Should he have apologised?

Topical debate, moral dilemmas and quirky questions. Join fellow shareholders in civilised discussions of issues of interest
blythburgh

Should he have apologised?

Post by blythburgh » Mon Oct 15, 2018 10:34 am

Nick Webb was a member of the Labour Party when he was twice elected town Mayor. He and his wife were last elected in 2015 and since then both of them have quit Labour, he joined the Tories earlier this year (quite a while after becoming an Independent Councillor) and quit the party due to lack of time to be a member. (Surely he knew what being an active member of a party meant but apparently not.)

Well he is obviously not a fan of Jeremy Corbyn so when he saw a post on Facebook with picture of Corbyn holding a card which had had the words "If I ever get in power you are all F****D" he reposted it. .

What he did not realise it was originally from the pro-Tommy Robinson Facebook page ‘SAVE Our Country’.

He has now apologised and said he did not support Robinson or his views.

But why should he apologise for reposting a picture that goes along with his views. Admittedly it orginiated from a group he does not have any time for but the views on the picture are his.

I cannot help but feel it is political correctness gone mad.
Keep smiling because the light at the end of someone's tunnel may be you, Ron Cheneler

macliam

Re: Should he have apologised?

Post by macliam » Mon Oct 15, 2018 10:59 am

Because he's a politician and fears being tainted by association with others who share his views.

Presumably he found life difficult without party support and joined the Tories, but was unable to stomach their policies either.

I have little time for modern party politics - which have had more to do with the divisive crises that plague us than any other single issue. The expression "broad church" has all but disappeared as idealogues struggle to capture the high ground and are quite prepared to sacrifice anything or anyone to achieve it, just as the Stalinists did in years past.
Thanked by: blythburgh, Chadwick, pabenny
Just because I'm paranoid, it doesn't mean they're not out to get me

Chadwick

Post by Chadwick » Mon Oct 15, 2018 11:20 am

As macliam says, if you repost something from another page, you are implying your agreement, approval, or acceptance of that page.

Consider if the image were printed on a sheet of paper. Would you still pass it round your friends if it were on Britain First headed paper?
Or if you show an article from the Guardian, you are implying that it is worth reading because it is in the Guardian.

*I know the original scenario didn't involve Britain First, but most readers are more familiar with them than the "Save Our Country" page. And also, you could be pointing out the failings in the article/image and thereby tainting the source with the same failings - but that isn't the scenario in the original post.
Thanked by: pabenny

pabenny

Post by pabenny » Mon Oct 15, 2018 1:01 pm

blythburgh wrote:I cannot help but feel it is political correctness gone mad.
Either Mr Webb agrees with the sentiment in his post.

Or he doesn't.

Or he finds the source of the sentiment is embarrassing and finds that he doesn't agree with it after all.

It's nothing to do with political correctness (why do people feel the need to blame climbdowns on political correctness). It's about not having the courage to defend his own beliefs.

Derbiean

Post by Derbiean » Mon Oct 15, 2018 3:58 pm

blythburgh wrote:Nick Webb was a member of the Labour Party when he was twice elected town Mayor. He and his wife were last elected in 2015 and since then both of them have quit Labour, he joined the Tories earlier this year (quite a while after becoming an Independent Councillor) and quit the party due to lack of time to be a member. (Surely he knew what being an active member of a party meant but apparently not.)

Well he is obviously not a fan of Jeremy Corbyn so when he saw a post on Facebook with picture of Corbyn holding a card which had had the words "If I ever get in power you are all F****D" he reposted it. .

What he did not realise it was originally from the pro-Tommy Robinson Facebook page ‘SAVE Our Country’.

He has now apologised and said he did not support Robinson or his views.

But why should he apologise for reposting a picture that goes along with his views. Admittedly it orginiated from a group he does not have any time for but the views on the picture are his.

I cannot help but feel it is political correctness gone mad.
Yes he should have apologised and its nothing whatsoever to do with political correctness he was dumb enough to repost something without verifying the facts. The labour party are better off without him.