Developments on the 5p bag issue....

Topical debate, moral dilemmas and quirky questions. Join fellow shareholders in civilised discussions of issues of interest
Sarah

Re: Developments on the 5p bag issue....

Post by Sarah » Wed Nov 04, 2015 10:38 am

Yep - read the gay press - several stories a week of lives ruined or significantly impacted by intolerance, not to mention all the individuals directly seeking support.

William Joseph1

Post by William Joseph1 » Wed Nov 04, 2015 10:49 am

The Birthday after I told my mother I was gay, she sent me a birthday card. It simply said "Goodbye Richard" Years ago, and I have never spoken to her since. Not even sure if she is still in this world and not bothered enough to try and find out. If she is she must be in her early eighties.
Thanked by: Sarah, blythburgh, macliam, Dream on
It is polite to thank a post. If you like it or if you feel it has helped you. Use the thumb up on the top right of the post.

blythburgh

Post by blythburgh » Wed Nov 04, 2015 11:01 am

ItsADunDeal wrote:The Birthday after I told my mother I was gay, she sent me a birthday card. It simply said "Goodbye Richard" Years ago, and I have never spoken to her since. Not even sure if she is still in this world and not bothered enough to try and find out. If she is she must be in her early eighties.
Her loss, she did not deserve to have you as a son. A decent Mother would have told you to your face how she felt and given you a chance to explain and help her to see things from your perspective.

I still remember the Mother of a criminal who was killed. She admitted his faults but said she loved him. Not the "he was a nice caring person" but she could see him for what he was and still loved him. That is what a good Mother is like, they might not approve of the lifestyle but still love their child.

I am sorry you did not have a good Mother.

And Sarah, how many people have the opposite reaction from their religious or non religious parents and so do not feel the need to comment. Good reactions are often not shared only the bad ones where the person on the receiving end needs support and advice.
Thanked by: macliam
Keep smiling because the light at the end of someone's tunnel may be you, Ron Cheneler

macliam

Post by macliam » Wed Nov 04, 2015 12:13 pm

blythburgh wrote:
ItsADunDeal wrote:The Birthday after I told my mother I was gay, she sent me a birthday card. It simply said "Goodbye Richard" Years ago, and I have never spoken to her since. Not even sure if she is still in this world and not bothered enough to try and find out. If she is she must be in her early eighties.
Her loss
I totally agree with blythburgh. Whatever her thoughts on the matter, there are ways and ways. I am sure the hurt remains, however much time has passed. For a completely different reason, I stopped talking to my father years back, when it became obvious that it was a one-way conversation. He died some years later and I did not attend the funeral, because that would have been hypocritical. I feel totally justified in my actions, but I still regret the way things turned out........

However, with reference to the previous postings in this thread, religion is often used as a cover for someone's inability to accept a different view or adjust their own moral compass ...... which may not always be pointing true North! ;) Just because "society" moves on, it doesn't mean there are no beached whales who find it difficult to accept the changes. Gay rights, immigration and a whole host of things are completely different from the model of the world they feel comfortable with.

When my father came to work here from Ireland in 1941 he was subject to discrimination of a kind I have never experienced and you would scarcely believe. Yet, he was a racist - and no matter how many times I pointed out that he was behaving as others had done to him, he could not change.
Just because I'm paranoid, it doesn't mean they're not out to get me

Boro Boy

Post by Boro Boy » Wed Nov 04, 2015 6:15 pm

It's amazing where talking about a plastic carrier bag gets you....!!!!
Thanked by: blythburgh

blythburgh

Post by blythburgh » Thu Nov 05, 2015 9:08 am

macliam wrote:
blythburgh wrote:
Her loss
I totally agree with blythburgh. Whatever her thoughts on the matter, there are ways and ways.
I have a Christian friend who regards adultery as one of the worst sins you can commit. His attitude to a couple of Christians who split after 29 years of marriage astounded me. Yes, the wife had fallen in love with someone else but they were not sleeping together. But as far as my friend was concerned she must be a scarlet woman" and the only one at fault for the marriage ending. I took the view that it was almost certainly a case of faults on both sides.

My Christian friend refused to sleep with any of his girl friends and was a virgin on his wedding night. Adultery and sex outside of marriage were a no no writ large in his mind. Homosexuality was totally wrong and should have remained illegal.

But he was in his words a militant atheist until several years after his marriage. His parents were more lip service Christians than ones who lived their lives according to their faith.

He still struggles with his feelings about homosexuality but at least has mellowed a lot over the years.

I am a practising Christian who is in support of gay marriage and find it very sad the vicars like the Rev Richard Coles can have live with their partner but must remain celebate.
Keep smiling because the light at the end of someone's tunnel may be you, Ron Cheneler

Boro Boy

Post by Boro Boy » Wed Nov 11, 2015 11:30 pm

Like I said; talking about plastic bags leads on to all sorts of conversations....!

xrppzi

Post by xrppzi » Thu Nov 12, 2015 8:48 am

Thoughts of Just a Minute! You should get a strike for hesitation, deviation or repetition!!! :D

macliam

Post by macliam » Thu Nov 12, 2015 9:02 am

xrppzi wrote:Thoughts of Just a Minute! You should get a strike for hesitation, deviation or repetition!!! :D
No!, no!, no!, no!, NO!! :shock: ......... deviation is the lifeblood of the forums.
Watching a mundane post evolve into a completely different topic is like watching a caterpillar evolve into a butterfly ... and just as messy :crazy:

Which reminds me, have you seen the price of Mars bars these days? :eh:
Just because I'm paranoid, it doesn't mean they're not out to get me

blythburgh

Post by blythburgh » Thu Nov 12, 2015 9:23 am

A bit like the 5p bag thing but deviating (again).

I knew the local Council were going to start charging for the green bin collection. In the green bin we can put all garden waste that is compostable apart from nasty weeds like Japanese Knotweed and Ragwort. And we can put fruit and veg peelings plus all food waste. (There is no food waste in our house just fruit and veg peelings as we cook by portion and never leave food to go past its sell by date).

But I got a terrible shock when I read the free glossy magazine that the Council send us on a regular basis (surely a cost saving could be made there if only by using a cheaper paper if not by cancelling it).

From 1st March 2016 when the charge for the green bin comes in we will no longer be able to put any food waste in the green bin. And the only vegetable matter will be from the garden, potato peelings etc must be put in the black landfill bin.

Why? I thought the idea was to cut down on the amount sent to landfill. Our fruit and veg peelings are currently going in the green bin along with bits and bobs out of our extremely small garden. And then they go to an anaerobic digester so produces enegy and produces soil improver so a real win win. In future it will go into my near neighbour's compost bin.

But I strongly suspect many around here will no longer have a green bin and everything will go to landfill. There is will decompose and the green house gas produced will go straight into the atmosphere and add to the global warming we are currently experiencing.