40 Stores to Close... (part 2)

Money, investing, mutuals etc
Dream on
Posts: 588
Joined: Fri Nov 04, 2011 7:16 pm
Has thanked: 2785 times
Been thanked: 402 times
Contact:

Re: 40 Stores to Close... (part 2)

Post by Dream on » Sun Aug 12, 2018 10:43 am

Boro Boy wrote:
planteria wrote:SD are going to take the business on the best terms they can, and build/use it to their advantage from that point. on the face of it, if they keep the stores open and keep those thousands in employment then it is much better news than their was coming out of HoF: no one can expect Mike Ashley to decide to pay suppliers money that he doesn't need to pay.
But plans have already been announced in the North East to close the HoF Binns group of stores... and talk is the Oxford Street London Flagship Store will be sold off separately... :think:
You are out of date. Those plans were announced before the company went into liquidation and were put on hold when Sports Direct bought it. They have yet to set out their plans but Mike Ashley has gone on record to say he will do his best to keep all stores open. Whether you believe or trust him is another matter.
Thanked by: Boro Boy, blythburgh

Boro Boy
Posts: 3359
Joined: Mon Sep 15, 2014 5:05 pm
Location: London
Has thanked: 906 times
Been thanked: 1838 times
Contact:

Re: 40 Stores to Close... (part 2)

Post by Boro Boy » Sun Aug 12, 2018 10:45 am

Dream on wrote:
Boro Boy wrote:
planteria wrote:SD are going to take the business on the best terms they can, and build/use it to their advantage from that point. on the face of it, if they keep the stores open and keep those thousands in employment then it is much better news than their was coming out of HoF: no one can expect Mike Ashley to decide to pay suppliers money that he doesn't need to pay.
But plans have already been announced in the North East to close the HoF Binns group of stores... and talk is the Oxford Street London Flagship Store will be sold off separately... :think:
You are out of date. Those plans were announced before the company went into liquidation and were put on hold when Sports Direct bought it. They have yet to set out their plans but Mike Ashley has gone on record to say he will do his best to keep all stores open. Whether you believe or trust him is another matter.

Cheers and noted; I'm sure a lot of workers in the North East may be pleased to know that!!! :think:
Thanked by: blythburgh

Dream on
Posts: 588
Joined: Fri Nov 04, 2011 7:16 pm
Has thanked: 2785 times
Been thanked: 402 times
Contact:

Re: 40 Stores to Close... (part 2)

Post by Dream on » Sun Aug 12, 2018 10:56 am

Boro Boy wrote:
Dream on wrote:
Boro Boy wrote:But plans have already been announced in the North East to close the HoF Binns group of stores... and talk is the Oxford Street London Flagship Store will be sold off separately... :think:
You are out of date. Those plans were announced before the company went into liquidation and were put on hold when Sports Direct bought it. They have yet to set out their plans but Mike Ashley has gone on record to say he will do his best to keep all stores open. Whether you believe or trust him is another matter.
Cheers and noted; I'm sure a lot of workers in the North East may be pleased to know that!!! :think:
Time will tell as to whether their pleasure is short or long term. At the moment their joy is on hold I suspect.
Thanked by: blythburgh

planteria
Posts: 5074
Joined: Tue Nov 23, 2010 4:52 pm
Location: Going down the Wednesbury Road
Has thanked: 397 times
Been thanked: 1475 times
Contact:

Re: 40 Stores to Close... (part 2)

Post by planteria » Sun Aug 12, 2018 12:13 pm

yes.. but however SD handle things, it's going to be better in terms of employee retention than it was going to be without their takeover.
Thanked by: kevinchess1, blythburgh

Boro Boy
Posts: 3359
Joined: Mon Sep 15, 2014 5:05 pm
Location: London
Has thanked: 906 times
Been thanked: 1838 times
Contact:

Re: 40 Stores to Close... (part 2)

