2nd Brexit referendum?

Topical debate, moral dilemmas and quirky questions. Join fellow shareholders in civilised discussions of issues of interest
parchedpeas

Re: 2nd Brexit referendum?

Post by parchedpeas » Mon Feb 05, 2018 9:29 am

"Traitor", "Enemies of the people", "Betrayal of the will of the people": these are all words used by people who have lost the argument.

The Brexiters have won the vote but have failed to win any of the discussion. They're nervous because they know that, despite campaigning for this for 35+ years, now the time has come to actually show us what they want they've not got a single idea. They look directionless, clueless, they can't answer simple questions about what they want to do next and they know that the wheels are falling off their wagon. They can't afford to let this go to a 2nd referendum because they know that common sense would prevail and we would vote to stay in.

So they have to bully and shout and intimidate. Don't let them win. Laugh along with their hissy-fit and then just ask them where these new trade deals are that don't already exists (answer: there are none), where the new customers are that will replace 43% of our exports (answer: they're already buying our things, they don't want or need more), who are the people that are currently unable to buy British products (answer: there are none).

Brexit is a hissy-fit against immigration. The leave voters want to see fewer brown faces on our streets. Hilarously, they've voted to stop white Polish Christians coming into Britain and voted for us to do free trade and free movement deals with Muslim countries instead. They've actually voted for MORE immigration from the countries they have an issue with.

I can't wait to see who they're going to blame next time around.

blythburgh

Post by blythburgh » Mon Feb 05, 2018 9:35 am

dorisifa wrote:I think we need a British Revolution in which these Remain Euro quislings and the culturally tainted are put in stocks in the town square and pelted with pork pies, crumpets and wax jackets. And then shot of course.
:lol:
Thanked by: xxxraichxxx
Keep smiling because the light at the end of someone's tunnel may be you, Ron Cheneler

Chadwick

Post by Chadwick » Mon Feb 05, 2018 11:23 am

Mel wrote:I am getting increasing fed up of listening to the losers going on and on about having another referendum. You LOST you bunch of traitors. If you love mainland Europe so much then why don't you go and live there and leave the rest of us to govern our country the way we want to and not be told what to do by a bunch of bungling incompetent bankrupt countries.
Mel, have a look at yourself, screaming at people you don't know. I don't know what you think you 'won', but you're not acting like a winner.

If your attitude is what it means to be British, then I will gladly disassociate myself from it.

It is comments like yours that denigrate the British character and culture. If you don't like modern Britain, then perhaps it is you who should leave and find somewhere more isolationist and inward looking where you can ignore and shut out the rest of the world. The rest of us can stay here and get on with living and working with our neighbours, instead of fighting them.
Last edited by Chadwick on Mon Feb 05, 2018 11:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

Chadwick

Post by Chadwick » Mon Feb 05, 2018 11:33 am

Boro Boy wrote:What is the argument here? We have had a decision of the people in a democratic way. Once the outcome of that decision has been carried out we can decide if we require a further decision at that point but it should not even be an issue until the point that the first decision has been carried out.
The issue is that we don't know what the decision was. Sure, we voted to 'leave' but 18 months later, do you know what that means? Our government doesn't, our negotiators don't, the people who convinced you to vote leave can't agree what it means. So, how can we carry out that decision when we don't know what we're trying to achieve?

The idea of a second referendum is to confirm that now we know what we're doing, do we want to do it? Is the negotiated agreement actually the will of the people?
Last edited by Chadwick on Mon Feb 05, 2018 12:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

expressman33

Post by expressman33 » Mon Feb 05, 2018 11:40 am

The referendum was like asking someone to choose between 2 presents when they are both wrapped up . Until the wrapping paper is taken off you can't decide properly

parchedpeas

Post by parchedpeas » Mon Feb 05, 2018 1:17 pm

expressman33 wrote:The referendum was like asking someone to choose between 2 presents when they are both wrapped up . Until the wrapping paper is taken off you can't decide properly
Yeah but one is in Union Jack wrapping paper. So it's better. It just is.

IT JUST IS.

FREEDOM PAPER! Release the present from it's wrapping shackles which have been keeping it covered up all this time!
Thanked by: dorisifa, blythburgh, Dream on

dorisifa

Post by dorisifa » Mon Feb 05, 2018 4:20 pm

Let's face it, the brexiteers voted for a unicorn. They were promised unicorns. What they're [edit: we're] getting is a donkey with a loo roll tube stuck to its head. There's two ways to go. Either get angry with those who bought a vote on false promises, or swear blind that donkey is a unicorn and berate anyone who says it isn't.
Last edited by dorisifa on Mon Feb 05, 2018 9:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
But apart from that Mrs Lincoln how was the play?

macliam

Post by macliam » Mon Feb 05, 2018 6:42 pm

Interestingly, have you noticed that any talk of other member states joining the UK in a rush to the exit has disappeared? They've seen what a can of worms it is and want nothing to do with it. Whilst all the forebodings of doom might be OTT, I haven't seen any independent claims that the UK will prosper better outside the EU either.

I'm afraid talk of a second referendum is pointless. The damage is done - if the EU agreed to rescind Article 50 it would likely be on worse terms and with a hefty bill for the disruption caused. Far from being the beginning of the end for the EU, it's reality time for the UK - and the reality is that it has a home-market served by imports, an industrial base that doesn't compete, low efficiency and a focus on services. Now that most of the family silver has been sold off, it will be a target for those countries that want the skills it still has available. The Icarus of Europe.
Thanked by: blythburgh, emsky
Just because I'm paranoid, it doesn't mean they're not out to get me

Chadwick

Post by Chadwick » Tue Feb 06, 2018 9:10 am

macliam wrote:I'm afraid talk of a second referendum is pointless. The damage is done - if the EU agreed to rescind Article 50 it would likely be on worse terms and with a hefty bill for the disruption caused.
I disagree. We haven't left yet, nothing has changed, so there's nothing to revert if we cancel Article 50.
The UK would need to rescind the European Union (Withdrawal) Bill, but as that largely deals what happens on the event of our leaving, it's possible there's no urgency to that.
But our relationship with the EU hasn't changed yet, and we wouldn't be asking for any changes if we rescind Article 50. I would expect our terms to remain the same. Neither would I anticipate a bill from the EU. They're not billing us for their time now, so I would not expect them to bill us if we call the whole show off.

Of course this whole charade has damaged Britain's standing - economically and politically - in the world, and the effects of that will continue for some time into the future. A second referendum would be our choice to decide if we want to continue that slide indefinitely (leave), or whether we want to stop it, get with the programme, and resume our role in the governance of Europe (remain).

blythburgh

Post by blythburgh » Tue Feb 06, 2018 9:36 am

I would like to say that unlike Mel I have respect for those who have made an informed decision to vote to leave. But I have no respect for the selfish pensioners and "can't work/won't work" people who voted leave to stop any foreigners coming here. And I despair for those who think 1940 was a golden age when we stood alone and won against all odds and that 2019 will replicate it.

Sorry but the world has changed dramatically since the brave people of 1940 stood alone. Well not really alone, there were the free French and the Free Poles etc here. A lot of the Polish airforce decided to leave their beloved homeland and flew their planes here to continue the fight. Not all Battle of Britain aircrew were White Brits, in the same way as people from all over the then Empire of every colour and creed were fighting under the British flag.
Keep smiling because the light at the end of someone's tunnel may be you, Ron Cheneler