Undemocratic MP's

Topical debate, moral dilemmas and quirky questions. Join fellow shareholders in civilised discussions of issues of interest
Chadwick

Re: Undemocratic MP's

Post by Chadwick » Sun Jun 17, 2018 11:39 am

There is another viewpoint doing the rounds out there in Internetland. Not saying it is correct, but perhaps worthy of consideration before jumping to the obvious conclusion.

Apparently this MP has a habit of blocking bills that are put forward - as this one was - as private members bills. Typically these get passed quickly without much scrutiny. In this case, by maybe 20 MPs. Chopes' objection will force this bill to now be debated by a full(er) house, where any loopholes and flaws in the bill are more likely to be spotted. This could also give higher awareness to it and bring it onto the statute books quicker.

Now, I haven't checked that out, but I've seen it brought up elsewhere. It is also quite possible that the obvious conclusion is indeed correct, and Chope merely wanted to free up time for his own bill to be discussed, and couldn't give a damn about a law that doesn't directly affect him.
Thanked by: pakefield, blythburgh

brittaniabuckle

Post by brittaniabuckle » Sun Jun 17, 2018 6:11 pm

Apparently this MP has a bait of blocking bills by filibustering as well: by talking rubbish at such length that the next MP cannot get a word in.

Apparently MPs and their Speakers have not fixed the problem. The speaker does not ask MPs to stop talking rubbish and leave time for the next one. Which is odd because MPs are meant to be good at this sort of thing, and if you got any individial MP and asked about this kind of stuff I'm sure they'd agree that it needs fixing.

So why don't they? This MP has been in the job a long time and makes a special hobby of parliamentary procedures and blocking systems. If he doesn't want to fix the system, I suppose I have to blame his voters for letting him get back in at each election.

Chadwick

Post by Chadwick » Sun Jun 17, 2018 6:23 pm

Here you are, in his own words.
http://www.bournemouthecho.co.uk/news/1 ... pegoated_/
Bournemouth Echo wrote:[Chope] said he objected to the procedure on Friday because he does not agree with legislation being brought in with no debate at Second Reading.

"The government has been hijacking time that is rightfully that of backbenchers. This is about who controls the House of Commons on Fridays and that's where I am coming from. I actually support the Bills that were before the house. Four of the 26 Bills that fell at the same time were my own.

"But this is something I have fought for in most of my time as an MP and it goes to the very heart of the power balance between the government and Parliament. The government is abusing parliamentary time for its own ends and in a democracy this is not acceptable. The government cannot just bring in what it wants on the nod. We don't quite live in the Putin era yet."
It sounds like he didn't realise the impact of objecting to such an unarguable issue, possibly didn't even know what the bill was about. Just opposed it on principle without considering whether that was a good thing to do. That may seem a lesser crime that the 'pervert' label, but I think it's not an appropriate approach for an MP to just act on principle before understanding the matter.

Boro Boy

Post by Boro Boy » Sun Jun 17, 2018 6:27 pm

brittaniabuckle wrote:Apparently this MP has a bait of blocking bills by filibustering as well: by talking rubbish at such length that the next MP cannot get a word in.

Apparently MPs and their Speakers have not fixed the problem. The speaker does not ask MPs to stop talking rubbish and leave time for the next one. Which is odd because MPs are meant to be good at this sort of thing, and if you got any individial MP and asked about this kind of stuff I'm sure they'd agree that it needs fixing.

So why don't they? This MP has been in the job a long time and makes a special hobby of parliamentary procedures and blocking systems. If he doesn't want to fix the system, I suppose I have to blame his voters for letting him get back in at each election.

But the constituents would not neccessarily be voting for him and more for the manifesto promises and the Party he represents! If that is the case it would be the Conservative Party standing committee who decided to put him forward again, on who's shoulders the blame lies...

pakefield

Post by pakefield » Sun Jun 17, 2018 6:32 pm

More trouble for May as she could not say why he got his knightbood apart from the fact he was a long serving MP. And of course once you have done X number of years you get the chance to be SIr or Dame. So not really her fault he is Sir Christopher but it is another black mark against her in the eyes of some.

Boro Boy

Post by Boro Boy » Sun Jun 17, 2018 6:41 pm

pakefield wrote:More trouble for May as she could not say why he got his knightbood apart from the fact he was a long serving MP. And of course once you have done X number of years you get the chance to be SIr or Dame. So not really her fault he is Sir Christopher but it is another black mark against her in the eyes of some.

Agreed, problem is that this will all be forgotten about by this time next week. It does leave a nasty taste... :sick:
Thanked by: blythburgh

blythburgh

Post by blythburgh » Mon Jun 18, 2018 7:07 am

Boro Boy wrote:
pakefield wrote:More trouble for May as she could not say why he got his knightbood apart from the fact he was a long serving MP. And of course once you have done X number of years you get the chance to be SIr or Dame. So not really her fault he is Sir Christopher but it is another black mark against her in the eyes of some.

Agreed, problem is that this will all be forgotten about by this time next week. It does leave a nasty taste... :sick:
I must admit to feeling sorry for May on this one as she was merely following precedure in offering him a knighthood
Keep smiling because the light at the end of someone's tunnel may be you, Ron Cheneler

macliam

Post by macliam » Mon Jun 18, 2018 9:00 am

Far be it from me to support a Tory MP, however, this seems to be a one-man crusade to prevent abuse of the parliamentary system by a government that is abusing Private Members bills to bring in legislation "on the nod" in order to free up parliamentary time for its own purposes. It seems he has said he supports the principle of the change to the law proposed and that he has called on the government to table it properly - not via a vehicle that allows it to come onto the statute books without discussion.

The argument appears to be that a bill like this should be proposed and debated properly during normal parliamentary time, so that relevant amendments can be made and any new law scheduled. Whatever the context, where a bill proposes to change the law of the land to create a new criminal offence, punishable by prison time, one would expect this to be subject to the scrutiny of our selected representatives and not slipped in via the back door.

As for the system of honours just for doing your job, it is a ridiculous concept and should be abolished but it is all part of the cat and mouse game of UK politics - and no more ridiculous than inheriting a title because your great-great-great-great grandfather was the fruit of an extra-marital affair.
Just because I'm paranoid, it doesn't mean they're not out to get me