PETITION: A new face for the new £50 note

Media articles about money-saving topics
Boro Boy

PETITION: A new face for the new £50 note

Post by Boro Boy » Thu Oct 18 2018 7:57pm

Who better that Britain's first female PM: https://www.change.org/p/bank-of-englan ... ew-50-note
Thanked by: blythburgh

macliam

Re: PETITION: A new face for the new £50 note

Post by macliam » Thu Oct 18 2018 8:07pm

Boro Boy wrote:Who better that Britain's first female PM: https://www.change.org/p/bank-of-englan ... ew-50-note
Honestly? :eh:

Almost anyone........ :roll:
Just because I'm paranoid, it doesn't mean they're not out to get me

Boro Boy

Post by Boro Boy » Thu Oct 18 2018 8:21pm

Its so easy to knock people and so many people take the easy route...

macliam

Post by macliam » Thu Oct 18 2018 8:46pm

I wouldn't put Thatcher on a doormat, she was a divisive, arrogant woman who did nothing to improve the number of women in Parliament.

Certainly a better candidate

https://www.change.org/p/zehra-zaidi-pu ... ew-50-note

Someone who sacrificed herself for the cause of freedom and had the courage to face her oppressors.

pakefield

Post by pakefield » Thu Oct 18 2018 8:53pm

MIllicent Fawcett because it is the centenary of women getting the vote and Mrs Fawcett and her Suffragist movement were largely responsible.
Thanked by: pabenny, Kelantan

Boro Boy

Post by Boro Boy » Thu Oct 18 2018 9:13pm

macliam wrote:I wouldn't put Thatcher on a doormat, she was a divisive, arrogant woman who did nothing to improve the number of women in Parliament.

Certainly a better candidate

https://www.change.org/p/zehra-zaidi-pu ... ew-50-note

Someone who sacrificed herself for the cause of freedom and had the courage to face her oppressors.
I don't knock what you said but Thatcher was a PM at a time of great change, at a time when instigating change would always cause conflict; she was a war leader not there to put more women in Parliament but to put the best representatives (male or female) there. Although I recognise your offering as a very just option then so too are nearly 1400 VC winners and why should any one of them who gave their lifes (in many cases) be honoured more than another.... A nation's notes should have nations leaders on them.

Here's where to vote: https://www.change.org/p/bank-of-englan ... ew-50-note

kevinchess1

Post by kevinchess1 » Thu Oct 18 2018 9:25pm

'Who decides who will feature on bank notes?'

In its selection process, the Bank of England will select characters who reflect the diversity of British society who are widely admired and have made an important contribution to British society and culture.

I cant believe we will get a vote on it

Not after the last result...

Boro Boy Stop baiting macliam
You know he hates every woman prime minister EVER
He'll get charge with a Hate crime any day now
Politically incorrect since 69

Boro Boy

Post by Boro Boy » Thu Oct 18 2018 10:41pm

Having an idea or thought different to someone else is not wrong, it may be a pain to them but it is just as valid as theirs. Perhaps these people who knock everything that doesn't come from their own mouth may realise this some day...

macliam

Post by macliam » Thu Oct 18 2018 10:46pm

Does Cameron count? He certainly wasn't a man.......

Thatcher doesn't deserve any recognition. Perhaps those citing Blair as a war criminal should take another look at the Belgrano, which never entered the Falklands exclusion zone and was actually sailing away from the British task force when sunk with the loss of 321 members of the crew and two civilians who were on board at the time.

Thatcher personally authorised the attack:
Prime Minister Margaret Thatcher and her War Cabinet, meeting at Chequers the following day, agreed to a request from Admiral Terence Lewin, the Chief of the Defence Staff, to alter the rules of engagement and allow an attack on General Belgrano outside the exclusion zone. Although the group was outside the British-declared total exclusion zone of 370 km (200 nautical miles) radius from the islands, the British decided that it was a threat. After consultation at Cabinet level, Thatcher agreed that Commander Chris Wreford-Brown should attack General Belgrano.

We'll not start on the use of the police to enforce political doctrine - I went to the Rhondda during the miner's strike and saw police vans "guarding" the pitheads to prevent demonstrations. Then there was Orgreave.....

Yeah, what a suitable candidate for putting on a banknote.....

Boro Boy

Post by Boro Boy » Thu Oct 18 2018 11:21pm

macliam wrote:Does Cameron count? He certainly wasn't a man.......

Thatcher doesn't deserve any recognition. Perhaps those citing Blair as a war criminal should take another look at the Belgrano, which never entered the Falklands exclusion zone and was actually sailing away from the British task force when sunk with the loss of 321 members of the crew and two civilians who were on board at the time.

Thatcher personally authorised the attack:
Prime Minister Margaret Thatcher and her War Cabinet, meeting at Chequers the following day, agreed to a request from Admiral Terence Lewin, the Chief of the Defence Staff, to alter the rules of engagement and allow an attack on General Belgrano outside the exclusion zone. Although the group was outside the British-declared total exclusion zone of 370 km (200 nautical miles) radius from the islands, the British decided that it was a threat. After consultation at Cabinet level, Thatcher agreed that Commander Chris Wreford-Brown should attack General Belgrano.

We'll not start on the use of the police to enforce political doctrine - I went to the Rhondda during the miner's strike and saw police vans "guarding" the pitheads to prevent demonstrations. Then there was Orgreave.....

Yeah, what a suitable candidate for putting on a banknote.....

Perhaps we should have given flowers to the Argentinian troops who invaded the Falklands and never sank the Bismark as it was not in British waters.... :wtf: