Memory Mayhem

Discussion about miscellaneous topics not covered by other forums
Chadwick

Memory Mayhem

Post by Chadwick » Sun Jul 08, 2018 6:38 pm

I've recently come across Memory Mayhem on Facebook. They sell hard drives, memory cards etc at very cheap prices. They say it is end of line stocks and the like.

Their Facebook page was created at the end of June - it is less than two weeks old at the time of posting. Their listed website doesn't appear to exist, but they have a shop at an ecwid.com address.
They say they have traded on Ebay and Amazon, but I cannot find a way to look them up on either site.

My question is... does anyone know if they are legit?
Is there a way to find them on Ebay/Amazon and check feedback?

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Memory-Mayhem-549302308798934/
Shop: https://memorymayhem.ecwid.com
Thanked by: blythburgh

RonFlorabud
Sharing: 1star.png

Re: Memory Mayhem

Post by RonFlorabud » Sun Jul 08, 2018 7:03 pm

The memorymayhem.com address they publish for web and email is not registered - not a good start.
Minimum delivery time of 15 days scares me too. Also no contact details. Can't find them on Amazon.
Keep an eye on them for a while.
Thanked by: Chadwick, blythburgh, dustie

macliam

Post by macliam » Sun Jul 08, 2018 7:13 pm

I have no knowledge of this company, but...... it depends on your attitude to risk.

If you believe a company on a thoroughly dependable service like Facebook is trustworthy....... :?

But if you can't find any reference to it on a google search, information they provide turns out to be incorrect and you can't see them on ebay or Amazon, then i'd start to smell a very large rat.

At the end of the day - what will you do if the goods aren't delivered? What will you do if they are faulty? Is it worth risking money on something that is a black cat in a coal cellar.

First off, I'd look for someone selling very long bargepoles if I were you.......
Just because I'm paranoid, it doesn't mean they're not out to get me

Chadwick

Post by Chadwick » Mon Jul 09, 2018 9:20 am

macliam wrote:First off, I'd look for someone selling very long bargepoles if I were you.......
I agree with you, but to be pedantic, what you mean is that I won't need a bargepole, as I shouldn't even get that close to them.

(I find it frustrating that it's really hard to refer to the bargepole line without distorting what it means or making a clumsy sentence in an attempt to retain the meaning while still getting a pithy and humorous quip. Frankly I'm thinking it best to steer well clear of even trying to do it. I wish there were a phrase to sum that up.)
Thanked by: blythburgh

macliam

Post by macliam » Mon Jul 09, 2018 11:57 am

Chadwick wrote:
macliam wrote:First off, I'd look for someone selling very long bargepoles if I were you.......
I agree with you, but to be pedantic, what you mean is that I won't need a bargepole, as I shouldn't even get that close to them.

(I find it frustrating that it's really hard to refer to the bargepole line without distorting what it means or making a clumsy sentence in an attempt to retain the meaning while still getting a pithy and humorous quip. Frankly I'm thinking it best to steer well clear of even trying to do it. I wish there were a phrase to sum that up.)
Ah, but to be pedantic, if you don't have a bargepole, you don't have the choice.....

Maybe you're right about the phrase, from now on I won't touch it with a very long stick (given that I have one on my person).
Thanked by: Chadwick, RonFlorabud
Just because I'm paranoid, it doesn't mean they're not out to get me

Constantine

Post by Constantine » Mon Jul 09, 2018 8:32 pm

Chadwick wrote:I've recently come across Memory Mayhem on Facebook. They sell hard drives, memory cards etc at very cheap prices. They say it is end of line stocks and the like.

Nowhere do they seem to disclose who they are.

Normally there are some T&Cs somewhere that state we are ABC Ltd or whatever, so you have some idea of who you are dealing with.

I;d deploy my bargepole as well. :)

pabenny

Post by pabenny » Tue Jul 10, 2018 7:40 am

Agree with all comments about caution. Although you do have some protection when paying by card, it just looks too dodgy.

Chadwick

Post by Chadwick » Tue Jul 10, 2018 9:03 am

Thanks everyone. That was my gut instinct.

If it looks too good to be true, it probably is.
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck and quacks like a duck, it probably is a duck.
And something about bargepoles.
Thanked by: RonFlorabud