It is not just prices that are changing

Topical debate, moral dilemmas and quirky questions. Join fellow shareholders in civilised discussions of issues of interest
blythburgh

It is not just prices that are changing

Post by blythburgh » Fri Oct 26, 2018 9:56 am

We were in Wells next the Sea Co-op in Sept. and as we left the checkout the lady there continued a conversation she had obviously been having with the lady at the tobacco checkout. "they went up 45p and that is a big rise, we get a lot of smaller ones but that is big."

No idea what had gone up by 45p but I know things have gone up overall. FOr example the double box of Tesco tissues that was always £2 unless on offer but is now £2.45.

But there are the sneaky price rises like smaller packs for the same money. We always buy 3 packs of sanitary towels and a pack of 4 loo rolls for the food box at the front of the store. This week when I picked up the packs of towels I noticed they had less in them for the same price.

How often do we not notice the pack is smaller?
Keep smiling because the light at the end of someone's tunnel may be you, Ron Cheneler

pabenny

Re: It is not just prices that are changing

Post by pabenny » Fri Oct 26, 2018 1:00 pm

"Shrinkflation" is not new news. Sometimes it is widely reported, such as the reduction of the pack size of McVities Jaffa Cakes. And sometimes not.

If you are the sort of person who notices how much you spend (whether by nature or by necessity), you will notice shrinkflation just as much as you will notice price increases. If you just fill your basket/trolley, shrinkflation will pass you by.

The difference between increasing prices and reducing pack sizes is that price rises are more likely to lead people to switch brands or to purchase a different product.
Thanked by: blythburgh

Constantine

Post by Constantine » Fri Oct 26, 2018 4:30 pm

pabenny wrote:"Shrinkflation" is not new news. Sometimes it is widely reported, such as the reduction of the pack size of McVities Jaffa Cakes. And sometimes not.
Agreed.

What happens is that they shrink the pack size over time from 12 to 6, then introduce an 'extra large' 12 pack that is better value, then withdraw the 6 pack from sale, and start all over again.
Thanked by: expressman33, blythburgh

macliam

Post by macliam » Fri Oct 26, 2018 4:48 pm

I picked up a packet of Mars bars the other day. It seemed full of air. The actual bar felt to be about the size of those "fun size" bars that I could never see the point of. I just shook my head and put it back on the shelf.....

Then there was the Toblerone fiasco.......

... and is it just because I'm bigger that Wagon Wheels seem to have shrunk? I remember them as a two-hander, not a bite-size snack.
Just because I'm paranoid, it doesn't mean they're not out to get me

AAAlphaThunder

Post by AAAlphaThunder » Fri Oct 26, 2018 5:22 pm

Toblerone was a unique example,they went as far as to change the signature shape of the product just to reduce it's weight.
[Secretary] imutual Cashback Investment Club

Sarah

Post by Sarah » Fri Oct 26, 2018 6:43 pm

AAAlphaThunder wrote:Toblerone was a unique example,they went as far as to change the signature shape of the product just to reduce it's weight.
Chocolate Orange suffered a similar fate; it originally had solid chocolate segments, but now they're concave with pretty obvious hollow spaces in-between each one. This dropped the weight by slightly more than 10% from 175g to 157g (perhaps this too was actually a little sneaky, being the same digits in a different order)!

expressman33

Post by expressman33 » Fri Oct 26, 2018 7:59 pm

A small pack of washing powder used to be 1.5kg , then reduced to 1.35 , then 1.115 , then 1.1 , 1.0 ,
I believe the small size eventually went to 0.8kg

pabenny

Post by pabenny » Sat Oct 27, 2018 8:05 am

Laundry detergent is a tricky one to compare. A good proportion of the content is filler and so the weight is not a consistent guide to value.

For Wagon Wheels, the maker insists that they have not changed in size.

The sneaky ones are those that we purchase by the unit - like chocolate orange - as we pay less attention to the pack weight, although I think we just see it as one of those things.

blythburgh

Post by blythburgh » Sat Oct 27, 2018 8:59 am

yes, most of the time we do not notice the price rises or pack shrinkage.

As for washing powder, can never work out why anyone would want to have large packets to store when you can get tablets, liquid or liquid tablets.

And as for Mars Bars, well I can remember when the base was hard not soft like now, and it was several times thicker than the caramel top. Refuse to buy them these days.

Heard on the radio that every new variant on Dairy Milk etc since Cadbury's were taken over has had a cheaper filler like biscuit.
Keep smiling because the light at the end of someone's tunnel may be you, Ron Cheneler

AAAlphaThunder

Post by AAAlphaThunder » Sat Oct 27, 2018 6:01 pm

blythburgh wrote:Heard on the radio that every new variant on Dairy Milk etc since Cadbury's were taken over has had a cheaper filler like biscuit.
Also, the chocolate doesn't taste the same as it used to.
[Secretary] imutual Cashback Investment Club