Strange food...

Topical debate, moral dilemmas and quirky questions. Join fellow shareholders in civilised discussions of issues of interest
Boro Boy

Strange food...

Post by Boro Boy » Mon Oct 01, 2018 12:32 am

...is this really what Caribbean's eat...? :o

Strange Food....jpg
Strange food
Strange Food....jpg (246.97 KiB) Viewed 1271 times
Thanked by: expressman33, blythburgh

expressman33

Re: Strange food...

Post by expressman33 » Mon Oct 01, 2018 10:14 am

Cum on , is this a joke ?

blythburgh

Post by blythburgh » Mon Oct 01, 2018 10:59 am

Cockerels have always been called cocks or are you a townie who does not understand the ways or language of country folk?
Keep smiling because the light at the end of someone's tunnel may be you, Ron Cheneler

pabenny

Post by pabenny » Mon Oct 01, 2018 12:48 pm

The English language offers plenty of scope for double entendres; foreign words and usage provide further opportunities. Most of them are more amusing than this one.

I'm not sure whether drawing attention to this is merely puerile or whether it is mild racism dressed up as humour.
Thanked by: blythburgh

William Joseph1

Post by William Joseph1 » Mon Oct 01, 2018 1:05 pm

pabenny wrote:The English language offers plenty of scope for double entendres; foreign words and usage provide further opportunities. Most of them are more amusing than this one.

I'm not sure whether drawing attention to this is merely puerile or whether it is mild racism dressed up as humour.
I have to be honest. In the main I find little that the OP posts humourous and a lot of his comments borderline racist at the least. I have taken the attitude over the last few weeks that he is attention seeking and has a slightly weird outlook on life. IMO most of his posts are best ignored in the hope that he will feed on them no more than is necessary. Mostly he seems to come up with a load of statements that appear to have no basis in fact and nothing to back them up. These seem to be countered more than adequately by macliam, chadwick and some others. With blythburgh (as much as I love her) throwing in a load of wishy washy nonsense.

However that's the nature of forums I guess. All and everyone (within reason ) can have their say and get things off the chest. Its important to defend that. I will continue in the main to ignore his posts. But have no wish for him to stop. All he is doing is showing himself and prejudices for the stupid things they are.

As for those who attempt to counter his argument (sic) just bear in mind people like him have made up their minds and are not for turning. In a way they enjoy the twist and thrust of creating further controversy.

What a load of rubbish I write sometimes, but I wanted to get it off my chest.
It is polite to thank a post. If you like it or if you feel it has helped you. Use the thumb up on the top right of the post.

Chadwick

Post by Chadwick » Mon Oct 01, 2018 1:55 pm

William Joseph1 wrote:Mostly he seems to come up with a load of statements that appear to have no basis in fact and nothing to back them up. These seem to be countered more than adequately by macliam, chadwick and some others.

As for those who attempt to counter his argument (sic) just bear in mind people like him have made up their minds and are not for turning. In a way they enjoy the twist and thrust of creating further controversy.
I agree. My main motivation for countering some of the claims made is so that other readers don't believe them at face value. I doubt very much that the person making the claim will change their mind - as you say, the response is more likely to be 'well I still believe it anyway'. But hopefully others will not take further points as gospel without querying* them first.

My family will confirm that I am that annoying person whose response to the latest meme on Facebook is to reply with 'Not true' and a link to Snopes.

* Google. Usually the first result will disprove whatever we are being asked to swallow as 'evidence' of biased nonsense.

macliam

Post by macliam » Mon Oct 01, 2018 2:58 pm

Yep, good post from WJ - I'm pleased he decided not to give up on the forums. My motivation is much akin to Chadwick's, I have no delusions that anyone will have a Damascene conversion, but I abhor patent untruths and misdirection being published without counter.

As for this post, well it's all been done before - let's have another giggle at Megapussi crisps, Pee Cola, Vergina beer, Cemen Dip, etc., etc. and get it all off our chests......
Just because I'm paranoid, it doesn't mean they're not out to get me

William Joseph1

Post by William Joseph1 » Mon Oct 01, 2018 3:58 pm

I had never heard of Snopes.
It is polite to thank a post. If you like it or if you feel it has helped you. Use the thumb up on the top right of the post.

Constantine

Post by Constantine » Mon Oct 01, 2018 4:20 pm

Boro Boy wrote:...is this really what Caribbean's eat...? :o

Probably. What's the problem?

After all the Scots eat cock-a-leekie soup.
https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/287 ... eekie-soup
Thanked by: blythburgh, Dream on

expressman33

Post by expressman33 » Mon Oct 01, 2018 4:28 pm

William Joseph1 wrote:I had never heard of Snopes.
Snopes.com | The definitive fact-checking site and reference source ...
https://www.snopes.com/