Cake gate

Topical debate, moral dilemmas and quirky questions. Join fellow shareholders in civilised discussions of issues of interest
kevinchess1
Sharing: 5stars.png

Cake gate

Post by kevinchess1 » Thu Oct 18, 2018 8:12 pm

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-32065233

Well,
This was a surprise
The NI supreme court ruled Unanimously that a Christian baker had the right not to supply a cake with 'Support Gay marriage' iced on it
They said that it didn't prove he was Homophobic.

I doubt we've heard the end of this
Probably an appeal to a European court
The Equality Commission sai have spent an estimated $250,000 on this
Time to stop throwing good money after bad me thinks
Politically incorrect since 69

blythburgh

Re: Cake gate

Post by blythburgh » Fri Oct 19, 2018 9:38 am

I am on the side of the bakers in this one. But they belong to the sort of church you will never find me in. But a man went in with a provocative request with the aim of it ending up in court.

I find both sides equally unpleasant but it is making a valid point.

The biggest waste of public money to my mind was the idiots who went as far as the Supreme Court to get civil partnerships for everyone. Why? Because marriage is dominated by men as the Father of the Bride has to give her away. Er where is that in the law of the land or even the church. Mothers of the Bride have taken on the role they say can only be taken by a man. If you are not having a church wedding you can have any words you want and nobody has to give away the bride. Even church services can be altered, we did not have the bit about marriage and children in our C of E wedding as I had already had a hysterectomy.

Surely the Govt, should just have announced that as gay people can legally marry civil partnerships were no longer needed and abolish them.

Can somebody please explain to me why you would want at civil partnership rather than a marriage? I cannot see the point of them but I might be wrong of course.
Keep smiling because the light at the end of someone's tunnel may be you, Ron Cheneler

William Joseph1

Post by William Joseph1 » Fri Oct 19, 2018 11:15 am

The baker may or not have been homophobic, but that was not the reason for turning down the order. IMO a victory for common sense. It is not often I agree with Peter Tatchell, but in this case I do.
It is polite to thank a post. If you like it or if you feel it has helped you. Use the thumb up on the top right of the post.

macliam

Post by macliam » Fri Oct 19, 2018 4:11 pm

In the Republic, they asked how a baker would feel about being asked to make a cake saying "F*** the Pope".
Mostly the replies were as you would think, but a significant number of people said "Why not, he's f***ed us long enough!!"

Truth is this was a clash of two wrongs. Forcing people to act against their principles is rarely successful - and whilst I might disagree fundamentally with the bakers on a number of issues, I think they have the right to deny custom as long as it is not done as an act of discrimination. Refusing to create a cake for a gay couple saying "Happy Birthday" would be wrong, refusing to add a particular message is different.

There are far bigger fish to fry in the 6 counties.........
Thanked by: kevinchess1, blythburgh
Just because I'm paranoid, it doesn't mean they're not out to get me