Topcashback Quidco merger

Media articles about money-saving topics
chrisw680

Topcashback Quidco merger

Post by chrisw680 » Fri Nov 02, 2018 5:36 pm

The UK's two biggest cashback sites are set to be owned by the same group in a proposed deal which has been referred to the competition watchdog.

Topcashback and Quidco have long been the two top-paying cashback sites in our Top Cashback Sites guide, and have dominated cashback in the UK for years.

Top Online Partners Group, which owns Topcashback, and Maple Syrup Group, which owns Quidco, have agreed to form a new single group, CB Group Holdings. All of the brands owned by the two groups worldwide – including Topcashback in the US, India and China as well as the UK – would be part of the deal.

The companies say Topcashback and Quidco will continue to operate as independent brands if the deal goes ahead – but the plans have been voluntarily submitted to the Competition and Markets Authority (CMA) for review.

A Topcashback spokesperson told MoneySavingExpert.com the CMA's initial review is likely to take up to 40 working days, but it could take longer to rule on the plans if further investigation is needed.

The CMA told us it doesn't comment on this type of deal until it actually launches an investigation.

the CMA gives the deal the green light and it actually goes ahead, the companies insist there will be no immediate impact on Topcashback and Quidco users, with both brands continuing to operate as separate businesses. But it remains to be seen what the longer-term impact could be on what the sites offer – we'll be following the story closely.

For a full rundown of how both sites work currently – and other options out there – see our Top Cashback Sites guide.

What do Topcashback and Quidco say?
Olly Ragg, co-founder and director at Top Online Partners Group, said: "Creating a bigger money-saving group with Maple Syrup Group is the next logical step in reaching even more people around the world to help them save as much money as possible.

"We look forward to hearing back from the CMA, and all being well, continuing our work to revolutionise the global money-saving industry."

Maple Syrup Group founder Paul Nikkel added: "When my wife Jen and I founded Quidco, it revolutionised the money-saving industry and provided users with innovation and member-first product decisions.

"Over the years we have continued to develop a very wide range of money-saving offers for users along with Top Online Partners Group, so joining forces to create even more money-saving opportunities for our members while bringing our values and concepts to a global audience is an exciting step forward."

What do people think

William Joseph1

Re: Topcashback Quidco merger

Post by William Joseph1 » Fri Nov 02, 2018 6:12 pm

This presumably is a quote from MSE although you do not appear to have acknowledged that. I would be interested to see the link. If anyone has it?

As for my thoughts on it. Anything that reduces competition and has potential for a worse customer experience than they both offer at the moment. Is thumbs down from me.
Thanked by: macliam, Dream on, blythburgh
It is polite to thank a post. If you like it or if you feel it has helped you. Use the thumb up on the top right of the post.

Constantine

Post by Constantine » Fri Nov 02, 2018 6:17 pm

William Joseph1 wrote:This presumably is a quote from MSE although you do not appear to have acknowledged that. I would be interested to see the link. If anyone has it?

As for my thoughts on it. Anything that reduces competition and has potential for a worse customer experience than they both offer at the moment. Is thumbs down from me.
Google has it. :)

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/news/ ... rger-deal/

richard@imutual
Sharing: 4stars.png

Post by richard@imutual » Fri Nov 02, 2018 6:43 pm

Wow, I didn't see that coming :eek:

I've commented on the Facebook comments section of the above link

pabenny

Post by pabenny » Fri Nov 02, 2018 7:03 pm

Me neither
Thanked by: blythburgh

macliam

Post by macliam » Fri Nov 02, 2018 7:19 pm

richard@imutual wrote:Wow, I didn't see that coming :eek:

Well,either they're running scared, now that you're back in the saddle

OR

They see the chance to carve up a lucrative market between them and create a virtual monopoly with contingent savings on advertising, etc.

I wonder which? :think:

:mrgreen:
Thanked by: kevinchess1, blythburgh, dustie
Just because I'm paranoid, it doesn't mean they're not out to get me

expressman33

Post by expressman33 » Fri Nov 02, 2018 7:31 pm

Lower cashback rates perhaps ? Bad for the customer but could be good for Imutual ?
Thanked by: parchedpeas, blythburgh, dustie

kevinchess1
Sharing: 5stars.png

Post by kevinchess1 » Fri Nov 02, 2018 9:46 pm

macliam wrote:
richard@imutual wrote:Wow, I didn't see that coming :eek:

Well,either they're running scared, now that you're back in the saddle

OR

They see the chance to carve up a lucrative market between them and create a virtual monopoly with contingent savings on advertising, etc.

I wonder which? :think:

:mrgreen:
The first one
Thanked by: blythburgh, dustie
Politically incorrect since 69

Boro Boy

Post by Boro Boy » Sat Nov 03, 2018 12:17 am

For those of you who missed it see Richards reply (on MSE site Facebook link) to the prospects of the merger:

Richard Yendall
"Firstly I should declare an interest - I run a cashback site at http://www.imutual.co.uk

Putting aside the "fundraising"-type sites, I'd guess that we're the next biggest UK cashback site, although still minnows compared to quidco and tcb. These two sites have become highly dominant in this sector. I feel obliged to point out that MSE has been complicit in helping them to establish their dominance, consistently ignoring our requests to be featured in the Top Cashback Sites article, despite us being consistently recognised in the cashback category of the Consumer MoneyFacts Awards. (I'm keenly aware that this sounds like sour grapes but I do think it's a valid complaint)

It's hard to see how the creation of a single giant company can be good news for the UK consumer. Choice and competition is always the most powerful means for improving the offering to consumers. It will also give them a very dominant position in online advertising."

:clap: :clap: :clap:

kevinchess1
Sharing: 5stars.png

Post by kevinchess1 » Sat Nov 03, 2018 6:16 am

On the plus side
Imutual will move from third to second in the Top Cashback sites list
Not bad considering Richard only been back a month :thumbup:
Politically incorrect since 69