2nd Brexit referendum?

Topical debate, moral dilemmas and quirky questions. Join fellow shareholders in civilised discussions of issues of interest
blythburgh
Posts: 14482
Joined: Tue Jun 29, 2010 7:14 pm
Location: The Far East
Has thanked: 30224 times
Been thanked: 5863 times
Contact:

2nd Brexit referendum?

Post by blythburgh » Sun Feb 04, 2018 9:40 am

I think there should be a 2nd one because we were all voting for a pig in a poke.

And after we know what is on offer the result is to leave it would mean that remainers would have no choice but to shut up.

Also this time 16 and 17 year olds should have the vote on the grounds that the Scottish Independence referendum gave them the vote because it affected their future.

Brexit affects the workers and future workers of this country far, far more than the non working pensioners.

I think the far right leaning media have drip feed so much distorted stories, supposition and down right lies over the years the pensioner vote especially will mean that a 2nd referendum will still be a vote for Brexit. But at least this time it would be truly democratic as we would know the terms of staying or going.
Thanked by: expressman33
Keep smiling because the light at the end of someone's tunnel may be you, Ron Cheneler

expressman33
Posts: 9618
Joined: Tue Jun 29, 2010 10:36 pm
Location: stockport
Has thanked: 2383 times
Been thanked: 10055 times
Contact:

Re: 2nd Brexit referendum?

Post by expressman33 » Sun Feb 04, 2018 9:47 am

I agree , a lot of broken "promises" by the politicians( as usual)
Thanked by: blythburgh

blythburgh
Posts: 14482
Joined: Tue Jun 29, 2010 7:14 pm
Location: The Far East
Has thanked: 30224 times
Been thanked: 5863 times
Contact:

Re: 2nd Brexit referendum?

Post by blythburgh » Sun Feb 04, 2018 10:00 am

expressman33 wrote:I agree , a lot of broken "promises" by the politicians( as usual)
Politcians tend to promise what they want to do, when they get in power they have to do what the circumstances dictate. As Harold MacMillan said in response to a journalist when asked what is most likely to blow governments off course, "Events, dear boy, events."

There were a lot of lies in the last Referendum, more on the Leave side than Remain side but the fact remains both sides were guilty of trying to pull the wool over the eyes of the voter.
Keep smiling because the light at the end of someone's tunnel may be you, Ron Cheneler

RonFlorabud
Posts: 2084
Joined: Tue Jan 11, 2011 8:58 am
Sharing: 2stars.png
Location: Rural Warwickshire
Has thanked: 1998 times
Been thanked: 962 times
Contact:

Re: 2nd Brexit referendum?

Post by RonFlorabud » Sun Feb 04, 2018 12:50 pm

Whatever happens, let's just get it done.
Thanked by: Boro Boy

Mel
Posts: 1916
Joined: Wed Jun 30, 2010 10:56 am
Has thanked: 2062 times
Been thanked: 1251 times
Contact:

Re: 2nd Brexit referendum?

Post by Mel » Sun Feb 04, 2018 1:31 pm

I am getting increasing fed up of listening to the losers going on and on about having another referendum. You LOST you bunch of traitors. If you love mainland Europe so much then why don't you go and live there and leave the rest of us to govern our country the way we want to and not be told what to do by a bunch of bungling incompetent bankrupt countries.
Thanked by: RonFlorabud

macliam
Posts: 8059
Joined: Thu Jul 18, 2013 12:26 pm
Location: By the Deben, Suffolk
Has thanked: 1405 times
Been thanked: 7008 times
Contact:

Re: 2nd Brexit referendum?

Post by macliam » Sun Feb 04, 2018 1:44 pm

Mel wrote:I am getting increasing fed up of listening to the losers going on and on about having another referendum. You LOST you bunch of traitors. If you love mainland Europe so much then why don't you go and live there and leave the rest of us to govern our country the way we want to and not be told what to do by a bunch of bungling incompetent bankrupt countries.
Either this is a joke or you are a joke. Which?
Thanked by: blythburgh, Chadwick
Just because I'm paranoid, it doesn't mean they're not out to get me

Mel
Posts: 1916
Joined: Wed Jun 30, 2010 10:56 am
Has thanked: 2062 times
Been thanked: 1251 times
Contact:

Re: 2nd Brexit referendum?

