Do you live on the East Coast...?

Media articles about money-saving topics
Boro Boy

Do you live on the East Coast...?

Post by Boro Boy » Sat Oct 27, 2018 1:30 am

I'm sure there are a few people that live on the East Coast that will be very concerned with the following headline: https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2018/1 ... given-sea/ :wtf:
Thanked by: blythburgh

macliam

Re: Do you live on the East Coast...?

Post by macliam » Sat Oct 27, 2018 1:59 am

The coast has been eroding for centuries.
Anyone who buys a property and ignores advice gets what they ask for.....
Last edited by macliam on Sat Oct 27, 2018 11:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Just because I'm paranoid, it doesn't mean they're not out to get me

William Joseph1

Post by William Joseph1 » Sat Oct 27, 2018 8:41 am

Boro Boy wrote:I'm sure there are a few people that live on the East Coast that will be very concerned with the following headline: https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2018/1 ... given-sea/ :wtf:
Why? Coastal erosion is nothing new nor have any government policies changed in recent years. The authors of this report are purely stating what is already and has been happening for years. Move on, no news here.
It is polite to thank a post. If you like it or if you feel it has helped you. Use the thumb up on the top right of the post.

blythburgh

Post by blythburgh » Sat Oct 27, 2018 10:06 am

If you live on a coast (not just the East one, why do you think the Cliffs at Dover etc are white?) you know the risk. When there is a surge a great deal can be lost very quickly but thankfully they are rare though getting more frequent.

What is the Govt supposed to do? Build more very expensive sea defences which move the problem down the coast?

And those sea defences only last a certain amount of time.

The only thing that will help will for all countries properly address global warming. But the Govt's are either climate change deniers or feel that the public would turn against them at the next election if they did what is needed to be done. And Joe Public who could do things shrug their shoulders and say nothing I can do to help.
Keep smiling because the light at the end of someone's tunnel may be you, Ron Cheneler

Boro Boy

Post by Boro Boy » Mon Oct 29, 2018 9:45 am

William Joseph1 wrote:
Boro Boy wrote:I'm sure there are a few people that live on the East Coast that will be very concerned with the following headline: https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2018/1 ... given-sea/ :wtf:
Why? Coastal erosion is nothing new nor have any government policies changed in recent years. The authors of this report are purely stating what is already and has been happening for years. Move on, no news here.

You may wish to read between the lines and you will see it is the speed of the erosion which is the news and it is news which will certainly be of concern to people living on the East Coast in areas already vulnerable to erosion; if you live in the middle of Britain or couldn't care less then this speeding erosion may not be of concern but this and Governments input (or lack of it), news it remains...! :think:

William Joseph1

Post by William Joseph1 » Mon Oct 29, 2018 9:53 am

Boro Boy wrote:
William Joseph1 wrote:
You may wish to read between the lines and you will see it is the speed of the erosion which is the news and it is news which will certainly be of concern to people living on the East Coast in areas already vulnerable to erosion; if you live in the middle of Britain or couldn't care less then this speeding erosion may not be of concern but this and Governments input (or lack of it), news it remains...! :think:
I never read between the lines, That's what creates false news. Dealing in facts is what i do deal in. The speeding up of erosion is caused by climate change. That is a cause of concern for everyone in the world and not just for people living in small relatively isolated communities on the East coast. As I said! No new news here.
It is polite to thank a post. If you like it or if you feel it has helped you. Use the thumb up on the top right of the post.

blythburgh

Post by blythburgh » Mon Oct 29, 2018 10:10 am

William Joseph1 wrote:. That is a cause of concern for everyone in the world and not just for people living in small relatively isolated communities on the East coast. As I said! No new news here.

Not just small relativelyl isolated communities are at risk. I know how this is affecting large towns like Lowestoft and Great Yarmouth that are affected. When the conditions are right we get sea surges which cause flooding in both towns though hopefully the new measures already taken and are in the pipeline will be effective in reducing the risk. But as time goes on if we do not truly deal with climate change a surprising number of people will be at risk. Not even London's current flood defences will be sufficient.

