This is spooky.....

Discussion about miscellaneous topics not covered by other forums
macliam

This is spooky.....

Post by macliam » Wed Oct 24, 2018 11:58 pm

A report on the BBC website regarding the problems getting insurance for cancer survivors. - https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-45968505

Yesterday I had a colonoscopy to check the results of my colectomy in August last year.

The results were clear - no need for a repeat for 3 years. This comes after a clean CT-scan and blood tests.
So, I had a tumour, it was removed and, at present, I do not have cancer - buíochas le Dia :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

I'm going to Portugal next month and thought I'd get some insurance...... Last annual premium £58, premium quoted today - £785 :wtf:
So checked with another company - they declined my business......

I understand "risk", but my risk now is actually lower than someone who has not yet been diagnosed with cancer... this is crazy. :crazy:
Thanked by: kevinchess1, blythburgh
Just because I'm paranoid, it doesn't mean they're not out to get me

Boro Boy

Re: This is spooky.....

Post by Boro Boy » Thu Oct 25, 2018 12:06 am

macliam wrote:A report on the BBC website regarding the problems getting insurance for cancer survivors. - https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-45968505

Yesterday I had a colonoscopy to check the results of my colectomy in August last year.

The results were clear - no need for a repeat for 3 years. This comes after a clean CT-scan and blood tests.
So, I had a tumour, it was removed and, at present, I do not have cancer - buíochas le Dia :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

I'm going to Portugal next month and thought I'd get some insurance...... Last annual premium £58, premium quoted today - £785 :wtf:

I understand "risk", but my risk now is actually lower than someone who has not yet been diagnosed with cancer... this is crazy. :crazy:

I'm sorry to hear your circumstances but it just shows you how this tick box society is going... What ever happened to face to face service...!?! :think:
Thanked by: kevinchess1, blythburgh

macliam

Post by macliam » Thu Oct 25, 2018 1:01 am

Boro Boy wrote:
macliam wrote:A report on the BBC website regarding the problems getting insurance for cancer survivors. - https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-45968505

I'm sorry to hear your circumstances but it just shows you how this tick box society is going... What ever happened to face to face service...!?! :think:
I agree - but even the tick box is absurd, given my comparative level of risk.
It's just a poorly though-out strategy.
Thanked by: blythburgh

AAAlphaThunder

Post by AAAlphaThunder » Thu Oct 25, 2018 3:56 pm

Would the European Health Insurance Card cover the costs of treatment?
[Secretary] imutual Cashback Investment Club

macliam

Post by macliam » Thu Oct 25, 2018 4:02 pm

AAAlphaThunder wrote:Would the European Health Insurance Card cover the costs of treatment?
EHIC is for emergencies and offers access to the public health system under similar conditions. For non-emergency situations charges may apply (e.g. €14 per visit to a GP, ambulance charges, etc.) Whether EHIC would cover "pre-existing conditions" is also moot.

Obviously EHIC will not cover the non-health side of travel insurance - so any delays and (more importantly) contingent losses to hotel bookings, etc., or loss or damage to baggage. etc., etc.

For a "normal" traveller, the failure to insure against these losses could be a deal-breaker.

expressman33

Post by expressman33 » Thu Oct 25, 2018 6:15 pm

macliam

Post by macliam » Thu Oct 25, 2018 7:39 pm

Cheers expresso, but even via that link - and with an insurance company I've never heard of - the quote is £370. So cheaper than the quote I had, but still six times more than my pre-diagnosis policy price. Most of the other companies just don't meet my requirement for maximum trip length and/or impose big excess charges (which all but wiped out one claim I made a few years back). :|

Even with this policy, there are some extra conditions - a lower single-trip allowance than before (90 days rather than 120) and much mention of "full remission". I'm not sure whether this is a get-out clause in case the unforeseen happens, or if some kind of "proof" is needed (which i don't have). :eh:

Remember, I had a resection over a year ago and no lymph nodes were compromised, so my tumour has been removed with some margin. Plus recent bloods, a full-body CT-scan and a colonoscopy have shown nothing untoward. So, I'm not sure how you prove "full remission", but I guess I'm it. Now imagine the quote for someone wanting a break from Chemo, or who is pre-op or who is playing the waiting game....... :roll:

blythburgh

Post by blythburgh » Thu Oct 25, 2018 8:31 pm

I heard something about a group trying to get this changed I think it was on the news yesterday but it was in the background so not really sure of all the details. I have a feeling it might have been about young cancer survivors
Keep smiling because the light at the end of someone's tunnel may be you, Ron Cheneler

William Joseph1

Post by William Joseph1 » Thu Oct 25, 2018 8:38 pm

blythburgh wrote:I heard something about a group trying to get this changed I think it was on the news yesterday but it was in the background so not really sure of all the details. I have a feeling it might have been about young cancer survivors
it was and the spokesman from the ABI (Association of British Insurers) was trying hard to justify the cost by quoting the high cost of medical treatment in the States, even though the person in question was not going there. It seems to be a regular thing and very standard within the industry.
It is polite to thank a post. If you like it or if you feel it has helped you. Use the thumb up on the top right of the post.

macliam

Post by macliam » Fri Oct 26, 2018 2:28 am

William Joseph1 wrote:
blythburgh wrote:I heard something about a group trying to get this changed I think it was on the news yesterday but it was in the background so not really sure of all the details. I have a feeling it might have been about young cancer survivors
it was and the spokesman from the ABI (Association of British Insurers) was trying hard to justify the cost by quoting the high cost of medical treatment in the States, even though the person in question was not going there. It seems to be a regular thing and very standard within the industry.
It is about young cancer survivors - it is quoted in the link I included.

But, young or old, the discrimination is the same. There's not even an option to exclude cover for the condition.... it's pay up or sod off.