Disappointed in M and S food

Discussion about miscellaneous topics not covered by other forums
blythburgh

Disappointed in M and S food

Post by blythburgh » Sat Oct 06, 2018 6:31 pm

We were away for my birthday so my near neigbhour and dear friend who is housebound although we keep hoping her leg will improve.

So she got her next door neighbour to buy me a birthday cake and a box of luxury chocolate biscuits. I am certainly not going to say anything to either of them but we were not impressed.

A nice cake but it said in very large lettering on the top it said "with Cornish Clotted Cream". I wonder how many people would have picked it up assuming the cream was sandwiching the cake together. You had to read the small print on the side to discover that the cream had been added to the buttercream topping the cake.

I was given the biscuits the day before we left so kept them in a cool cupboard until we got home. Very nice biscuits but some of the chocolate had a slight bloom on it. I checked and the box of biscuits bought in early Sept. had a use by date of 30th Oct.

So do check the dates if you are buying your M and S chocolate biscuits to put aside for Christmas
Thanked by: dustie
Keep smiling because the light at the end of someone's tunnel may be you, Ron Cheneler

AAAlphaThunder

Re: Disappointed in M and S food

Post by AAAlphaThunder » Sat Oct 06, 2018 6:35 pm

The biscuits shouldn't have gone bad so quick. I would have expected them to be OK until at least 01st January 2019.
Thanked by: blythburgh, dustie
[Secretary] imutual Cashback Investment Club

blythburgh

Post by blythburgh » Sun Oct 07, 2018 6:53 am

They did not go bad, it was just the chocolate on some of them had a slight blush but it was the sell by date that shocked me. People are now buying stuff to eat at Christmas or give as presents.
Keep smiling because the light at the end of someone's tunnel may be you, Ron Cheneler

pabenny

Post by pabenny » Sun Oct 07, 2018 8:21 am

You don't know for sure that the biscuits were actually bought in September. Your friend or neighbour might have already had them in their cupboard. This is consistent with the bloom appearing on the chocolate - and incidentally, that's a consequence of storage conditions, not age.
Thanked by: blythburgh, RonFlorabud

blythburgh

Post by blythburgh » Sun Oct 07, 2018 8:35 am

pabenny wrote:You don't know for sure that the biscuits were actually bought in September. Your friend or neighbour might have already had them in their cupboard. This is consistent with the bloom appearing on the chocolate - and incidentally, that's a consequence of storage conditions, not age.
My neighbour told me when they were bought, she cannot do out due to a foot problem at the moment so when her neighbour mentioned she was going into town and visiting M and S she asked her to get those things for her.

It is not so much the chocolate but the sell by date that concerns me as well as the misleading "Cornish clotted cream" in large letters when only a very small amount was actually used.

How many people would read the much smaller print on the side of the pack? You could not tell from the package whether or not the cake was sandwiched with the cream but I and no doubt others would expect it to be. After all I can get a sponge from Morrisons that has fresh cream sandwiching the 2 parts together and probably for far less than the M and S one though admittedly they do not have a buttercream topping.

William Joseph1

Post by William Joseph1 » Sun Oct 07, 2018 8:50 am

Perhaps a case for making a complaint to the retailer, if you are that unhappy. I know you did not buy them. But they might not ask the crucial question or ask for the reciept. You never know you might get a voucher for money off a future purchase. A lot of products have written on the wrapping
if you are not completely satisfied
Etc, etc
Thanked by: blythburgh
It is polite to thank a post. If you like it or if you feel it has helped you. Use the thumb up on the top right of the post.

expressman33

Post by expressman33 » Sun Oct 07, 2018 9:31 am

it could be due to the warm weather, if the biscuits are not stored in a cool place causes the chocolate to melt and the fat to form on the outside

https://www.independent.co.uk/life-styl ... 63611.html
Thanked by: dustie, xxxraichxxx

blythburgh

Post by blythburgh » Sun Oct 07, 2018 10:24 am

I know why the chocolate goes like that but it was the sell by date that annoyed me. I might not buy chocolates and bisccuits for Christmas in Sept. but I know some people do. Same as Amazon the chocolates I bought from them had a 7 week use by date. I inteded them for a birthday present and know they will be gone long before the use by date. But others could be spreading Christmas costs out and hoarding them for later.

What I am trying to push is buy instore and check your use by dates if you want to buy now eat Christmas time.
Thanked by: xxxraichxxx

expressman33

Post by expressman33 » Sun Oct 07, 2018 10:40 am

Most biscuits have a "Best Before" date and not a "Use By" date so whilst the quality may go down slightly they are still OK to eat
Thanked by: xxxraichxxx, blythburgh

blythburgh

Post by blythburgh » Sun Oct 07, 2018 2:33 pm

Found the biscuit packaging and the date is 10/10/2018 so I do urge everyone who is stocking up for Christmas to check your dates.

I agree best before is not the same as use by and that causes confusion so edible food is chucked away (but never in our house).

But if you are giving a present it does not look good if the best before date has already passed.
Thanked by: Boro Boy