PETITION: A new face for the new £50 note

Media articles about money-saving topics
macliam

Re: PETITION: A new face for the new £50 note

Post by macliam » Fri Oct 19 2018 12:32am

Boro Boy wrote:Perhaps we should have given flowers to the Argentinian troops who invaded the Falklands and never sank the Bismark as it was not in British waters.... :wtf:
Total garbage - the invasion of the Falklands was not warranted and I do not accept the subjugation of any native population by dint of proximity and relative strength. However, the position of the Argentinian junta was clear and their action was encouraged by the fact that the defence of the South Atlantic was reduced by Thatcher's government.

As to your second point, the Bismark had attacked British ships - the Belgrano had not, nor had it entered the exclusion zone. The sinking was not justifiable then and you shame yourself by doing so now.

Thatcher is an inappropriate choice.
Thanked by: blythburgh
Just because I'm paranoid, it doesn't mean they're not out to get me

fattulip74

Post by fattulip74 » Fri Oct 19 2018 5:52am

There is a very good reason for Thatcher being on the £50 note, at least it will stop Conservative students burning them in front of homeless people in future.
Thanked by: blythburgh, Kelantan

Fuggsy

Post by Fuggsy » Fri Oct 19 2018 7:59am

kevinchess1 wrote:'Who decides who will feature on bank notes?'

In its selection process, the Bank of England will select characters who reflect the diversity of British society who are widely admired and have made an important contribution to British society and culture.

I cant believe we will get a vote on it

Not after the last result...
Do you mean Boaty McBoatface? :wtf:

Boro Boy

Post by Boro Boy » Fri Oct 19 2018 8:50am

macliam wrote:
Boro Boy wrote:Perhaps we should have given flowers to the Argentinian troops who invaded the Falklands and never sank the Bismark as it was not in British waters.... :wtf:
Total garbage - the invasion of the Falklands was not warranted and I do not accept the subjugation of any native population by dint of proximity and relative strength. However, the position of the Argentinian junta was clear and their action was encouraged by the fact that the defence of the South Atlantic was reduced by Thatcher's government.

As to your second point, the Bismark had attacked British ships - the Belgrano had not, nor had it entered the exclusion zone. The sinking was not justifiable then and you shame yourself by doing so now.

If you have a different point of view from me, even if I believe your view to be wrong (as here) I don't call it garbage, rubbish, trash... or worse it just weakens your case and shows you up. Please be civil enough to do the same!

Should we have waited until a British ship was sunk!!!!

"When ARA General Belgrano was sunk on 2 May 1982, it was outside the TEZ. This has led to much debate and controversy over whether the attack was legal. However, exclusion zones are historically declared for the benefit of neutral vessels; during war, under international law, the heading and location of a belligerent naval vessel has no bearing on its status. In addition, the captain of the Belgrano, Héctor Bonzo, has testified that the attack was legitimate (as did the Argentine government in 1994).

Interviews conducted by Martin Middlebrook for his book, The Fight For The Malvinas, indicated that Argentine Naval officers understood the intent of the message was to indicate that any ships operating near the exclusion zone could be attacked. Argentine Rear-Admiral Allara who was in charge of the task force of which the Belgrano was a part said, "After that message of 23 April, the entire South Atlantic was an operational theatre for both sides. We, as professionals, said it was just too bad that we lost the Belgrano"."

Thanks to Military Wiki for those details. :thumbup:

See: http://military.wikia.com/wiki/Total_Exclusion_Zone

blythburgh

Post by blythburgh » Fri Oct 19 2018 9:23am

There is 100% difference between the sinking of The Bismark and the Belgrano
Keep smiling because the light at the end of someone's tunnel may be you, Ron Cheneler

blythburgh

Post by blythburgh » Fri Oct 19 2018 9:26am

pakefield wrote:MIllicent Fawcett because it is the centenary of women getting the vote and Mrs Fawcett and her Suffragist movement were largely responsible.
Typical, find a Suffolk woman to be on the note. But I would certainly vote for her. The Suffragettes get all the publicity but it was due to the reasoned arguments of the Suffragists that won the battle for women's suffrage. Some historians feel that the much vaunted Suffragettes put back the cause with their actions that could justifiably be called terrorism at times.
Thanked by: Kelantan
Keep smiling because the light at the end of someone's tunnel may be you, Ron Cheneler

blythburgh

Post by blythburgh » Fri Oct 19 2018 9:34am

In its selection process, the Bank of England will select characters who reflect the diversity of British society who are widely admired and have made an important contribution to British society and culture.

