:

Andrew

burwin

Post by burwin » Sun Sep 07 2014 4:34pm

Thanks for setting up the club.
I have transferred funds and have completed the document will post shortly, if I can find a supporting document/s meeting the requirement.
Very hard to find documents nowadays with all billing via the internet.

timco

Post by timco » Sun Sep 07 2014 5:09pm

burwin wrote:Thanks for setting up the club.
I have transferred funds and have completed the document will post shortly, if I can find a supporting document/s meeting the requirement.
Very hard to find documents nowadays with all billing via the internet.
I found this out when importing my wife so I went back to paper billing certainly for bank accounts and utility bills will never go paperless again as the British government are stuck in the 17th century very surprised that paper is OK and they don't have to be hand scribed on parchment!

garindan

Post by garindan » Sun Sep 07 2014 7:59pm

burwin wrote:Very hard to find documents nowadays with all billing via the internet.
Yes, I have raised this concern with The Share Centre already. They have advised me they will accept a copy of a bank statement, so long as it is printed out at a bank (presumably using one of the machines in branch, which has then been STAMPED BY THE BANK CLERK as original.

Hopefully this helps. If anyone does this method I would be very pleased if you should let me know if there is a charge incurred by this process. I presume not right now.

Of course if you are purely online with a non High Street bank the above will not help. If anyone has any problems with this I can put you directly in touch with a contact at The Share Centre. Just send me a PM.

Thanks!
Andrew

BeautifulSunshine

Re: Cashback Investment Club - learn about it and find out how to join here!

Post by BeautifulSunshine » Fri Sep 12 2014 2:25pm

How do I ask The Share Centre to return my original copies as I need them for my records or will they do it auto?
[imutual Cashback Investment Club]

garindan

Re: Cashback Investment Club - learn about it and find out how to join here!

Post by garindan » Fri Sep 12 2014 8:37pm

underdog wrote:How do I ask The Share Centre to return my original copies as I need them for my records or will they do it auto?
Hi,

Just include a covering letter asking for them to return them to you. They did this with each of the three officer's documentation really quickly.

I hope this helps!

Andrew