Is the Euro experiment about to collapse...?

Money, investing, mutuals etc
blythburgh
Posts: 14684
Joined: Tue Jun 29, 2010 7:14 pm
Location: The Far East
Has thanked: 30735 times
Been thanked: 5960 times
Contact:

Re: Is the Euro experiment about to collapse...?

Post by blythburgh » Fri Jun 29, 2018 8:00 am

macliam wrote:
Boro Boy wrote:I wasn't expecting this: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-44625625
and? It's an internal French matter....
That the right wing old fogies here want so maybe you should be agreeing with it Boro Boy as you seem to like a lot of what they stand for
Keep smiling because the light at the end of someone's tunnel may be you, Ron Cheneler

RonFlorabud
Posts: 2092
Joined: Tue Jan 11, 2011 8:58 am
Sharing: 2stars.png
Location: Rural Warwickshire
Has thanked: 2007 times
Been thanked: 965 times
Contact:

Re: Is the Euro experiment about to collapse...?

Post by RonFlorabud » Fri Jun 29, 2018 5:47 pm

You would not believe the entertainment I get from the members of imutual and these forums.
Thanks all - so many of you crack me up.
Forget the cashback site, just turn it into a whinging pomme forum :thumbup:

macliam
Posts: 8173
Joined: Thu Jul 18, 2013 12:26 pm
Location: By the Deben, Suffolk
Has thanked: 1413 times
Been thanked: 7138 times
Contact:

Re: Is the Euro experiment about to collapse...?

Post by macliam » Fri Jun 29, 2018 5:55 pm

RonFlorabud wrote:You would not believe the entertainment I get from the members of imutual and these forums.
Thanks all - so many of you crack me up.
Forget the cashback site, just turn it into a whinging pomme forum :thumbup:
No. no - I might be a truculent taig, but I could never be called a whingeing pom :mrgreen:

...and since any opportunity is enough:
How can you tell when a British Airways plane has landed at Sydney Airport?

..... because the whining continues after the engines have been switched off!
Thanked by: RonFlorabud, blythburgh
Just because I'm paranoid, it doesn't mean they're not out to get me

RonFlorabud
Posts: 2092
Joined: Tue Jan 11, 2011 8:58 am
Sharing: 2stars.png
Location: Rural Warwickshire
Has thanked: 2007 times
Been thanked: 965 times
Contact:

Re: Is the Euro experiment about to collapse...?

Post by RonFlorabud » Fri Jun 29, 2018 6:05 pm

Both of us have clearly experienced BA cabin crew :-)
Thanked by: blythburgh

Boro Boy
Posts: 4024
Joined: Mon Sep 15, 2014 6:05 pm
Location: London
Has thanked: 1031 times
Been thanked: 2158 times
Contact:

Re: Is the Euro experiment about to collapse...?

Post by Boro Boy » Sat Jun 30, 2018 12:15 am

blythburgh wrote:
macliam wrote:
Boro Boy wrote:I wasn't expecting this: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-44625625
and? It's an internal French matter....
That the right wing old fogies here want so maybe you should be agreeing with it Boro Boy as you seem to like a lot of what they stand for

You seem to presume far too much...!

blythburgh
Posts: 14684
Joined: Tue Jun 29, 2010 7:14 pm
Location: The Far East
Has thanked: 30735 times
Been thanked: 5960 times
Contact:

Re: Is the Euro experiment about to collapse...?

Post by blythburgh » Sat Jun 30, 2018 8:53 am

Boro Boy wrote:
You seem to presume far too much...!
I am basing it on many of your posts. Not saying you are an old fogie as not idea what age you are. Not a teenager but what age I neither know nor care
Keep smiling because the light at the end of someone's tunnel may be you, Ron Cheneler

blythburgh
Posts: 14684
Joined: Tue Jun 29, 2010 7:14 pm
Location: The Far East
Has thanked: 30735 times
Been thanked: 5960 times
Contact:

Re: Is the Euro experiment about to collapse...?

Post by blythburgh » Sat Jun 30, 2018 8:55 am

RonFlorabud wrote:You would not believe the entertainment I get from the members of imutual and these forums.
Thanks all - so many of you crack me up.
Forget the cashback site, just turn it into a whinging pomme forum :thumbup:
My Aussie (half brother) called us Poms. I retorted that really it should be the Aussies who should be called Poms as it stands for "Prisoners of his/her Majesty". He laughed but never called us Poms again
Keep smiling because the light at the end of someone's tunnel may be you, Ron Cheneler

Boro Boy
Posts: 4024
Joined: Mon Sep 15, 2014 6:05 pm
Location: London
Has thanked: 1031 times
Been thanked: 2158 times
Contact:

Re: Is the Euro experiment about to collapse...?

Post by Boro Boy » Sat Jun 30, 2018 9:29 pm

blythburgh wrote:
Boro Boy wrote:
You seem to presume far too much...!
I am basing it on many of your posts. Not saying you are an old fogie as not idea what age you are. Not a teenager but what age I neither know nor care

...and you know nothing of my politics - you don't have to be right wing to agree with Brexit...

Chadwick
Posts: 1654
Joined: Mon Jul 05, 2010 4:21 pm
Has thanked: 802 times
Been thanked: 2098 times
Contact:

Re: Is the Euro experiment about to collapse...?

Post by Chadwick » Mon Jul 02, 2018 10:02 am

Boro Boy wrote:you don't have to be right wing to agree with Brexit...
... but it helps!

(Best read in Comic Sans)
Thanked by: blythburgh

Chadwick
Posts: 1654
Joined: Mon Jul 05, 2010 4:21 pm
Has thanked: 802 times
Been thanked: 2098 times
Contact:

Re: Is the Euro experiment about to collapse...?

Post by Chadwick » Mon Jul 02, 2018 10:15 am

blythburgh wrote:My Aussie (half brother) called us Poms. I retorted that really it should be the Aussies who should be called Poms as it stands for "Prisoners of his/her Majesty". He laughed but never called us Poms again
Urban myth, I'm afraid.

Most likely root of the term "pommy" or "pom" is that it is linked to "pomegranate", as rhyming slang for "immigrant". Possibly also a link to our use of the fruit to prevent scurvy on the long journey. In many ways it is similar to the Americans calling us "limeys".

There's no evidence to support the "prisoners" root, or sometimes "Product of Mother England". The term is believed to have originated in the late 19th century, much later than the convict shipments.
Thanked by: blythburgh

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests