water companies make me so angry

Discussion about miscellaneous topics not covered by other forums
blythburgh

water companies make me so angry

Post by blythburgh » Tue Jul 03, 2018 11:08 am

In the news today and I did a pointless survey (but got paid for it) for Essex and Suffolk Water. I was told their plan for the future would mean lower bills and the company would be more affective under the new plans.

Did I agree with the plan and why did I answer yes or no. I said yes but what was the plan? No told.

But they can tell Ofwat and the media what a large percentage of customers support the plan. Lies, damned lies and the misuse of market research,

And to add insult to injury before I answered any questions I had to read this satement about Essex and Suffolk Water "currently the average customer's bill is the highest compared to all bills in England and Wales."

Oh wonderful not only do we have to pay one company a very large standing charge for water but we have to pay a 2nd very large standing charge to Anglian Water who deal with the sewage side of things.
Keep smiling because the light at the end of someone's tunnel may be you, Ron Cheneler

pabenny

Re: water companies make me so angry

Post by pabenny » Tue Jul 03, 2018 12:00 pm

You mean *your* water company makes you angry. Please don't generalise from a small one-off experience.
Thanked by: blythburgh

pakefield

Post by pakefield » Tue Jul 03, 2018 8:55 pm

I would say all water companies as they pay big dividends but do not do enough to stop leakages. How many times have main roads been closed due to water mains bursting?

They have a captive audience and should be renationalised.

William Joseph1

Post by William Joseph1 » Tue Jul 03, 2018 9:42 pm

pakefield wrote:I would say all water companies as they pay big dividends but do not do enough to stop leakages. How many times have main roads been closed due to water mains bursting?

There are many things that should be re-nationilised including the railways and the energy companies in my opinion. But, I doubt it will happen in my lifetime.
It is polite to thank a post. If you like it or if you feel it has helped you. Use the thumb up on the top right of the post.

pabenny

Post by pabenny » Tue Jul 03, 2018 10:07 pm

pakefield wrote:How many times have main roads been closed due to water mains bursting?
I don't know. What is the number of closures? Actually, not just the number but the frequency - the number per km of water main. And is it increasing or decreasing?
pakefield wrote:water companies.. don't do enough to prevent leaks
Tell me a bit about their performance on tackling leaks. Any data to support the statement that they don't do enough?
Thanked by: RonFlorabud, blythburgh

Constantine

Post by Constantine » Wed Jul 04, 2018 12:47 am

pabenny wrote:You mean *your* water company makes you angry. Please don't generalise from a small one-off experience.
I'd suggest that almost everything makes the OP angry. :}
Thanked by: RonFlorabud, blythburgh

RonFlorabud
Sharing: 1star.png

Post by RonFlorabud » Wed Jul 04, 2018 6:12 am

William Joseph1 wrote:
pakefield wrote:I would say all water companies as they pay big dividends but do not do enough to stop leakages. How many times have main roads been closed due to water mains bursting?

There are many things that should be re-nationilised including the railways and the energy companies in my opinion. But, I doubt it will happen in my lifetime.
Give the government more things to f*** up? I appreciate in many cases, privatisation hasn't worked.

blythburgh

Post by blythburgh » Wed Jul 04, 2018 8:35 am

'im indoors is in favour of privatisation of lots of things but I am not unless it is done totally different to the way it was in the past. The water company, railway et al would have to fight for the money controlled by the treasury and that could end up with them getting crumbs and not allowed to borrow money from outside. And it could lead to layers of management as in the past.

I would only be in favour if they could be publicly owned companies with the freedom to borrow on the open market. But the water companies are a monopoly and Ofwat should be cracking down on them far more.

And I thought everyone knew that far too many of the pipes go back to the Victorian times and are failing bringing unplanned chaos as a result. I have experienced this more than once in my own town as well as hearing of burst mains on side roads.
Keep smiling because the light at the end of someone's tunnel may be you, Ron Cheneler

pabenny

Post by pabenny » Wed Jul 04, 2018 8:53 am

Privatisation of the railways 'hasn't worked'. Again, let's have a few facts.

Since privatisation, passenger numbers on railways in Britain have more than doubled - much faster than France (up about 50%), Germany (up about 25%), Italy (also up around 25%).

I couldn't quickly find up to date information on state subsidies that dealt with both train operators and infrastructure (track etc). It does, however, seem that railways in Britain receive lower subsidies than other countries.

We forget that British Rail was loss-making. We forget the decades of under-investment. We forget all of the other bad things of the railways in the 1970s and 1980s.

blythburgh

Post by blythburgh » Wed Jul 04, 2018 10:53 am

pabenny wrote:Privatisation of the railways 'hasn't worked'. Again, let's have a few facts.

Since privatisation, passenger numbers on railways in Britain have more than doubled - much faster than France (up about 50%), Germany (up about 25%), Italy (also up around 25%).

I couldn't quickly find up to date information on state subsidies that dealt with both train operators and infrastructure (track etc). It does, however, seem that railways in Britain receive lower subsidies than other countries.

We forget that British Rail was loss-making. We forget the decades of under-investment. We forget all of the other bad things of the railways in the 1970s and 1980s.
Under investment because they were not run as proper companies that could borrow on the open market without adding to the national debt.

I live in a region where the railway is run by a Dutch company which is owned by the Dutch Govt. And for the first time I can remember, and probably ever, we will be getting brand new carriages not other areas hand me downs.

If the Dutch can do it then surely we can run nationalised companies in a sensible way. Especially when the company in question is a monopoly. Water or train I have one company to choose from, like it or lump it :lol: