water companies make me so angry

Discussion about miscellaneous topics not covered by other forums
blythburgh
Posts: 14684
Joined: Tue Jun 29, 2010 7:14 pm
Location: The Far East
Has thanked: 30735 times
Been thanked: 5960 times
Contact:

water companies make me so angry

Post by blythburgh » Tue Jul 03, 2018 11:08 am

In the news today and I did a pointless survey (but got paid for it) for Essex and Suffolk Water. I was told their plan for the future would mean lower bills and the company would be more affective under the new plans.

Did I agree with the plan and why did I answer yes or no. I said yes but what was the plan? No told.

But they can tell Ofwat and the media what a large percentage of customers support the plan. Lies, damned lies and the misuse of market research,

And to add insult to injury before I answered any questions I had to read this satement about Essex and Suffolk Water "currently the average customer's bill is the highest compared to all bills in England and Wales."

Oh wonderful not only do we have to pay one company a very large standing charge for water but we have to pay a 2nd very large standing charge to Anglian Water who deal with the sewage side of things.
Keep smiling because the light at the end of someone's tunnel may be you, Ron Cheneler

pabenny
Posts: 1421
Joined: Tue Jun 29, 2010 5:21 pm
Has thanked: 473 times
Been thanked: 1516 times
Contact:

Re: water companies make me so angry

Post by pabenny » Tue Jul 03, 2018 12:00 pm

You mean *your* water company makes you angry. Please don't generalise from a small one-off experience.
Thanked by: blythburgh

pakefield
Posts: 358
Joined: Sat Jan 03, 2015 6:35 pm
Has thanked: 796 times
Been thanked: 182 times
Contact:

Re: water companies make me so angry

Post by pakefield » Tue Jul 03, 2018 8:55 pm

I would say all water companies as they pay big dividends but do not do enough to stop leakages. How many times have main roads been closed due to water mains bursting?

They have a captive audience and should be renationalised.

William Joseph1
Posts: 11500
Joined: Tue Jun 29, 2010 8:14 pm
Location: The Isle of Dreams
Has thanked: 2660 times
Been thanked: 6832 times
Contact:

Re: water companies make me so angry

Post by William Joseph1 » Tue Jul 03, 2018 9:42 pm

pakefield wrote:I would say all water companies as they pay big dividends but do not do enough to stop leakages. How many times have main roads been closed due to water mains bursting?

They have a captive audience and should be renationalised.
There are many things that should be re-nationilised including the railways and the energy companies in my opinion. But, I doubt it will happen in my lifetime.
Thanked by: blythburgh
It is polite to thank a post. If you like it or if you feel it has helped you. Use the thumb up on the top right of the post.

pabenny
Posts: 1421
Joined: Tue Jun 29, 2010 5:21 pm
Has thanked: 473 times
Been thanked: 1516 times
Contact:

Re: water companies make me so angry

Post by pabenny » Tue Jul 03, 2018 10:07 pm

pakefield wrote:How many times have main roads been closed due to water mains bursting?
I don't know. What is the number of closures? Actually, not just the number but the frequency - the number per km of water main. And is it increasing or decreasing?
pakefield wrote:water companies.. don't do enough to prevent leaks
Tell me a bit about their performance on tackling leaks. Any data to support the statement that they don't do enough?
Thanked by: RonFlorabud, blythburgh

Constantine
Posts: 691
Joined: Fri Jul 02, 2010 1:04 pm
Has thanked: 45 times
Been thanked: 563 times
Contact:

Re: water companies make me so angry

Post by Constantine » Wed Jul 04, 2018 12:47 am

pabenny wrote:You mean *your* water company makes you angry. Please don't generalise from a small one-off experience.
I'd suggest that almost everything makes the OP angry. :}
Thanked by: RonFlorabud, blythburgh

RonFlorabud
Posts: 2092
Joined: Tue Jan 11, 2011 8:58 am
Sharing: 1star.png
Location: Rural Warwickshire
Has thanked: 2007 times
Been thanked: 965 times
Contact:

Re: water companies make me so angry

Post by RonFlorabud » Wed Jul 04, 2018 6:12 am

William Joseph1 wrote:
pakefield wrote:I would say all water companies as they pay big dividends but do not do enough to stop leakages. How many times have main roads been closed due to water mains bursting?

They have a captive audience and should be renationalised.
There are many things that should be re-nationilised including the railways and the energy companies in my opinion. But, I doubt it will happen in my lifetime.
Give the government more things to f*** up? I appreciate in many cases, privatisation hasn't worked.
Thanked by: blythburgh

blythburgh
Posts: 14684
Joined: Tue Jun 29, 2010 7:14 pm
Location: The Far East
Has thanked: 30735 times
Been thanked: 5960 times
Contact:

Re: water companies make me so angry

Post by blythburgh » Wed Jul 04, 2018 8:35 am

'im indoors is in favour of privatisation of lots of things but I am not unless it is done totally different to the way it was in the past. The water company, railway et al would have to fight for the money controlled by the treasury and that could end up with them getting crumbs and not allowed to borrow money from outside. And it could lead to layers of management as in the past.

I would only be in favour if they could be publicly owned companies with the freedom to borrow on the open market. But the water companies are a monopoly and Ofwat should be cracking down on them far more.

And I thought everyone knew that far too many of the pipes go back to the Victorian times and are failing bringing unplanned chaos as a result. I have experienced this more than once in my own town as well as hearing of burst mains on side roads.
Keep smiling because the light at the end of someone's tunnel may be you, Ron Cheneler

pabenny
Posts: 1421
Joined: Tue Jun 29, 2010 5:21 pm
Has thanked: 473 times
Been thanked: 1516 times
Contact:

Re: water companies make me so angry

Post by pabenny » Wed Jul 04, 2018 8:53 am

Privatisation of the railways 'hasn't worked'. Again, let's have a few facts.

Since privatisation, passenger numbers on railways in Britain have more than doubled - much faster than France (up about 50%), Germany (up about 25%), Italy (also up around 25%).

I couldn't quickly find up to date information on state subsidies that dealt with both train operators and infrastructure (track etc). It does, however, seem that railways in Britain receive lower subsidies than other countries.

We forget that British Rail was loss-making. We forget the decades of under-investment. We forget all of the other bad things of the railways in the 1970s and 1980s.
Thanked by: blythburgh

blythburgh
Posts: 14684
Joined: Tue Jun 29, 2010 7:14 pm
Location: The Far East
Has thanked: 30735 times
Been thanked: 5960 times
Contact:

Re: water companies make me so angry

Post by blythburgh » Wed Jul 04, 2018 10:53 am

pabenny wrote:Privatisation of the railways 'hasn't worked'. Again, let's have a few facts.

Since privatisation, passenger numbers on railways in Britain have more than doubled - much faster than France (up about 50%), Germany (up about 25%), Italy (also up around 25%).

I couldn't quickly find up to date information on state subsidies that dealt with both train operators and infrastructure (track etc). It does, however, seem that railways in Britain receive lower subsidies than other countries.

We forget that British Rail was loss-making. We forget the decades of under-investment. We forget all of the other bad things of the railways in the 1970s and 1980s.
Under investment because they were not run as proper companies that could borrow on the open market without adding to the national debt.

I live in a region where the railway is run by a Dutch company which is owned by the Dutch Govt. And for the first time I can remember, and probably ever, we will be getting brand new carriages not other areas hand me downs.

If the Dutch can do it then surely we can run nationalised companies in a sensible way. Especially when the company in question is a monopoly. Water or train I have one company to choose from, like it or lump it :lol:
Keep smiling because the light at the end of someone's tunnel may be you, Ron Cheneler

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest