Broadband providers

macliam

Broadband providers

Post by macliam » Mon Feb 19, 2018 11:24 am

There are a plethora of fixed broadband internet providers out there and many offer tempting cashback from time to time. They range from the established "Big Boys", BT, Virgin, TalkTalk to smaller or newer entrants like the Post Office, or Vodafone.

However, as with most things, not all are equal - and some fall far below the standard we would like to expect, This may be due to limitations in downloads, or capping, or poor customer service or many, many other reasons - and a quick search on Google will bring you many different opinions on any one of them. BUT, at the end of the day, most people who bother to write have had a bad experience ..... or their requirements may be very different to your own.

I have been with Plusnet for the past few years and they have been OK, a few dropouts but generally the service has been there when I want it. I find their accounting somewhat strange and every new contract has had me checking the bills and writing emails.... but they have always got it right in the end. The downside is that I am "in the sticks" and 2 miles from my local exchange, so DSL is not the best - I only get about 3mbps (and no other DSL provider would get me much more). Previously I was with BT and my download speed never got near 3mbps.

Now my contract is coming to an end and Vodafone are offering 38 mbps fibre cheaper than Plusnet's DSL offering to me (and far, far cheaper than Plusnet's fibre offering - especially to an existing client). I don't expect to get 38mbps, but anything better than 3mbps is a bonus for me, so it's an attractive offer. BUT, I don't need problems either and I've seen some pretty poor reviews of Vodafone's service, suggesting drop-outs and poor performance ..... and I don't know if this is a real issue or not.

So - who are you with and what's your experience? No problems is a positive, because, at the end of the day, that's what we all want, the best service at the best price.... but equally, horror stories are always interesting! I'm particularly interested with anyone on vodafone - but any feedback will be useful for all of us.

Over to you.....
Last edited by macliam on Wed Feb 21, 2018 9:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Thanked by: blythburgh
Just because I'm paranoid, it doesn't mean they're not out to get me

expressman33

Re: Broadband providers

Post by expressman33 » Mon Feb 19, 2018 11:52 am

Are you able to get fibre ?

blythburgh

Post by blythburgh » Mon Feb 19, 2018 11:54 am

expressman33 wrote:Are you able to get fibre ?
More likely lucky to get dial up snail speed
Keep smiling because the light at the end of someone's tunnel may be you, Ron Cheneler

macliam

Post by macliam » Mon Feb 19, 2018 12:09 pm

expressman33 wrote:Are you able to get fibre ?
Yes - both Voda and Plusnet confirmed access and capacity. Now you don't need extensive work in the house to get fibre it seems a no-brainer (first time I looked they wanted to install a new breakout box and it sounded messy).

Voda's offer is actually £2 a month less than Plusnet DSL and £8 less than Plusnet fibre for me. That's why it's attractive - if I can get more bandwidth for less cash, it seems too good to be true..... which is my problem!

macliam

Post by macliam » Mon Feb 19, 2018 3:41 pm

Lots of reads, but not many comments :eh:

Everyone is using an ISP and I'd have thought we all have an opinion on them ..... so asking for comments on something we all need seemed a good use of the forum.... was I wrong? :shifty:

xxxraichxxx

Post by xxxraichxxx » Mon Feb 19, 2018 3:57 pm

try looking at the MSE page https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/phone ... -broadband and https://broadband.moneysavingexpert.com ... 1519055451 ( look at the customer rating) then see what the cashback sites are offering in cashback
Thanked by: macliam, blythburgh

macliam

Post by macliam » Mon Feb 19, 2018 4:59 pm

xxxraichxxx wrote:try looking at the MSE page https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/phone ... -broadband and https://broadband.moneysavingexpert.com ... 1519055451 ( look at the customer rating) then see what the cashback sites are offering in cashback
Cheers, I've seen that - but (heresy) to be honest I'm not bothered about cashback or the cheapest price on this in the first instance, because I need something that works!

As I said at the start, there are loads of comments on the web about the various ISPs, BUT a lot are negative because people shout louder when they have a problem. There are also people who are patently not in my position, so their comments are not very relevant ... e.g. "They said 38mbps and I only get 35!!" (try 3mbps on a 17mbps service!). What has worried me is people talking about speeds dropping through the floor at peak times and/or regular loss of service.

Chadwick

Post by Chadwick » Mon Feb 19, 2018 6:30 pm

I'm with PlusNet.

We were with them for a year, then switched to BT because it was cheaper with their cashback offer. We figured that as we were on the cheapest, most basic broadband there'd be no difference.

BT were a pain in the ass. Kept getting dropouts, the router resetting (you have to use their Homehub), having to use their Homehub meant we weren't able to use the 'guest' network we'd had previously.

We quit BT as soon as the year was up and switched back to PlusNet, who have 'done us proud' so far. We probably won't switch away from them at the end of the year, even though the introductory offer will end and they will become more expensive.

Pandora

Post by Pandora » Mon Feb 19, 2018 6:33 pm

Plusnet is owned by BT.

macliam

Post by macliam » Mon Feb 19, 2018 7:05 pm

Pandora wrote:Plusnet is owned by BT.
True, but I got better bandwidth on DSL after changing from BT a few years back. Nothing spectacular - but getting 3mbps rather than 2.6mbps is a move in the right direction.

I have no real complaints about Plusnet, but an offer of 38mbps fibre for less than renewing my Plusnet DSL is tempting. But I have been reading a few horror stories about Vodafone (and primarily the router they supply), that's the reason for my post.
If you look at BT, you'll find equal horror stories and a few people have not been "done proud" by Plusnet .... that's why it's hard to get a true view.

The only thing I was less than happy about was that my estimated speed was 35mbps, yet Voda tried to flog me 76mbps fibre. I pointed out the 38mbps and they said OK, I could go for that (gee thanks!). I don't see the point of contracting for a bandwidth higher than I can achieve .... or am I wrong?
Last edited by macliam on Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:12 am, edited 1 time in total.