QUESTION: Should Bercow go as Speaker in the House of Commons?

Topical debate, moral dilemmas and quirky questions. Join fellow shareholders in civilised discussions of issues of interest
Boro Boy

QUESTION: Should Bercow go as Speaker in the House of Commons?

Post by Boro Boy » Fri Oct 19, 2018 12:10 am

Following the report on the bulling culture in the House of Commons it seems that the Speaker John Bercow is highlighted as a "..culprit at the top..." Surely the Government should set example for us all and dismiss him now...?

Bercowcoatofarms.svg.png
John Bercows Coat of Arms
Bercowcoatofarms.svg.png (34.75 KiB) Viewed 1014 times
Thanked by: blythburgh

William Joseph1

Re: QUESTION: Should Bercow go as Speaker in the House of Commons?

Post by William Joseph1 » Fri Oct 19, 2018 8:29 am

Boro Boy wrote:Surely the Government should set example for us all and dismiss him now...?
To be able to dismiss someone you have to employ them. The government is not in a position to dismiss him. Another example of needing to get your facts straight.
It is polite to thank a post. If you like it or if you feel it has helped you. Use the thumb up on the top right of the post.

Boro Boy

Post by Boro Boy » Fri Oct 19, 2018 8:42 am

William Joseph1 wrote:
Boro Boy wrote:Surely the Government should set example for us all and dismiss him now...?
To be able to dismiss someone you have to employ them. The government is not in a position to dismiss him. Another example of needing to get your facts straight.
I think you're being pedantic; the Government is the lead party in Parliament...
Thanked by: blythburgh

William Joseph1

Post by William Joseph1 » Fri Oct 19, 2018 8:45 am

Boro Boy wrote:
William Joseph1 wrote:
I think you're being pedantic; the Government is the lead party in Parliament...
Not at all. He is not a minister or representative of the government. They had no say in his employment and do not pay him. How can they dismiss him?
Thanked by: blythburgh, Dream on
It is polite to thank a post. If you like it or if you feel it has helped you. Use the thumb up on the top right of the post.

blythburgh

Post by blythburgh » Fri Oct 19, 2018 9:31 am

Parliament can put pressure on him to resign. I feel Parliament has enough on its plate with Brexit at the moment. Retiring in the summer makes sense to me. The new Speaker needs time to bed in before the next General Election. Summer seems to be an excellent time to go as Parliament will close for the summer holidays so the work of the year will have been done and dusted.

A new Parliamentary year with a new Speaker makes most sense to me.

But the whole of Parliament, both houses, needs to put its house in order re bullying.

I mean you have to feel sorry for the way Mrs May is bullied by the DUP
Thanked by: William Joseph1, Dream on
Keep smiling because the light at the end of someone's tunnel may be you, Ron Cheneler

Boro Boy

Post by Boro Boy » Fri Oct 19, 2018 9:36 am

William Joseph1 wrote:Not at all. He is not a minister or representative of the government. They had no say in his employment and do not pay him. How can they dismiss him?
He is voted into his job by members of Parliament and it is they who are already asking him to step down rather than have the indignity of a vote to replace him.

William Joseph1

Post by William Joseph1 » Fri Oct 19, 2018 9:56 am

Not all Members of Parliament are the government. I repeat my point, In your OP you have asked for the government to dismiss him. They are not in a position to do so. He is not employed by the government.

The House could perhaps hold a vote of no confidence, if someone creates the motion. But then it would still be his decision as to whether to resign or not.

My personal view is with Blythburgh. He should go when he stated he will do which is next summer. There is no benefit in him going before and indeed it could be detrimental to the work currently being done.
Thanked by: pabenny, blythburgh, Dream on

Boro Boy

Post by Boro Boy » Fri Oct 19, 2018 10:05 am

William Joseph1 wrote:Not all Members of Parliament are the government. I repeat my point, In your OP you have asked for the government to dismiss him. They are not in a position to do so. He is not employed by the government.

The House could perhaps hold a vote of no confidence, if someone creates the motion. But then it would still be his decision as to whether to resign or not.

My personal view is with Blythburgh. He should go when he stated he will do which is next summer. There is no benefit in him going before and indeed it could be detrimental to the work currently being done.

Please explain if the Government table a debate and the vote is won by the Government and their allies to replace The Speaker, how can he remain...? :crazy:

The Government should set the moral standard here after a report on The Commons highlighting The Speaker as a culprit...

William Joseph1

Post by William Joseph1 » Fri Oct 19, 2018 10:09 am

Boro Boy wrote:Please explain if the Government table a debate and the vote is won by the Government and their allies to replace The Speaker, how can he remain...?
What has that got to do with your original statement that the government should dismiss him?
Thanked by: blythburgh, Dream on

Boro Boy

Post by Boro Boy » Fri Oct 19, 2018 10:11 am

William Joseph1 wrote:
Boro Boy wrote:Please explain if the Government table a debate and the vote is won by the Government and their allies to replace The Speaker, how can he remain...?
What has that got to do with your original statement that the government should dismiss him?

...dismiss him the same way as he was elected, via a vote in The House...