Official poll: Should the Cashback Investment Club be "ethical"?

Discussion of the proposed Cashback Investment Club

Moderator: CIC officers

Should the Cashback Investment Club be "ethical"?

Poll ended at Sun May 17, 2015 6:34 pm

Yes
30%
No
70%

Total votes: 10

AAAlphaThunder

Official poll: Should the Cashback Investment Club be "ethical"?

Post by AAAlphaThunder » Sun May 10, 2015 5:33 pm

Furthermore to the issues raised in this thread?

viewtopic.php?f=23&t=53039&p=133099&sid ... 5f#p133099

Should the Cashback Investment Club be "ethical"?

I was going to start a poll but it appears this option for me has been disabled. Please put forward your views on the matter.

MODERATOR EDIT: Poll now added.
[Secretary] imutual Cashback Investment Club

AAAlphaThunder

Re: Should the Cashback Investment Club be "ethical"?

Post by AAAlphaThunder » Sun May 10, 2015 5:37 pm

I'm all for making money. When there are thousands of companies to choose from I'm sure we as a group can make a conscios choice to invest ethically and avoid certain firms. We will still make a profit.

Plus it would reflect well on our Cashback Investment Club to be seen to be ethical from the outset as opposed to making excuses later.

William Joseph1

Post by William Joseph1 » Sun May 10, 2015 5:52 pm

underdog wrote:I was going to start a poll but it appears this option for me has been disabled.
That privilege is reserved to CIC officers in this forum.
It is polite to thank a post. If you like it or if you feel it has helped you. Use the thumb up on the top right of the post.

garindan

Post by garindan » Sun May 10, 2015 6:37 pm

If the answer to this poll is 'yes' then we will have to collectively define what our ethical policy is as another official document. I don't think it needs to be added to the Club Rules or Constitution as it will be a conscious decision by us as a Club to follow a particular route, or not as the case may be.
Chairman: iMutual's Cashback Investment Club (CIC) - contact me about joining!
Visit the Cashback Investment Club forum to find out more.

AAAlphaThunder

Re: Official poll: Should the Cashback Investment Club be "ethical"?

Post by AAAlphaThunder » Sun May 10, 2015 9:25 pm

Yes because I'm not in it just for the profits.

Boro Boy

Post by Boro Boy » Mon May 11, 2015 12:18 am

I'm not a member of the club so will not vote as I don't believe my vote is valid - however I would like to influence those with a right to vote. "Ethical" investments can be a mess.... not only do a lot of ethical companies do business with those considered un-ethical but there is cross investment and that means strategically the only way you can guarantee (and you can never truly guarantee fully) that you are not investing in fully ethical investments is to invest in more volatile smaller companies...!

Imagine this scenario: you are newly invested in a "fully ethical" company and tomorrow in the news its mentioned that they supply another company that uses child labour - if you are an ethical investor the new investment has to be dropped immediately, you haven't made up your bid to offer and you are selling just as this bad news hits the markets sending the stock value down as well....

Its scenarios like the one above that would not encourage me to invest in your club if you ever had an ethical policy! Just keeping it real......
Thanked by: AAAlphaThunder

kevinchess1
Sharing: 3stars.png

Post by kevinchess1 » Mon May 11, 2015 7:39 am

garindan wrote:If the answer to this poll is 'yes' then we will have to collectively define what our ethical policy is as another official document.
No we don't
Polls are for guidance only.
If there is enough feeling about this then put it on the AGM
As I've posted before, we can solve this problem by having a 'I-don't-wanna-buy-this-share' option when we vote
Politically incorrect since 69

William Joseph1

Post by William Joseph1 » Mon May 11, 2015 7:45 am

kevinchess1 wrote:
garindan wrote:If the answer to this poll is 'yes' then we will have to collectively define what our ethical policy is as another official document.
No we don't
As I've posted before, we can solve this problem by having a 'I-don't-wanna-buy-this-share' option when we vote
This would not be an AGM matter. The CIC was set up by individual members and is not part of the core business of imutual. Only CIC members can vote on the matter. My understanding is that within the CIC polls are not just for guidance, but are percieved as the view of the CIC membership and are acted upon if a majority desire so.
It is polite to thank a post. If you like it or if you feel it has helped you. Use the thumb up on the top right of the post.

timco

Post by timco » Mon May 11, 2015 10:45 am

I also would like an "maybe" option, there would be businesses I would never invest in because I don't like either the business they are in or the way they do business.

But as has been said I think this should be via the normal voting system and the majority should win. If there is a moral argument on any share then this can be made in that thread.

We can certainly decide not to invest in certain areas directly, such as tobacco, although as has been pointed out if you go down the track of not investing in those who invest in these areas we need to know what each individual company has investments in, as companies invest too and they may have significant investments in areas we don't like.

Club matters are club matters nothing to do with the AGM, except of course a club AGM should there be one.
Thanked by: kevinchess1, Beachboy

kevinchess1
Sharing: 3stars.png

Post by kevinchess1 » Mon May 11, 2015 3:07 pm

ItsADunDeal wrote:
kevinchess1 wrote:
No we don't
This would not be an AGM matter. The CIC was set up by individual members and is not part of the core business of imutual. Only CIC members can vote on the matter. My understanding is that within the CIC polls are not just for guidance, but are percieved as the view of the CIC membership and are acted upon if a majority desire so.
Sorry Duny
I wasn't clear
I was talking about an CIC AGM
But I can see how you would get confused
We're in a CIC forum discussing a CIC poll so you would assume it was the Imutual AGM
Politically incorrect since 69