No. I agree that the tone is patronising, but there is some truth in it, so No, I don't think the remainers were wrong.Boro Boy wrote:That's very patronising! Had you ever thought that the minority (the remainers) could be wrong?blythburgh wrote:Whatever we say here UKIP members and many readers of the press like The Mail, Express and Sun have made up their minds and nothing will make them see that what they "know" to be a fact is not acturally true.
But everything I've heard used as a "reason" for Brexit is largely incorrect:
- Brexit will stop unwelcome immigration. No it won't, or not any more than the appropriate actions by HM Government would have done whilst IN the EU (e.g. the enforcement of the 3-month registration process and consequent need to prove no burden on the state).
- Brexit will save the UK millions of pounds a week. No, it won't , because the drop in trade and the costs of maintaining borders, tariffs, etc. will eat that. Plus the UK will still need to contribute to any supra-national organizations of which it is a part.
- Brexit will give control back to parliament. Will it? Will it really? I think not, judging by the situation thus far.
- Brexit will restore the UK's sovereignty. Sovereignty was never lost, it was SHARED - and whilst the UK belongs to any supra-national bodies (UN, NATO, even the beloved WTO) that will continue to be the case.
- Brexit will get rid of EU laws and red-tape. No it won't - it's all supposedly being copied into UK law.
- Brexit will stop Brussels imposing legislation. Cats are Fish again. Brussels never did "impose" legislation because all laws are passed through the EU parliament and then via the nation-state's own legislature.
- Brexit will allow the UK to trade with other countries on better terms In what world would a nation of 60m get better terms than a bloc of 500m? In what world will China and the USA do special favours for the UK?
But people voted with their hearts, not their heads - or with heads full of disinformation. Do you REALLY think Moggy and Boris are on the side of the common man?
We won't even start on the things it puts at risk...........