Broadband providers

Phil85

Re: Broadband providers

Post by Phil85 » Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:18 pm

We are with BT on the 76mbps fibre and have no problems.

We were with PlusNet on the 38mpsb fibre which was OK but about 18 months ago we switched when BT were offering a really good deal with cashback which made it cheaper for the higher speed. I wouldn't notice the difference but my son says it is much better for playing his X-Box games.

I've looked to switch again when BT put their prices up but nothing's ever worked out cheaper for the same speed when everything is taken into account (we have the basic TV service and free weekend calls too) and the price didn't increase if we started a new contract so it's still £36.49 a month for us.

In fact my son got quite worried when I said I was looking to change as apparently we actually get 80mbps here - hadn't realised you could actually get higher than the quoted speed but I think we are lucky in being quite close to the BT exchange.

In summary - I would recommend BT if you need the high speed and can get a good deal, router has always worked fine and it's been very reliable.
Thanked by: blythburgh

Chadwick

Post by Chadwick » Tue Feb 20, 2018 8:43 am

Pandora wrote:Plusnet is owned by BT.
I know. And yet our experience was quite different.

blythburgh

Post by blythburgh » Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:28 am

macliam all you need to do to get a decent speed from BT or Plusnet is to move next to the BT exchange in Ipswich.

Would I swap your lovely village for Ipswich? Is the Pope a good Protestant?
Keep smiling because the light at the end of someone's tunnel may be you, Ron Cheneler

Constantine

Post by Constantine » Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:59 am

I have BT Infinity 76Mbps.

I have no choice in the matter. According to my children, 76Mbps is the minimum acceptable.

macliam

Post by macliam » Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:20 am

So far, everyone seems to have stayed with BT or Plusnet - and a fair few have taken fibre, but still stuck with the big boys....

As I've said, the only way I'll get a better download speed here is to move to fibre - but even then I won't get the full whack and the price differential makes it a difficult choice. My current thoughts are to let my Plusnet contract run to end and then see if they want to strike a bargain on fibre because I'm certainly not going to pay their headline price to move to a new service.
Just because I'm paranoid, it doesn't mean they're not out to get me

blythburgh

Post by blythburgh » Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:59 am

Always worth talking to your existing provider
Keep smiling because the light at the end of someone's tunnel may be you, Ron Cheneler

macliam

Post by macliam » Tue Feb 20, 2018 11:13 am

blythburgh wrote:Always worth talking to your existing provider
Keep up! ;)

Already did that and was less than impressed with Plusnet's attitude - basically, take it or leave it. Strategy now is to wait and get to the stage where they take my threat of leaving more seriously.

However, that's just putting off the inevitable as all the players are committed to attracting new users at the cost of higher charges to existing ones. The frustration is that, unlike energy, the service received is complex and does depend on the provider - broadband that is slow, or unstable, or limited can often be improved by going to another ISP, but it can also get worse!
Just because I'm paranoid, it doesn't mean they're not out to get me

pabenny

Post by pabenny » Tue Feb 20, 2018 11:26 am

Terrible experience with TalkTalk - new service up and running for about three weeks, all fine. Then cancelled by them without warning or explanation. Their response was dreadful - lies and half-truths to explain/justify the cancellation and no willingness to expedite a solution. Other people I know have also had bad experiences.

pieman

Post by pieman » Tue Feb 20, 2018 1:35 pm

I was with Plusnet for years and generally very happy with the service,

but as we moved towards streaming our tv programmes, the cost of upgrading and staying with Plus net was far more than switching to another another provider.

So we had Sky for a year, which was okay but sometimes had problems when we were using broadband on more than one device at a time eg tv, computer, phone.

Now switched to BT -

Generally a lot faster, but because we are in an old house, the main phone socket (which BT Hub needs to be plugged into) is nowhere near a mains powerpoint.

The landline works off the extension cable, as did the previous two broadband providers, but we have had to plug the BT hub in the spare bedroom .

Due to the light coming from the router, this has proved not to be ideal when we have guests.

So, in summary, in terms of speed the best so far, but a pain due to having to plug into a main phone socket.

RonFlorabud
Sharing: 4stars.png

Post by RonFlorabud » Wed Feb 21, 2018 7:19 am

Been with Plusnet for years and as others have said been pretty happy. Support is good and they usually have some good deals for new customers. Need to phone them each year (or whenever the contract gets close) to negotiate a decent deal. I know I'm not getting the best deal, but all-in-all can't fault them much.

Would certainly not consider talktalk however cheap they may be!