Post by Mel » Sun Feb 04, 2018 2:17 pm

macliam wrote:
Mel wrote:I am getting increasing fed up of listening to the losers going on and on about having another referendum. You LOST you bunch of traitors. If you love mainland Europe so much then why don't you go and live there and leave the rest of us to govern our country the way we want to and not be told what to do by a bunch of bungling incompetent bankrupt countries.
Either this is a joke or you are a joke. Which?
Why do you think I am a joke? Is it because I don't share your views?
We were taken into Europe by traitor Heath without any say in the matter and I have been opposed to our membership from the beginning.

timco
Posts: 822
Joined: Thu Dec 30, 2010 10:58 pm
Has thanked: 32 times
Been thanked: 651 times
Contact:

Re: 2nd Brexit referendum?

Post by timco » Sun Feb 04, 2018 2:54 pm

Mel wrote:
Why do you think I am a joke? Is it because I don't share your views?
We were taken into Europe by traitor Heath without any say in the matter and I have been opposed to our membership from the beginning.
You mean we did not have a referendum in which over 2/3rds of the voters supported a yes vote?

Personally I think this is a stupid idea where the lower classes are being duped by the upper classes into allowing them to return them to a time when they had control over them.

I don't however want another referendum (did not want the last one) because I want those over paid politicians to do their job and do what is in the best interests of the country regardless of what the voters think.

They do this with persecuting those sick/old/disabled, they took us into a wars we did not want why can they not decide the right course on this be it in or out without any of the lies they currently espouse.

You say you have been opposed to our membership since the beginning so you are opposed to the wealth we have in this country and to the laws protecting the consumer and to protecting employment? All of these are brought about by our membership of a large collective which is the only way forward in the modern world.
Thanked by: blythburgh

macliam
Posts: 8059
Joined: Thu Jul 18, 2013 12:26 pm
Location: By the Deben, Suffolk
Has thanked: 1405 times
Been thanked: 7008 times
Contact:

Re: 2nd Brexit referendum?

Post by macliam » Sun Feb 04, 2018 3:19 pm

Mel wrote:
macliam wrote:
Mel wrote:I am getting increasing fed up of listening to the losers going on and on about having another referendum. You LOST you bunch of traitors. If you love mainland Europe so much then why don't you go and live there and leave the rest of us to govern our country the way we want to and not be told what to do by a bunch of bungling incompetent bankrupt countries.
Either this is a joke or you are a joke. Which?
Why do you think I am a joke? Is it because I don't share your views?
We were taken into Europe by traitor Heath without any say in the matter and I have been opposed to our membership from the beginning.
Grow up. My comment is due to your use of words like "traitor" and ridiculously disparaging remarks about other states where, I would surmise, you have limited knowledge or experience. Whether or not you share my views is inconsequential, you do not share my experience either. You also seem to forget that there was a previous referendum on EEC membership - is that because you were on the wrong side of that one?
Thanked by: blythburgh, Chadwick
Just because I'm paranoid, it doesn't mean they're not out to get me

parchedpeas
Posts: 324
Joined: Tue Jun 29, 2010 1:34 pm
Has thanked: 185 times
Been thanked: 361 times
Contact:

Re: 2nd Brexit referendum?

Post by parchedpeas » Sun Feb 04, 2018 4:24 pm

If the leave voters are serious, then it really is in their interests to have a second referendum. The next generation are not going to let their futures be defined by a 52% share of the vote, held in the middle of an austerity squeeze and without a clear definition as to what 'leave' really meant. If the people are not able to vote on the deal then it will simply be overturned at the first opportunity and we'll be straight back into the EU.

The country voted to leave, now the government will try and secure that in the least damaging way possible, then at the end of that we should be able to choose between leaving on those terms or keeping the status quo.

The whole thing will end up a 'Suez'-style national humiliation. My only comfort is that, thanks to the EU, my daughter won't grow up with the irrational dislike of all of our foreign friends and neighbours and will be part of a generation that run to fully embrace our role in the middle of a Union of European states. If this petty Leave vote is the trigger for a more integrationist UK in the future, after we've recovered from our self-imposed isolation, then maybe it won't be such a bad thing.

That said, I'd rather remain.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests