40 Stores to close....

Money, investing, mutuals etc
William Joseph1

Re: 40 Stores to close....

Post by William Joseph1 » Fri Feb 09, 2018 8:42 am

WH Smith has been on the down for years. Quite surprised it is still around.
It is polite to thank a post. If you like it or if you feel it has helped you. Use the thumb up on the top right of the post.

blythburgh

Post by blythburgh » Fri Feb 09, 2018 10:32 am

Homebase is the only one that is easy for us to get to. But tend to buy from independents in nearby towns when we want stuff.
Keep smiling because the light at the end of someone's tunnel may be you, Ron Cheneler

Boro Boy

Post by Boro Boy » Fri Feb 09, 2018 11:38 am

Constantine wrote:
Boro Boy wrote:..This is the latest of many announcements of restructuring and closures in the retail markets; something is happening out there...
The interweb will wipe out big chunks of bricks and mortar retail. In fact it already has. Plus, of course, austerity. We are still recovering from the disaster that was Bungler Brown. Real wages aren't that much higher than they were a decade ago. So, as you see in the grocery business; discounters like Lidl are booming, the big 4 are getting squeezed and are cutting their cost base.

There will be casualties. :)

Many companies on the high street 10 years ago have now vanished and like you said, I think there will be more...

Sarah

Post by Sarah » Fri Feb 09, 2018 2:21 pm

Chadwick wrote:I'll add WH Smiths to the list. I feel their stores need a facelift, but it looks like either there isn't the cash, or the confidence to do so.
Thanks for a reminder to take another look at... ** NOT SAFE FOR WORK/UNDER 18s **
https://twitter.com/WHS_Carpet?ref_src= ... r%5Eauthor

I think their Homebase strategy also has a credibility problem; who actually believes the everyday low prices slogan? Their former customers are probably still waiting for sales/promotions that never came. In the meantime, people know that competitors like Screwfix and Toolstation do genuinely have everyday low prices, so how are they going to convince those customers to try Homebase instead? If they did actually re-brand Homebase it would probably have helped to get the message across that things had changed.
Thanked by: blythburgh

pabenny

Post by pabenny » Fri Feb 09, 2018 2:25 pm

House of Fraser as well. Department stores seem particularly vulnerable...
...WH Smiths...
HoF - agree, although the more upmarket territory they try to occupy alongside Harvey Nichols and Selfridges may save them. The myriad of smaller department stores look totally doomed.

WHSmith. I don't know - I wrote them off long ago. They invented the station newsagent and have dominated the travel sector ever since. They've successfully downsized and focused on news, books and stationery and have cut staff costs by installing self-checkouts. Although they are a shadow of their former glory, they may be a survivor.

Sarah

Post by Sarah » Fri Feb 09, 2018 2:42 pm

I don't disagree. WHSmith are slowly retreating from the high street; many branches survive by providing space for a Post Office inside. Some now have coffee shops, which could help their margins. It might be their destiny to go full circle and end up only having outlets at places like rail stations, airports and motorway services.

kevinchess1
Sharing: 3stars.png

Post by kevinchess1 » Fri Feb 09, 2018 2:42 pm

i ADD qUEENSWAY AND rUmbelows to that list as well
Politically incorrect since 69

timco

Post by timco » Fri Feb 09, 2018 5:07 pm

It was quite surprising to me that Wesfarmers took over Homebase and then a further surprise when they said it would be rebranded Bunnings Warehouse as I could see that quite a lot of the Homebase estate are not suitable in my view to become a Bunnings Warehouse.

So in that not a big surprise that they want to close stores TBF I think 40 is a very low number expected it to be more.

Having said that I have picked up some right bargains with the stock they have been getting rid of because it does not fit the Bunnings stock profile. I even got myself a very nice axe for £3 so I am reedy for the zombie apocalypse.

They also did a great service to Sainsburys who did not want the headache of getting rid of Homebase again!

Boro Boy

Post by Boro Boy » Fri Feb 09, 2018 11:16 pm

kevinchess1 wrote:i ADD qUEENSWAY AND rUmbelows to that list as well
BHS
Somerfields
Woolworths... :crazy:

Constantine

Post by Constantine » Sat Feb 10, 2018 9:52 am

Boro Boy wrote: