QUESTION: Should Bercow go as Speaker in the House of Commons?

Topical debate, moral dilemmas and quirky questions. Join fellow shareholders in civilised discussions of issues of interest
William Joseph1
Posts: 11084
Joined: Tue Jun 29, 2010 7:14 pm
Location: The Isle of Dreams
Has thanked: 2488 times
Been thanked: 6383 times
Contact:

Re: QUESTION: Should Bercow go as Speaker in the House of Commons?

Post by William Joseph1 » Fri Oct 19, 2018 9:17 am

Boro Boy wrote:
William Joseph1 wrote:
Boro Boy wrote:Please explain if the Government table a debate and the vote is won by the Government and their allies to replace The Speaker, how can he remain...?
What has that got to do with your original statement that the government should dismiss him?

...dismiss him the same way as he was elected, via a vote in The House...
Your very obvious in your twisting of the facts rather than admitting you got it wrong in your first post.

I repeat. The government is not in a position to dismiss him in any way shape or form. The House could decide to hold a vote of no confidence. But then it would be up to him to resign (or not) not to ignore the fact that a vote of no confidence may go in his favour. This thread is going nowhere in my opinion and unless anyone comes up with some sensible posts will now be ignored by me.
Thanked by: blythburgh, Dream on
It is polite to thank a post. If you like it or if you feel it has helped you. Use the thumb up on the top right of the post.

Boro Boy
Posts: 3573
Joined: Mon Sep 15, 2014 5:05 pm
Location: London
Has thanked: 946 times
Been thanked: 1977 times
Contact:

Re: QUESTION: Should Bercow go as Speaker in the House of Commons?

Post by Boro Boy » Fri Oct 19, 2018 9:26 am

William Joseph1 wrote:Your very obvious in your twisting of the facts rather than admitting you got it wrong in your first post.

I repeat. The government is not in a position to dismiss him in any way shape or form. The House could decide to hold a vote of no confidence. But then it would be up to him to resign (or not) not to ignore the fact that a vote of no confidence may go in his favour. This thread is going nowhere in my opinion and unless anyone comes up with some sensible posts will now be ignored by me.

Any movement on this should be initiated by The Government... :wtf:

blythburgh
Posts: 14057
Joined: Tue Jun 29, 2010 6:14 pm
Location: The Far East
Has thanked: 29220 times
Been thanked: 5687 times
Contact:

Re: QUESTION: Should Bercow go as Speaker in the House of Commons?

Post by blythburgh » Fri Oct 19, 2018 9:27 am

Boro Boy wrote:
William Joseph1 wrote:Not at all. He is not a minister or representative of the government. They had no say in his employment and do not pay him. How can they dismiss him?
He is voted into his job by members of Parliament and it is they who are already asking him to step down rather than have the indignity of a vote to replace him.
No they are not, some are asking him to resign now others want him to stay until the summer.
Thanked by: Dream on, William Joseph1
Keep smiling because the light at the end of someone's tunnel may be you, Ron Cheneler

Boro Boy
Posts: 3573
Joined: Mon Sep 15, 2014 5:05 pm
Location: London
Has thanked: 946 times
Been thanked: 1977 times
Contact:

Re: QUESTION: Should Bercow go as Speaker in the House of Commons?

Post by Boro Boy » Fri Oct 19, 2018 10:31 am

blythburgh wrote:
Boro Boy wrote:
William Joseph1 wrote:Not at all. He is not a minister or representative of the government. They had no say in his employment and do not pay him. How can they dismiss him?
He is voted into his job by members of Parliament and it is they who are already asking him to step down rather than have the indignity of a vote to replace him.
No they are not, some are asking him to resign now others want him to stay until the summer.

Why would they want him to stay? If he was an employee of a normal company and he was highlighted in an internal report as a culprit of abuse and bullying of staff would people say "please stay!?!" I doubt that.

It's just not acceptable in the heart of Government and the lead should be taken to take action on this highlighted culprit.
Thanked by: blythburgh

Dream on
Posts: 599
Joined: Fri Nov 04, 2011 7:16 pm
Has thanked: 2980 times
Been thanked: 414 times
Contact:

Re: QUESTION: Should Bercow go as Speaker in the House of Commons?

