40 Stores to close....

Money, investing, mutuals etc
Boro Boy

Re: 40 Stores to close....

Post by Boro Boy » Sun Apr 15, 2018 2:05 pm

planteria wrote:well, most of what i have bought is worth significantly more than i paid.. Amazon are below their high, and I have a target number of shares in mind. i'm 90% there.

and importantly, what else do you suggest? any 'value' to be had which benefits from underlying trends in anything like the same way?
Stick to your plan; I'm sure you realise you're buying at a premium at the current time but who is to say that premium won't broaden in the short term and you may benefit from that... :think:

pabenny

Post by pabenny » Sun Apr 15, 2018 4:51 pm

There are lots more casualties to come in retail. Online is still growing as the high street declines and even those retailers with a strong online service (eg Next) have a considerable estate that will act as a drag on profitability. Brand premiums are diminishing - why buy Persil or even Tesco own label when Aldi detergent performs just as well for a lower price. And arguably, we have passed 'peak stuff'' - years of economic squeeze are teaching us not to fill our homes with stuff we don't need.

The retailers that I see as long-term winners - such as Aldi, Ikea, John Lewis, Primark - don't have shares you can invest in. In the medium term, I think the acquisition of Argos by J Sainsbury looks canny and the execution seems to be effective. Dixons Carphone have repositioned themselves many times over the last 25 years and may be a survivor if they can withstand the relentless price deflation.
Thanked by: planteria

planteria

Post by planteria » Sun Apr 15, 2018 7:56 pm

Boro Boy wrote:much better prospects elsewhere...

Boro Boy wrote:Stick to your plan;
:problem:.

Boro Boy

Post by Boro Boy » Sun Apr 15, 2018 9:04 pm

planteria wrote:
Boro Boy wrote:much better prospects elsewhere...

Boro Boy wrote:Stick to your plan;
:problem:.

You must be a Politician...? Take two sentences from two seperate conversations and add them together to make something new with a completely different context - but thats not smart, in fact I wouldn't even put my name to it if I was you!

Yes there are different prospects about and a lot at far less of a premium and perhaps statistically easier to make capital!

Yes when someone makes a plan they usually don't just pull it out of the air, they have thought about it. I merely said they should stick with there plan this close to their target....

Now it is put into context it sound nothing like your interpretation. If I was you I would appologise for your entry, it would make you a bigger man.
Thanked by: planteria

kevinchess1
Sharing: 5stars.png

Post by kevinchess1 » Sun Apr 15, 2018 9:16 pm

Out of all the things that Posters have said about you and THIS is the one you want an apology for?
Politically incorrect since 69

planteria

Post by planteria » Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:00 am

:problem: .. yes put together, very clearly, with nothing untoward, and the context is clear for all to see.

i trade with retailers and these changes in the marketplace are interesting, and being discussed in detail here. i have been open about my Amazon investment here, i'm open to suggestions, and thought it sensible to look at investment angles along with commiserating. if there are "much better prospects elsewhere" i'm interested to know what they are.
Thanked by: blythburgh

planteria

Post by planteria » Thu Apr 19, 2018 9:45 am

Thanked by: blythburgh

blythburgh

Post by blythburgh » Thu Apr 19, 2018 10:50 am

planteria wrote:Debenhams further slide..
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-43820573
Blaming Christmas sales so that does not bode well for anyone on the High Street.
Thanked by: Dream on
Keep smiling because the light at the end of someone's tunnel may be you, Ron Cheneler

blythburgh

Post by blythburgh » Thu Apr 19, 2018 11:50 am

pabenny wrote:
blythburgh wrote:On a limited income so have to shop carefully but worth saying no to a special offer to keep the corner shop (it is on a corner) and most of the time I pay the same in Tesco as there.
But are you just paying to keep the corner shop open so that it's there for you to buy things at a higher price so that it stays open?
We always buy our Fairy Washing up Liquid at the corner shop and got some more on Saturday. Looked at the price in Tesco om Monday and checked in the corner shop yesterday. Tesco was charging £1.30 and the corner shop is charging £1.29

So almost all of the time I pay the same or less at the corner shop. One item we do choose to pay a few pennies more for but that is the only thing I am aware is more expensive. And that is comparing the own label product in Tesco with the Booker label product.
Keep smiling because the light at the end of someone's tunnel may be you, Ron Cheneler

pabenny

Post by pabenny » Thu Apr 19, 2018 12:28 pm

planteria wrote:Debenhams further slide..
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-43820573
Told you so...
pabenny wrote:..
For example, House of Fraser and Debenhams seem to me increasingly irrelevant and have nothing that isn't found elsewhere on the high street. I don't even think of shopping at either - and to judge by the stores that I pass, nor do other people.