Do you believe Kavanaugh?

Discussion about miscellaneous topics not covered by other forums
macliam

Do you believe Kavanaugh?

Post by macliam » Fri Sep 28, 2018 12:15 pm

I watched a fair bit of the testimonies yesterday.

On the surface, although she was a very believable witness with no obvious advantage to gain, her memory is flawed and you might accept that this is an attempt to block Kavanaugh. Except, it appears that she has discussed this ussues with her husband and therapist long before Kavanaugh was nominated as a potential supreme court judge.

Then Kavanaugh came out fighting. As a judge, he will have seen many forms of "behaviour" from a defendant and, apparently, he decided that taking an aggressive posture would work in his favour. Time is on his side as many of those contacted couldn't remember the party mentioned, etc. He didn't attack his accuser, rather suggesting that she might well be a victim, but was mistaken.

Blasey-Ford has taken a lie-detector test, Kavanaugh hadn't - and he seems desperate to avoid the FBI investigating this matter. He may not have taken a lie-detector test, but my BS-detector was ringing out. I don't believe he is the outraged innocent he claims, I believe he is someone who has found the sins of his youth come back to haunt him.

I can't say whether this should debar him from the position on offer, but he is lying - and would you want a liar made a lifetime supreme court judge?
Thanked by: blythburgh
Just because I'm paranoid, it doesn't mean they're not out to get me

pabenny

Re: Do you believe Kavanaugh?

Post by pabenny » Fri Sep 28, 2018 1:02 pm

The default response of politicians to accusations of wrong-doing seems to be to deny and to attempt a cover up. How much more powerful would it be if Mr Kavanaugh were to say that he did some dumb things as a teenager, things that he's now ashamed of, that he's now grown up and behaves differently (with some meaningful examples).
Thanked by: macliam, blythburgh

Chadwick

Post by Chadwick » Fri Sep 28, 2018 3:57 pm

pabenny wrote:The default response of politicians to accusations of wrong-doing seems to be to deny and to attempt a cover up. How much more powerful would it be if Mr Kavanaugh were to say that he did some dumb things as a teenager, things that he's now ashamed of, that he's now grown up and behaves differently (with some meaningful examples).
I daresay he would, if there were no consequences to owning up. As it is, if he 'admits guilt' (as it would be seen), he would then be liable for whatever the punishment is, and it would derail his potential judicial career. There's nothing in it for him if he 'confesses'.

There is a risk that the 'arrogance and ill judgment of youth' could become a literal get-out-of-jail card if he were let off his misdemeanours. The signal would be that you can do what you like while you're under 25 and it's not going to bite you later on in life when it's discovered.

It would be refreshing if our public leaders would simply be honest, pay the price and redeem themselves, but I really can't see it happening. The cost is simply too high. If they avoid the penalty, they will. I suspect many people would plead innocence if they thought they could avoid being found guilty.
Thanked by: kevinchess1, blythburgh

kevinchess1
Sharing: 3stars.png

Post by kevinchess1 » Sat Sep 29, 2018 7:06 am

Says he won’t withdraw his nomination for the Supreme Court
Sounds like a guy who won’t take No for an answer
Politically incorrect since 69

macliam

Post by macliam » Sat Sep 29, 2018 8:32 am

kevinchess1 wrote:Says he won’t withdraw his nomination for the Supreme Court
Sounds like a guy who won’t take No for an answer
Yep, determined to force his way in......
Thanked by: kevinchess1, blythburgh
Just because I'm paranoid, it doesn't mean they're not out to get me

blythburgh

Post by blythburgh » Sat Sep 29, 2018 10:00 am

I only saw the BBC news bits but he was asked if he every woken up and forgotten what he had done the night before. Only answer was to repeatedly ask the person who was questioining him if they had ever done so. He did not answer the question.

She is telling the truth and he is either lying or thinks she is telling the truth but cannot remember the alleged event happening.

He will not answer questions, he will not take a lie detector test unlike his accuser. He is not fit to be a Supreme Court Judge for the rest of his

He reminds me of a friend when we were discussing a Labour Councillor. Bot of them were magistrates at the time, the Councillor was chair of the bench. My friend kept strictly to the speed limits when she was a magistrate. On more than one occasion the magistrates were sitting in a town some miles away and my friend would be going at the maximum speed allowed only for the Councillor to whizz past in her car. Way over the speed limit and so was in court long before my friend arrived.

Then men and women would appear before them on speeding charges. As chair of the bench the Councillor was scathing in her attacks on these defendents.

Sadly no speed cameras or police cars ever caught this two faced woman. So it was not a surprise to me some years later to read in the press she was leading to fight to stop a hotel near her house holding wedding receptions in a marquee in the grounds because of the noise. The hotel had been holding these receptions for years before the housing estate had been built and to lose that income could have led to the hotel closing.
Keep smiling because the light at the end of someone's tunnel may be you, Ron Cheneler

pabenny

Post by pabenny » Sat Sep 29, 2018 10:24 am

blythburgh wrote:[Kavaunagh's accuser] is telling the truth ...
I'm impressed by your ability to discern these things based merely on seeing someone's testimony in news clips and without hearing any of the other evidence.

blythburgh

Post by blythburgh » Sat Sep 29, 2018 11:17 am

pabenny wrote:
blythburgh wrote:[Kavaunagh's accuser] is telling the truth ...
I'm impressed by your ability to discern these things based merely on seeing someone's testimony in news clips and without hearing any of the other evidence.
He is refusing to answer questions and refusing a lie detector test. An innocent man would behave differently

But if I had a say then I would need to be in the room for the whole of his and her testimony
Keep smiling because the light at the end of someone's tunnel may be you, Ron Cheneler

Sarah

Post by Sarah » Sat Sep 29, 2018 12:35 pm

He's supported by Trump so automatically tainted by association. I wouldn't trust anything he says.

blythburgh

Post by blythburgh » Sun Sep 30, 2018 8:48 am

Sarah wrote:He's supported by Trump so automatically tainted by association. I wouldn't trust anything he says.
The trouble is that Trump wants a right wing anti abortion etc judge and I am sure there are people he could have chosen with identical views but are decent and trustworthy individuals a;beit with views different to mine on many matters. It is just a pity for Trump and America he chose Kavanaugh.