Post by Boro Boy » Sun Aug 12, 2018 10:48 pm

planteria wrote:yes.. but however SD handle things, it's going to be better in terms of employee retention than it was going to be without their takeover.
...Oh I see; a choice between purgatory or hell...!?! :crazy:
Thanked by: blythburgh

Chadwick
Posts: 1457
Joined: Mon Jul 05, 2010 3:21 pm
Has thanked: 701 times
Been thanked: 1867 times
Contact:

Re: 40 Stores to Close... (part 2)

Post by Chadwick » Mon Aug 13, 2018 8:28 am

Boro Boy wrote:
planteria wrote:yes.. but however SD handle things, it's going to be better in terms of employee retention than it was going to be without their takeover.
...Oh I see; a choice between purgatory or hell...!?! :crazy:
#Pakefield's Law
Thanked by: kevinchess1, blythburgh

blythburgh
Posts: 13720
Joined: Tue Jun 29, 2010 6:14 pm
Location: The Far East
Has thanked: 28418 times
Been thanked: 5554 times
Contact:

Re: 40 Stores to Close... (part 2)

Post by blythburgh » Mon Aug 13, 2018 9:37 am

Boro Boy wrote:
planteria wrote:yes.. but however SD handle things, it's going to be better in terms of employee retention than it was going to be without their takeover.
...Oh I see; a choice between purgatory or hell...!?! :crazy:
The brother in law of 'im indoors worked at Eastern Coachworks (bus makers) for 28 years. For a number of years the workers were unsure how long the plant would continue. I can assure you that uncertainty was very stressful on the employees and their families.

Hopefully more of the HOF shops will be retained than under the old owners plans. But suppliers will cut jobs or even go bankrupt and so it is just moving the misery to others.

Still cannot help but feel it was a case of "I want to buy HOF but refuse to do so until it goes into administration and I can get it on the cheap".

The unacceptable face of capitalism IMHO. But at least the previous owners of HOF have made sure the pension scheme was handled in a far better way than it was at BHS and other places.

I wonder how many companies whose pension schemes are in the red were amongst those who stopped making contributions when things were going well for the country.
Keep smiling because the light at the end of someone's tunnel may be you, Ron Cheneler

planteria
Posts: 5074
Joined: Tue Nov 23, 2010 4:52 pm
Location: Going down the Wednesbury Road
Has thanked: 397 times
Been thanked: 1475 times
Contact:

Re: 40 Stores to Close... (part 2)

Post by planteria » Mon Aug 13, 2018 4:01 pm

Boro Boy wrote:
planteria wrote:yes.. but however SD handle things, it's going to be better in terms of employee retention than it was going to be without their takeover.
...Oh I see; a choice between purgatory or hell...!?! :crazy:
it's not me who created the rules of Capitalism :mrgreen:. the news was bad. now it is, on the face of it at least, less bad. that's good: in terms of our collective care for people to remain in paid employment.

meanwhile, Amazon now above $1900/s.
Thanked by: blythburgh

Constantine
Posts: 594
Joined: Fri Jul 02, 2010 12:04 pm
Has thanked: 39 times
Been thanked: 465 times
Contact:

Re: 40 Stores to Close... (part 2)

Post by Constantine » Mon Aug 13, 2018 4:18 pm

planteria wrote:...

it's not me who created the rules of Capitalism :mrgreen:. the news was bad. now it is, on the face of it at least, less bad. that's good: in terms of our collective care for people to remain in paid employment.

meanwhile, Amazon now above $1900/s.
Capitalism ain't so bad. It's lifted billions out of poverty. Meanwhile in Venezuela, there's no food or medicine, and the population is fleeing across the border to Columbia. :)

Anyway, isn't the UK employment rate at an all time high?
Thanked by: blythburgh

planteria
Posts: 5074
Joined: Tue Nov 23, 2010 4:52 pm
Location: Going down the Wednesbury Road
Has thanked: 397 times
Been thanked: 1475 times
Contact:

Re: 40 Stores to Close... (part 2)

Post by planteria » Tue Aug 14, 2018 8:51 am

it is. and fleeing to Colombia :wtf:.

Locked

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest