Debenhams Plus

Topical debate, moral dilemmas and quirky questions. Join fellow shareholders in civilised discussions of issues of interest
kevinchess1
Sharing: 5stars.png

Re: Debenhams Plus

Post by kevinchess1 » Wed Jan 31, 2018 10:04 pm

Maybe
But I think the issue here is that you don’t realise its not the same company
Thanked by: blythburgh
Politically incorrect since 69

Chadwick

Post by Chadwick » Thu Feb 01, 2018 9:27 am

Dream on wrote:I suppose it is not much different from a council outsourcing its homecare or school dinners to a private company. Equally as unethical in my opinion. If its a council service it should be provided by the council in house.
I disagree. You're asking the council to be experts at a lot of things. Why not just let the actual experts do it and benefit from their economies of scale and let them take the risk. For example, the NHS doesn't make any of the medicine it prescribes.

Having said that, there is a middle ground. I do agree that some services are core aspects of public sector provision and should be managed much more closely - even provided in-house.
Thanked by: blythburgh

blythburgh

Post by blythburgh » Thu Feb 01, 2018 9:35 am

Chadwick wrote:
Dream on wrote:I suppose it is not much different from a council outsourcing its homecare or school dinners to a private company. Equally as unethical in my opinion. If its a council service it should be provided by the council in house.
I disagree. You're asking the council to be experts at a lot of things. Why not just let the actual experts do it and benefit from their economies of scale and let them take the risk. For example, the NHS doesn't make any of the medicine it prescribes.

Having said that, there is a middle ground. I do agree that some services are core aspects of public sector provision and should be managed much more closely - even provided in-house.
Like hospital cleaning which is vital for keeping down hospital acquired diseases. Thatcher privatised it and a friend told me how a cleaner told him after privatisation she no longer enjoyed her job as she had to now clean 2 wards not one and had her hours cut.
Keep smiling because the light at the end of someone's tunnel may be you, Ron Cheneler

kevinchess1
Sharing: 5stars.png

Post by kevinchess1 » Thu Feb 01, 2018 6:58 pm

As memum (RIP) would have told you
In her day all cleaning was done by the nurses, did not have as many contagious diseases knocking around then
Thanked by: bprev, blythburgh
Politically incorrect since 69

blythburgh

Post by blythburgh » Fri Feb 02, 2018 8:36 am

kevinchess1 wrote:As memum (RIP) would have told you
In her day all cleaning was done by the nurses, did not have as many contagious diseases knocking around then
Er no, but Matron made sure the place was cleaner than spotless.

And all patients would have newspapers, books etc removed early in the day as as some point the Consultant would be making his rounds. Patients sat to attention and woe betide any of them had bedding with even a tiny crease in it. They dare not move until "god" had done his rounds.
Thanked by: kevinchess1, Dream on
Keep smiling because the light at the end of someone's tunnel may be you, Ron Cheneler

macliam

Post by macliam » Sat Feb 03, 2018 6:43 am

I found this at Christmas - Debenhams Plus were offering a mobile at a good price ....... but when I saw there was a disconnect with Debenhams themselves I smelled a rat. BUT, I didn't realise that the real company would pass you through - that's a real naughty!

IMHO, if that happens, the contract should be with the company you contact, not the eventual seller..... and they should take responsibility for warranty and customer service. That would quickly stop this shenanigans
Just because I'm paranoid, it doesn't mean they're not out to get me

macliam

Post by macliam » Sat Feb 03, 2018 6:49 am

blythburgh wrote:
Er no, but Matron made sure the place was cleaner than spotless..
Er, actually still yes to some extent.
In my recent stay cleaners only came in once a day. Nurses changed the beds and even mopped the floor at times - the only thing they didn't do was serve the food and collect the dishes.....
Thanked by: kevinchess1, blythburgh
Just because I'm paranoid, it doesn't mean they're not out to get me

blythburgh

Post by blythburgh » Sat Feb 03, 2018 10:46 am

macliam wrote:
blythburgh wrote:
Er no, but Matron made sure the place was cleaner than spotless..
Er, actually still yes to some extent.
In my recent stay cleaners only came in once a day. Nurses changed the beds and even mopped the floor at times - the only thing they didn't do was serve the food and collect the dishes.....
I understood the original post to be that the nurses did all the cleaning at one time. But as you say, nurses have always done some cleaning when the cleaners were not around.

expressman33

Post by expressman33 » Mon Feb 05, 2018 11:05 am

Thanked by: xxxraichxxx