Why is suffogacy sometimes wrong?

Topical debate, moral dilemmas and quirky questions. Join fellow shareholders in civilised discussions of issues of interest
blythburgh
Posts: 14057
Joined: Tue Jun 29, 2010 6:14 pm
Location: The Far East
Has thanked: 29220 times
Been thanked: 5687 times
Contact:

Why is suffogacy sometimes wrong?

Post by blythburgh » Sun Aug 26, 2018 9:05 am

Tom Daley says he and his husband have been subjected to a lot of abuse because they chose surragacy rather than adoption. Surely it is better for them to use a surrogate than to adopt when so many people who cannot afford surragacy and whose only chance of having a child is adoption face a shortage of healthy babies and children to adopt.

A great pity some people feel the need to post critical comments, if you cannot congratulate them stay silent is what I wish they would do in so many social media accounts
Keep smiling because the light at the end of someone's tunnel may be you, Ron Cheneler

kevinchess1
Posts: 22073
Joined: Mon Jun 28, 2010 10:02 pm
Sharing: 3stars.png
Location: Miles away from the sea
Has thanked: 12506 times
Been thanked: 15885 times
Contact:

Re: Why is suffogacy sometimes wrong?

Post by kevinchess1 » Sun Aug 26, 2018 9:07 am

Probably because 'Suffogacy' isn't a real word
Thanked by: pabenny, blythburgh
Politically incorrect since 69

pabenny
Posts: 1142
Joined: Tue Jun 29, 2010 4:21 pm
Has thanked: 390 times
Been thanked: 1207 times
Contact:

Re: Why is suffogacy sometimes wrong?

Post by pabenny » Sun Aug 26, 2018 3:38 pm

Surrogacy is controversial, raising legal, ethical and moral questions to which there are no easy answers. There are all sorts of understandable reasons why people might feel uncomfortable about it - even though some of the comments in this case may be thinly disguised homophobia.

More fundamentally why do Mr and Mr Daley(?) feel the need to share with the world that they are having a child in this way? It's really nobody's business but the three people involved.

And why does anyone else feel it's any of their business to make public comment?

blythburgh
Posts: 14057
Joined: Tue Jun 29, 2010 6:14 pm
Location: The Far East
Has thanked: 29220 times
Been thanked: 5687 times
Contact:

Re: Why is suffogacy sometimes wrong?

Post by blythburgh » Mon Aug 27, 2018 10:03 am

kevinchess1 wrote:Probably because 'Suffogacy' isn't a real word
I used your dictionary ;)
Keep smiling because the light at the end of someone's tunnel may be you, Ron Cheneler

blythburgh
Posts: 14057
Joined: Tue Jun 29, 2010 6:14 pm
Location: The Far East
Has thanked: 29220 times
Been thanked: 5687 times
Contact:

Re: Why is suffogacy sometimes wrong?

Post by blythburgh » Mon Aug 27, 2018 10:11 am

pabenny wrote:Surrogacy is controversial, raising legal, ethical and moral questions to which there are no easy answers. There are all sorts of understandable reasons why people might feel uncomfortable about it - even though some of the comments in this case may be thinly disguised homophobia.

More fundamentally why do Mr and Mr Daley(?) feel the need to share with the world that they are having a child in this way? It's really nobody's business but the three people involved.

And why does anyone else feel it's any of their business to make public comment?
When you are famous (and Tom Daley is) then you cannot hide the fact you have a baby with you hence announcing it. But he seemed upset that Kim Kardashian (think that is the right K one) had her third child via a surragacy due to health problems which means she cannot have her own children any more and got praised but he and his husband went down the surragacy route and got a lot of trolls posting on his social media account.

Why people have to make unpleasant comments is beyond me. Even the rich and famous are just human beings like us. Being told you are fat because you are a size 8 and not a size zero can really mess with the head of anyone. And that sort of thing happens a lot which is why I despair for some people. The fact that you can hide behind a fake name makes it so easy to be nasty.

And that is why I say Pakefield you are ...... (no the word is not fat :lol: )
Keep smiling because the light at the end of someone's tunnel may be you, Ron Cheneler

pabenny
Posts: 1142
Joined: Tue Jun 29, 2010 4:21 pm
Has thanked: 390 times
Been thanked: 1207 times
Contact:

Re: Why is suffogacy sometimes wrong?

Post by pabenny » Mon Aug 27, 2018 11:26 am

blythburgh wrote:When you are famous (and Tom Daley is) then you cannot hide the fact you have a baby with you hence announcing it.
But you can still choose how much you say. Mr Daley has chosen to make public (some of) his private life. I don't know his motivations - I would imagine it is either because he wants to promote gay rights or in order to improve his present or future earnings - or probably some combination of the two.

I have sympathy for those on the receiving end of gratuitous abuse. Nevertheless, the expression 'those who live by the sword, die by the sword' would seem to be relevant.

pakefield
Posts: 334
Joined: Sat Jan 03, 2015 6:35 pm
Has thanked: 778 times
Been thanked: 174 times
Contact:

Re: Why is suffogacy sometimes wrong?

Post by pakefield » Mon Aug 27, 2018 8:24 pm

Yep, he chose to go on which ever social media site he was referring to

blythburgh
Posts: 14057
Joined: Tue Jun 29, 2010 6:14 pm
Location: The Far East
Has thanked: 29220 times
Been thanked: 5687 times
Contact:

Re: Why is suffogacy sometimes wrong?

Post by blythburgh » Tue Aug 28, 2018 8:49 am

pakefield wrote:Yep, he chose to go on which ever social media site he was referring to
I heard on Radio 4 Today programme today that a lot of the female's who would be great on the show will not appear for fear of the abuse they will get on social media about their looks, size, choice of clothes etc.

Sad that they feel that way, sadder that people make them feel that way
Keep smiling because the light at the end of someone's tunnel may be you, Ron Cheneler

expressman33
Posts: 9301
Joined: Tue Jun 29, 2010 9:36 pm
Location: stockport
Has thanked: 2289 times
Been thanked: 9671 times
Contact:

Re: Why is suffogacy sometimes wrong?

Post by expressman33 » Tue Aug 28, 2018 9:14 am

blythburgh wrote:
I heard on Radio 4 Today programme today that a lot of the female's who would be great on the show will not appear for fear of the abuse they will get on social media about their looks, size, choice of clothes etc.

Sad that they feel that way, sadder that people make them feel that way
How can anyone see what they look like or what they are wearing if they are on a radio show ?
Thanked by: blythburgh, kevinchess1

blythburgh
Posts: 14057
Joined: Tue Jun 29, 2010 6:14 pm
Location: The Far East
Has thanked: 29220 times
Been thanked: 5687 times
Contact:

Re: Why is suffogacy sometimes wrong?

Post by blythburgh » Tue Aug 28, 2018 10:35 am

:oops: :oops: I must wake up; :oops: :oops: The show refered to on the Today show was University Challenge.
Keep smiling because the light at the end of someone's tunnel may be you, Ron Cheneler

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests