David Cameron

Media articles about money-saving topics
macliam

Re: David Cameron

Post by macliam » Fri Nov 02, 2018 7:22 pm

Some PMs are just toxic.
Some did some good things but are remembered for bad calls.
Cameron is both, except for doing the good things...... :shifty:
Thanked by: Dream on, blythburgh
Just because I'm paranoid, it doesn't mean they're not out to get me

gle1975

Post by gle1975 » Fri Nov 02, 2018 8:25 pm

I bet he's not having to claim Universal Credit and wait 3 months for his first payment.
Thanked by: blythburgh

Boro Boy

Post by Boro Boy » Sat Nov 03, 2018 12:47 am

richard@imutual wrote:Out of interest, who would people put as their "Best prime ministers"? Say, from the past 30 years

Nobody is perfect but my vote would have to be Margaret Thatcher

Its difficult to see any other recent PM who would have coped as well or better than she did which the challenges that confronted her. Major would still be battling with his own ministers, Blair would have asked his "US Pals" for help with the Falklands and fell apart when they said walk it alone pal. Brown, well Brown would still be smiling about saying "National Insurance is not a tax; I said I would not raise taxes..." Cameron would still be Chillaxing while Rome burned, May would be talking a good show while dancing in circles and Corbyn would be...Oh my G-d no not Corbyn.

I guess Leaders are suppose to Lead and that sometimes means playing the long game that could mean going against the short term tide and not being swayed by the fickle media and press; that is maybe something recent Leaders have found difficulty in achieving... :think:
Thanked by: blythburgh

macliam

Post by macliam » Sat Nov 03, 2018 1:56 am

I know you're a fan, but were you actually around when Thatcher was in power? Certainly if the listing was for the most dogmatic and divisive PM, Thatcher would be up there.

Such successes:
- Slashing the defence of the Falklands despite direct warnings that it could cause the Argentines to invade;
- Using the Police (and possibly the army) as a private army against the Miners;
- Introducing the Poll Tax and replacing a property tax based on values with a charge per capita;
- Sowing the seeds of the current housing crisis by selling off council housing and not allowing councils to replace it;
- Creating the internal market in the NHS, the start of privatization;
- Introducing the homophobic Section 28 rule;
- Presiding over escalation in NI "troubles", shoot to kill and the hunger strikes.

No surprise that she had the first "spin doctor" in Sir Bernard Ingham and happily used D notices to gag the press, if, unlike Murdoch, they actually appeared to be opposing her.
Just because I'm paranoid, it doesn't mean they're not out to get me

blythburgh

Post by blythburgh » Sat Nov 03, 2018 8:44 am

Boro Boy wrote:What interesting times we live in...

David Cameron, once described as amongst "the worst Prime Ministers we have ever had." supposedly wants to return to front bench politics! But as a noted Remainer will he even ever acquire a seat to get past the first post...!!! :think:
You are thick if you think all seats that the Tories intend to fight at a General Election would only choose a Brexiteer. A lot of Tory members and an even bigger percentage of Tory voters are Remainers.

You can be so blinkered at times.

And changing posts:

Best PM since 1970? Heath and Callaghan would be up for my consideration but I totally disagree about Wilson. I lived through the 1970's and saw Wilson and the trade unions cause terrible inflation. Callaghan was starting to reverse it and then Thatcher got elected and sent inflation through the roof again. Interestingly I have a friend who was a Labour Party Agent in Yorkshire during part of the 1970's. He was so disillusioned with the MP he was working for he quit his job. He calls Wilson a crook though that is his opinion not mine as I do not know enough to comment.

In some ways I would vote for Blair and Major. The former made the appalling mistake of backing the USA over Iraq and letting Brown sell off some of our gold reserves. Major was ham strung by "the bastards" amongst his MP's. Economically Britain did better when Blair came to power but recovery was built on the work of the Major Govt.
Thanked by: William Joseph1, Dream on
Keep smiling because the light at the end of someone's tunnel may be you, Ron Cheneler

Constantine

Post by Constantine » Sat Nov 03, 2018 4:41 pm

Heath?

Are you sure? Heath was bloody awful.

Wikipedia records a variety of polls etc covering a variety of timescales of the best PMs
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Historica ... ed_Kingdom
Thanked by: pakefield

pabenny

Post by pabenny » Sat Nov 03, 2018 5:40 pm

blythburgh wrote:You are thick if you think ...
Tell the poster he is wrong or that you disagree, but let's avoid straying towards insults
Thanked by: Boro Boy

Boro Boy

Post by Boro Boy » Sat Nov 03, 2018 9:53 pm

pabenny wrote:
Tell the poster he is wrong or that you disagree, but let's avoid straying towards insults

Well I never thought in the same breath I would be praising pabenny and saying that blythburgh had succumbed to the lowest depths of language... blythburgh no matter how much you disagree with someone on here do you realy think its worth crossing the line and dragging these forums down to unpleasant levels? :crazy:

Boro Boy

Post by Boro Boy » Sun Nov 04, 2018 9:41 pm

Cameron wants a plum job in Government because he's bored... https://www.telegraph.co.uk/opinion/201 ... ration-us/

blythburgh

Post by blythburgh » Mon Nov 05, 2018 7:51 am

Boro Boy wrote:
pabenny wrote:

Well I never thought in the same breath I would be praising pabenny and saying that blythburgh had succumbed to the lowest depths of language... blythburgh no matter how much you disagree with someone on here do you realy think its worth crossing the line and dragging these forums down to unpleasant levels? :crazy:
I did not say you were thick only said you were thick if you think etc.
Keep smiling because the light at the end of someone's tunnel may be you, Ron Cheneler