ebay cashback amount misleading

Spotted a problem on imutual? If it's not specific to your account, then post here and see if other members can help. Staff also monitor this forum and will reply as necessary
NetProfits

ebay cashback amount misleading

Post by NetProfits » Wed Jan 10, 2018 11:16 am

Please change the listed 10% ebay cashback as we only get 1%

kevinchess1
Sharing: 5stars.png

Re: ebay cashback amount misleading

Post by kevinchess1 » Wed Jan 10, 2018 11:20 am

It does say ‘ 10% of the sellers profit ‘ or similar
Politically incorrect since 69

richard@imutual
Sharing: 4stars.png

Post by richard@imutual » Wed Jan 10, 2018 11:50 am

The eBay cashback program has some drawbacks, not least the fact that they refuse to investigate missing transactions. Our choice is either to not promote it at all, or keep promoting it and be as transparent as possible about how it works

There are three points to bear in mind:
- Ebay pays imutual a % of the revenue it receives for each purchase
- We cannot reliably predict what that revenue will be as a % of the order value
- imutual cannot (sensibly) run the offer at a loss

If we were to promote the offer as a straight "% of order value" (as some other cashback sites do), we could make a significant loss on some transactions. For instance, there was a recent transaction which had an order value of £700 but only produced revenue of 8p for imutual. :eek: To be fair to Ebay they did at least investigate this individual example and came back with the following response:
I've checked the transaction in question and eBay's revenue (there was only Final Value Fee paid by the seller) was 83p. Our pricing model pays a percent of eBay revenue and that's why your earning was so low.

There are different seller promotions from time to time offered by eBay that may result in a significant reduction of seller fees.
Had we offered a flat 1% of order value, we would have had to pay out nearly 90 times as much cashback as we received in revenue

Sometime, this can work the other way around; you end up earning more at imutual due to the way we structure the offer than you would at other sites. So I feel that it's best for everyone if we keep the offer as it is, and people can choose between us and other sites depending on which they believe will result in a better outcome.

In most cases, you'll receive at least as much as you would at other sites (+ the shares)

I don't agree that the offer is misleading. On the offer page we state the following:
% of Ebay seller fee* 10%
and
* Rewards are based on a percentage of the fees paid by the seller when you make a purchase....Some categories may earn a lower % cashback reward than the headline rate advertised.
But if you think there's something we could add to make things even clearer, then feel free to suggest it :thumbup:

pakefield

Post by pakefield » Wed Jan 10, 2018 9:06 pm

Clear to me but on the very rare occasions I buy via ebay I forget to come here first. :oops:
Thanked by: Mel

b_m

Post by b_m » Mon Jan 15, 2018 9:51 pm

Leave it as it is.
Ebay do have many promotions, no fees, £1 etc and I can see where Richard is coming from.
Thanked by: blythburgh

Boro Boy

Post by Boro Boy » Tue Jan 16, 2018 12:12 am

pakefield wrote:Clear to me but on the very rare occasions I buy via ebay I forget to come here first. :oops:

This is the idea of a cash back site....! :wtf:
Thanked by: blythburgh, kevinchess1

blythburgh

Post by blythburgh » Tue Jan 16, 2018 8:49 am

Boro Boy wrote:
pakefield wrote:Clear to me but on the very rare occasions I buy via ebay I forget to come here first. :oops:

This is the idea of a cash back site....! :wtf:
Swagbucks flag up that I can earn cashback when I go shopping. I would be nice if imutual had an optional extension that would alert us. But that will have to wait until Richard returns full time to the running of imutual.

Unless someone out there could do it for the site of course.
Keep smiling because the light at the end of someone's tunnel may be you, Ron Cheneler