But some countries like Bangladesh for example are at a far higher risk from rising sea levels caused by Global Warming. WJ is correct in that it is a cause for concern for everyone.

I try to do my bit, tiny though it is. But I am like the boy on the beach. He came down and found it covered with starfish washed ashore by a freak wave. He picked up and threw back into the sea as many as he could. When the adult said "you can not help so why waste your time?" he replied, "it matters to the ones that I can save.". He did something and made a difference to a few starfish which was better than the adult who made no difference
Thanked by: William Joseph1, Boro Boy
Keep smiling because the light at the end of someone's tunnel may be you, Ron Cheneler

Boro Boy

Post by Boro Boy » Mon Oct 29, 2018 12:53 pm

blythburgh wrote:
William Joseph1 wrote:. That is a cause of concern for everyone in the world and not just for people living in small relatively isolated communities on the East coast. As I said! No new news here.

Not just small relativelyl isolated communities are at risk. I know how this is affecting large towns like Lowestoft and Great Yarmouth that are affected. When the conditions are right we get sea surges which cause flooding in both towns though hopefully the new measures already taken and are in the pipeline will be effective in reducing the risk. But as time goes on if we do not truly deal with climate change a surprising number of people will be at risk. Not even London's current flood defences will be sufficient.

But some countries like Bangladesh for example are at a far higher risk from rising sea levels caused by Global Warming. WJ is correct in that it is a cause for concern for everyone.

I try to do my bit, tiny though it is. But I am like the boy on the beach. He came down and found it covered with starfish washed ashore by a freak wave. He picked up and threw back into the sea as many as he could. When the adult said "you can not help so why waste your time?" he replied, "it matters to the ones that I can save.". He did something and made a difference to a few starfish which was better than the adult who made no difference
Areas of the North-Eastern Kent Coast which I know very well have been protected since Victorian times with large and lengthy concrete promenades ( https://www.visitthanet.co.uk/attractio ... rail/8676/ ); these did no doubt bring jobs at the time and have since produced areas of year round tourism which otherwise wouldn't exist, they have allowed installation of cafés, bathing huts and other tourist attractions open year round to a long standing tourist industry in the area. All this but more importantly years and years of rebuffing coastal erosion and protection of peoples homes and local industry.

With a view to the success of the past and the insight above where proper coastal protection becomes self financing over time and becomes an asset to the local area; I find it difficult to accept the current thinking that unprotected coastlines where erosion is occurring in Britain should be abandoned to the sea especially where homes and businesses are in danger. After all, the long costal promenades I mention were originally planned to enhance and expand tourism from London into areas where there was little residential vulnerability and the areas at the time were just villages that would not normally warranted this degree of long term investment - coastal protection was a side-line benefit which has brought a great deal of new residential and business areas safe from costal erosion.

Whilst I realise there are areas where money would get little return from the investment there are also areas that would benefit and this blanket style decision to give up to erosion makes no sense. But similarly decisions need to be made not only to change the mindset but also to put aside the funding - and there is the stumbling block... building train lines and trains which cut 30mins between London and Birmingham seem more important than peoples homes and businesses. :think:

Constantine

Post by Constantine » Mon Oct 29, 2018 2:29 pm

I'm happy to report that the Constantine household is not located on the East Coast, or indeed any coast at all, but rather half way up a hill. It is a 100ft+ above sea level, and so a mere 3ft rise is neither here nor there, It is global warming proof. :)

Boro Boy

Post by Boro Boy » Mon Oct 29, 2018 3:27 pm

Constantine wrote:I'm happy to report that the Constantine household is not located on the East Coast, or indeed any coast at all, but rather half way up a hill. It is a 100ft+ above sea level, and so a mere 3ft rise is neither here nor there, It is global warming proof. :)

Some people have all the luck!

No doubt, noting your current circumstances, you'll be backing the current Government think tanks advice that erosion should be left to do its thing? I wonder what these official would be saying if it was their home under threat?