Breaking share news 2017

Discussion of the proposed Cashback Investment Club

Moderator: CIC officers

AAAlphaThunder

Re: Breaking share news 2017

Post by AAAlphaThunder » Mon May 15, 2017 12:11 pm

Star fund manager Neil Woodford is famous for never betting on banks. It was a gamble that paid off when the financial crisis came, and all his rivals saw their funds plunge.

But last night Woodford, 56, caused a stir on City trading floors when he snapped up £200million of shares in Lloyds Banking Group.

He has largely avoided banking stocks for the last 14 years due to their high levels of debt and large fines in the wake of the financial crisis.
Thanked by: blythburgh
[Secretary] imutual Cashback Investment Club

timco

Post by timco » Tue May 16, 2017 9:45 pm

The Government are now out of this share it should rise steadily without their constant selling at below market value. A poor move offering poor value for the British tax payer, remember that when the Tories lie to you about being strong, stable and good with the economy, but in pure terms good for the share.

parchedpeas

Post by parchedpeas » Tue May 16, 2017 11:04 pm

I'm pleased that they are out of Lloyds, but I agree that their sales strategy has been nuts, especially with Brexit looming and the restrictions on government subsidies going as we leave the EU.

So many very very strange / incompetent things happen at the heart of government. I'm sure there will be a few Tories who've been loading up on Lloyds for their portfolios in the Channel Islands these last few months.
Thanked by: blythburgh, timco

AAAlphaThunder

Post by AAAlphaThunder » Wed May 17, 2017 1:55 pm

parchedpeas wrote:I'm sure there will be a few Tories who've been loading up on Lloyds for their portfolios in the Channel Islands these last few months.
Truth be told, were I privy to same financial information I would have done the same (except with more money).

garindan

Post by garindan » Wed May 17, 2017 3:05 pm

timco wrote:The Government are now out of this share it should rise steadily without their constant selling at below market value. A poor move offering poor value for the British tax payer, remember that when the Tories lie to you about being strong, stable and good with the economy, but in pure terms good for the share.
I guess the counter argument is the Government is not an investment body and didn't buy the shares to make money. Government should be governing rather than having investment in our banks and if the opportunity comes to release the equity and return it to the public's coffers then it should do so. Banks are one thing Mr Corbyn isn't looking to nationalise - the irony of it all!
Thanked by: kevinchess1, parchedpeas
Chairman: iMutual's Cashback Investment Club (CIC) - contact me about joining!
Visit the Cashback Investment Club forum to find out more.

kevinchess1
Sharing: 3stars.png

Post by kevinchess1 » Wed May 17, 2017 4:11 pm

timco wrote:The Government are now out of this share it should rise steadily without their constant selling at below market value. A poor move offering poor value for the British tax payer, remember that when the Tories lie to you about being strong, stable and good with the economy, but in pure terms good for the share.
well said
We would definitely have 'Strong, Stable' government with Jerry and his Red gang in charge...or not
Politically incorrect since 69

parchedpeas

Post by parchedpeas » Wed May 17, 2017 4:29 pm

garindan wrote:
I guess the counter argument is the Government is not an investment body and didn't buy the shares to make money. Government should be governing rather than having investment in our banks and if the opportunity comes to release the equity and return it to the public's coffers then it should do so. Banks are one thing Mr Corbyn isn't looking to nationalise - the irony of it all!
I used to think that Government should stay away from the private sector and let people get on, but they don't and they can't really. Interventions in the market happen all over the place from Premium Bonds to Help To Buy Equity. They constantly try and regulate to encourage competition but it never really seems to work. Why not just own a bank and compete?

I can see the other side too, and it's the model we've had all these years, but I'm just not sure it works that well. In energy and rail it has hardly been a success. Telecoms, yes it has. But the Post Office? The service is broadly the same, but the price goes up and up and the private sector cherry pick the money spinning areas of the service and compete there, leaving Postman Pat delivering letters to Greendale and losing money each time he puts one through the letterbox. How much longer can that go on?

Anyway, off topic I know.

AAAlphaThunder

Post by AAAlphaThunder » Thu May 18, 2017 1:43 am

parchedpeas wrote:But the Post Office? The service is broadly the same, but the price goes up and up and the private sector cherry pick the money spinning areas of the service and compete there, leaving Postman Pat delivering letters to Greendale and losing money each time he puts one through the letterbox. How much longer can that go on?
There really should be a more even playing field where all players are bound by the same rules and regulations. The rules and regulations as they are constitute a hindrance to the Post Office and technical advantage to the competition!

William Joseph1

Post by William Joseph1 » Thu May 18, 2017 8:28 am

underdog wrote:
parchedpeas wrote:But the Post Office? The service is broadly the same, but the price goes up and up and the private sector cherry pick the money spinning areas of the service and compete there, leaving Postman Pat delivering letters to Greendale and losing money each time he puts one through the letterbox. How much longer can that go on?
There really should be a more even playing field where all players are bound by the same rules and regulations. The rules and regulations as they are constitute a hindrance to the Post Office and technical advantage to the competition!
The Royal Mail privatisation was designed to be at their disadvantage in order to encourage competition and new players into the market. It was felt at the time that a monopoly was not a good thing. Whether that was right or wrong is another issue.
It is polite to thank a post. If you like it or if you feel it has helped you. Use the thumb up on the top right of the post.

garindan

Post by garindan » Thu May 18, 2017 9:20 am

As someone using Royal Mail very regularly I can say the service is much improved since privatisation. How much that is because of privatisation as opposed to what was already planned is not quantifiable!
Chairman: iMutual's Cashback Investment Club (CIC) - contact me about joining!
Visit the Cashback Investment Club forum to find out more.