Post by Dream on » Fri Oct 19, 2018 11:09 am

Boro Boy wrote:Why would they want him to stay? If he was an employee of a normal company and he was highlighted in an internal report as a culprit of abuse and bullying of staff would people say "please stay!?!" I doubt that.
Where was he highlighted? I admit I have not read the report. But my understanding is that no names have been mentioned.

Boro Boy
Posts: 3573
Joined: Mon Sep 15, 2014 5:05 pm
Location: London
Has thanked: 946 times
Been thanked: 1977 times
Contact:

Re: QUESTION: Should Bercow go as Speaker in the House of Commons?

Post by Boro Boy » Fri Oct 19, 2018 11:22 am

Dream on wrote:
Boro Boy wrote:Why would they want him to stay? If he was an employee of a normal company and he was highlighted in an internal report as a culprit of abuse and bullying of staff would people say "please stay!?!" I doubt that.
Where was he highlighted? I admit I have not read the report. But my understanding is that no names have been mentioned.


View: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-politi ... ow-to-quit
Thanked by: blythburgh

Dream on
Posts: 599
Joined: Fri Nov 04, 2011 7:16 pm
Has thanked: 2980 times
Been thanked: 414 times
Contact:

Re: QUESTION: Should Bercow go as Speaker in the House of Commons?

Post by Dream on » Fri Oct 19, 2018 11:37 am

Boro Boy wrote:
Dream on wrote:
Boro Boy wrote:Why would they want him to stay? If he was an employee of a normal company and he was highlighted in an internal report as a culprit of abuse and bullying of staff would people say "please stay!?!" I doubt that.
Where was he highlighted? I admit I have not read the report. But my understanding is that no names have been mentioned.
View: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-politi ... ow-to-quit
Your link is of an MP asking/telling him to quit. Not a highlight from the report as you suggest in your post. As I said there are no names as I understand it in the report.

Common sense seems to me to be that he should go in the summer as he has indicated, it makes no sense at all for him to go now.
Thanked by: blythburgh, kevinchess1

Chadwick
Posts: 1491
Joined: Mon Jul 05, 2010 3:21 pm
Has thanked: 715 times
Been thanked: 1911 times
Contact:

Re: QUESTION: Should Bercow go as Speaker in the House of Commons?

Post by Chadwick » Fri Oct 19, 2018 11:46 am

Ironically, this thread reads like an exchange across the floor of the House of Commons.
What's needed is a strong-minded Speaker to step in and knock a few heads together.

macliam
Posts: 7769
Joined: Thu Jul 18, 2013 11:26 am
Location: By the Deben, Suffolk
Has thanked: 1371 times
Been thanked: 6682 times
Contact:

Re: QUESTION: Should Bercow go as Speaker in the House of Commons?

Post by macliam » Fri Oct 19, 2018 2:27 pm

I hate to bring up the obvious, but Brexiteers see Bercow as an obstacle and many Tories dislike him (and always have). So focussing on him is a fairly obvious tactic at present.

As I understand it, he is not mentioned directly in the report, but there is criticism of the entire management team ...... So, Bercow has already indicatedthat he will step down, which gives time for a replacement to come forward .... Given that the whole team were criticised, then the whole team should go and whether such a root an branch change is a good idea as a knee-jerk reaction is questionable. But it won't stop those who dislike Bercow using it as another excuse for him to go.

WRT this thread, as has been pointed out, the speaker is independent and neither selected not answerable to the government, he is a servant of the house. So the government has no authority to do anything, thank goodness.
Thanked by: blythburgh
Just because I'm paranoid, it doesn't mean they're not out to get me

Boro Boy
Posts: 3573
Joined: Mon Sep 15, 2014 5:05 pm
Location: London
Has thanked: 946 times
Been thanked: 1977 times
Contact:

Re: QUESTION: Should Bercow go as Speaker in the House of Commons?

Post by Boro Boy » Fri Oct 19, 2018 6:38 pm

You sure...? The last Speaker to be sacked (advised to resign) was some 300+ years ago....

See: http://nickpage.co.uk/stuff/the-last-sp ... be-sacked/

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests