SSE: trying to charge for energy already paid for..

Discussion about miscellaneous topics not covered by other forums
planteria

SSE: trying to charge for energy already paid for..

Post by planteria » Mon May 28, 2018 6:52 am

acquired a property earlier this year. it had a pre-payment meter, supplied by SSE (as it happens using a British Gas key). the same meter is still installed, but i moved the supply across to Co-op Energy. SSE are now chasing for unpaid electricity: calling, texting, writing to threaten defaults, debt collectors and legal action. it's a pre-payment meter, so by definition the electricity has been pre-paid.

anyone been through this or have a link to advice re. dealing with this? i have heard reference to exactly this, with SSE, a few months ago.

expressman33

Re: SSE: trying to charge for energy already paid for..

Post by expressman33 » Mon May 28, 2018 12:55 pm

The most likely thing is the price has increased but the meter has still been using the old/cheaper price.You are not actually prepaying for all the power you use but are paying towards the bill

Another possibility was the previous occupier paying back arrears by using the prepayment meter ,if they/you didn't inform SSE of a new occupier maybe SSE have been taking money off you for the arrears

William Joseph1

Post by William Joseph1 » Mon May 28, 2018 1:32 pm

Perhaps you should ask them exactly why they are attempting to get this money from you. They should be in a position to justify the debt. If not happy with their reply then a complaint to the Energy Ombudsman might be in order.
planteria wrote:SSE are now chasing for unpaid electricity: calling, texting, writing to threaten defaults, debt collectors and legal action.
This would appear to be harassment and this is not allowed in the collection of debts nowadays.
Thanked by: planteria, blythburgh
It is polite to thank a post. If you like it or if you feel it has helped you. Use the thumb up on the top right of the post.

pabenny

Post by pabenny » Mon May 28, 2018 1:46 pm

Modern "prepayment meters" do rather more than in the days when you inserted coins to cover consumption.

The most likely cause of the debt is that standing charges still accrue even when there is no consumption. Unless the previous occupier told SSE they were leaving, the standing charges would still be applied and would be collected through the meter.

1 Call them. The worst thing to do with almost any sort of payment demand or collection activity is to ignore it.
2 Explain the position and ask them to suspend collection activity while the liability is investigated
3 Provide up to date meter readings (and readings for the date the supply was transferred if you have them)
4 Ask for a statement showing the make up of the amount they're seeking to collect.

macliam

Post by macliam » Mon May 28, 2018 2:00 pm

Play hardball - SSE are useless. Three years ago they arranged for my gas meter to be replaced, then totally ignored my readings from the new meter, rejected supplied readings as they were (obviously) much lower than the previous reading on record and continued to estimate based on the previous readings from a faulty meter. :wtf:

It took several calls and emails to get the issue resolved - most of which ended with the company contact "promising" to sort out the problem...... and then doing nothing. When the problem was eventually resolved (being due to their failure to actually note the new meter-ID in their records) I did not even get an apology. :twisted:

Needless to say, they are not my current supplier....... :roll:
Just because I'm paranoid, it doesn't mean they're not out to get me

pabenny

Post by pabenny » Mon May 28, 2018 2:16 pm

[quote="William Joseph1".. a complaint to the Energy Ombudsman might be in order..[/quote]
macliam wrote:Play hardball..
May be necessary. Or maybe not.

But start by talking to them (which, from the description in the OP, you haven't yet done). Apologies if I've mis-interpreted.

Derbiean

Post by Derbiean » Mon May 28, 2018 3:51 pm

I agree with most of whats been put here, only I would say from my own experience only communicate via letter/email so you have evidence of what they've said to you, these companies have a habit of pretending they've done nothing wrong, phone calls are a waste of time.

expressman33

Post by expressman33 » Mon May 28, 2018 4:34 pm

Derbiean wrote:I agree with most of whats been put here, only I would say from my own experience only communicate via letter/email so you have evidence of what they've said to you, these companies have a habit of pretending they've done nothing wrong, phone calls are a waste of time.
If you communicate by "Live Chat" get a transcript of the conversation
Thanked by: planteria, stockportcounty

blythburgh

Post by blythburgh » Mon May 28, 2018 5:24 pm

A good few years ago, I think early part of this century a friend moved into a Council flat and sent numerous letters to the electric company saying I live here, Mrs Bloggs who used to live here, died. I know nothing about her apart from her name and that she is dead.

He even got a letter from the Council stating the fact that the person they were chasing for money was a tenant of their's who had died and so they moved a new tenant in.

I seem to remember they threatened to send in a bailiff but in the end they accepted that there was nobody around to pay the debt. Which was not a very large one anyone. The lady had been paying quarterly when she got the bill.

Couldness knows how much it cost to chase a relatively small amount.
Thanked by: planteria, stockportcounty
Keep smiling because the light at the end of someone's tunnel may be you, Ron Cheneler

Chadwick

Post by Chadwick » Tue May 29, 2018 7:52 am

blythburgh wrote:early part of this century
There's a phrase to make you feel old! :(