Do you believe Kavanaugh?

Discussion about miscellaneous topics not covered by other forums
Constantine

Re: Do you believe Kavanaugh?

Post by Constantine » Sun Sep 30, 2018 2:40 pm

blythburgh wrote:...

He is refusing to answer questions and refusing a lie detector test. An innocent man would behave differently
Nonsense.

A so called 'lie detector test' is non-evidential; it is not admissible in court. Even in the USA, where law enforcement uses such things. But law enforcement uses them to narrow down the suspect pool, and in this case the 'suspect pool' is one, so there'd be no firkin point.

Aside from the fact that lie detector tests are often wrong. Which is why we don't use them in the UK.

blythburgh

Post by blythburgh » Mon Oct 01, 2018 10:19 am

I agree with you about lie detector tests but he refused to answer questions. Why would an innocent man do that?
Keep smiling because the light at the end of someone's tunnel may be you, Ron Cheneler

Chadwick

Post by Chadwick » Mon Oct 01, 2018 10:57 am

blythburgh wrote:I agree with you about lie detector tests but he refused to answer questions. Why would an innocent man do that?
To avoid incriminating himself, or making a statement that he later has to contradict.
He doesn't have to prove his innocence. He just has to make sure his guilt is not proven.

If he believes there is a 'witch hunt', then it is safer to avoid giving any hard evidence which could be used against him. He must also have an eye on his potential future career where he is likely to be hounded further. Look how easy it is to find contradictory tweets for whatever nonsense Trump spouts each day. Perhaps Kavanaugh doesn't want to leave similar statements on record that he must later contradict.

I'm not saying he is innocent, just that he be trying to survive this trial with as little damage as possible.
Thanked by: blythburgh

blythburgh

Post by blythburgh » Mon Oct 01, 2018 11:10 am

Does not prove he is innocent or guilty but an interesting read:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-45683790
Keep smiling because the light at the end of someone's tunnel may be you, Ron Cheneler

Constantine

Post by Constantine » Mon Oct 01, 2018 4:18 pm

blythburgh wrote:I agree with you about lie detector tests but he refused to answer questions. Why would an innocent man do that?
What questions?

I haven't followed the detail of the saga.

blythburgh

Post by blythburgh » Mon Oct 01, 2018 6:26 pm

Constantine wrote:
What questions?

I haven't followed the detail of the saga.
They decided that an all white, all male group of men should not be in doing the questioning so got a woman in to do so. She repeatedly asked if he had ever woken up and not been able to remember what he had done the night before. His repeated response was to ask the same question of the woman in charge of the hearing instead of answering her question. And that is what makes me feel he should not be a Supreme Court Judge.

Sarah

Post by Sarah » Tue Oct 02, 2018 1:18 am

There's coverage of the testimony in the latest 'Last Week Tonight With John Oliver' episode (S05E24):
https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x6uil5u (not safe for work) (link might not survive for long)