Boro Boy Stop baiting macliam
You know he hates every woman prime minister EVER
He'll get charge with a Hate crime any day now

We do not get a vote, this is a Guido Fawkes started Change.Org petition. No vote from me but I can understand why some would vote for her to be on the note.

Just remember not everything Thatcher did was good and not everything she did was bad. Like every other Prime Minister she made mistakes, walked down the right road and times and the wrong one at times. She was a human being with feet of clay just like the rest of us.
Thanked by: Kelantan, Boro Boy

Boro Boy

Post by Boro Boy » Fri Oct 19 2018 11:36am

blythburgh wrote:

Boro Boy Stop baiting macliam
You know he hates every woman prime minister EVER
He'll get charge with a Hate crime any day now

We do not get a vote, this is a Guido Fawkes started Change.Org petition. No vote from me but I can understand why some would vote for her to be on the note.

Just remember not everything Thatcher did was good and not everything she did was bad. Like every other Prime Minister she made mistakes, walked down the right road and times and the wrong one at times. She was a human being with feet of clay just like the rest of us.

Fair assumption, we are all human.... ;)

macliam

Post by macliam » Fri Oct 19 2018 7:34pm

Boro Boy wrote:
macliam wrote:

If you have a different point of view from me, even if I believe your view to be wrong (as here) I don't call it garbage, rubbish, trash... or worse it just weakens your case and shows you up. Please be civil enough to do the same!

Your comment was as I described, provocative garbage - if you don't like being called out on it, don't post it. The comment above is more of the same.

As to the rest of your post, the Belgrano was known to be no threat to the task force as it was being shadowed by the British nuclear submarine Conqueror. The sinking was merely a cynical show of force that Thatcher knew would cost many lives - over 320 in the end - so regardless of the post-victory re-writing of history, it was not a justified act. Tony Blair say he believes that there were WMDs in Iraq, so presumably he is innocent of any blame too, eh???

Just because I'm paranoid, it doesn't mean they're not out to get me

Boro Boy

Post by Boro Boy » Fri Oct 19 2018 8:15pm

macliam wrote: Your comment was as I described, provocative garbage - if you don't like being called out on it, don't post it. The comment above is more of the same.

As to the rest of your post, the Belgrano was known to be no threat to the task force as it was being shadowed by the British nuclear submarine Conqueror. The sinking was merely a cynical show of force that Thatcher knew would cost many lives - over 320 in the end - so regardless of the post-victory re-writing of history, it was not a justified act. Tony Blair say he believes that there were WMDs in Iraq, so presumably he is innocent of any blame too, eh???

It seems worthwhile repeating the following as it seems you have not read it:

"When ARA General Belgrano was sunk on 2 May 1982, it was outside the TEZ. This has led to much debate and controversy over whether the attack was legal. However, exclusion zones are historically declared for the benefit of neutral vessels; during war, under international law, the heading and location of a belligerent naval vessel has no bearing on its status. In addition, the captain of the Belgrano, Héctor Bonzo, has testified that the attack was legitimate (as did the Argentine government in 1994).

Interviews conducted by Martin Middlebrook for his book, The Fight For The Malvinas, indicated that Argentine Naval officers understood the intent of the message was to indicate that any ships operating near the exclusion zone could be attacked. Argentine Rear-Admiral Allara who was in charge of the task force of which the Belgrano was a part said, "After that message of 23 April, the entire South Atlantic was an operational theatre for both sides. We, as professionals, said it was just too bad that we lost the Belgrano"."

Thanks to Military Wiki for those details.

See: http://military.wikia.com/wiki/Total_Exclusion_Zone