world's longest bridge opens

Discussion about miscellaneous topics not covered by other forums
blythburgh
Posts: 14684
Joined: Tue Jun 29, 2010 7:14 pm
Location: The Far East
Has thanked: 30735 times
Been thanked: 5960 times
Contact:

world's longest bridge opens

Post by blythburgh » Sat Nov 10, 2018 12:05 pm

Just heard on Radio 4 how the reporter went on the new mega expensive bridge in China. Not many people travelling on it. He spoke to one person who said he preferred the ferry because "it is quicker and you get a better view of the bridge".

Wonderful reasons for not using the bridge.

Here in Suffolk we wait until the last minute has come or even gone. One day in Southwold we met a man at the harbour who was checking on its safety. He reckoned it was safe for now. Then they put up a fence to stop cars going to near the edge "because the harbour wall was starting to disintegrate." So they had to quickly repair it. You can get from Southwold to Walberswick by ferry at certain times of the year, But walkers and cyclists, many of them working in the other village, used a bridge over the River Blyth. Suddenly with no warning the bridge was closed, apparently the rust is making it too dangerous to use. So if you are in one place and want to get to the other you will have to take a 7 mile journey by road.
Keep smiling because the light at the end of someone's tunnel may be you, Ron Cheneler

macliam
Posts: 8173
Joined: Thu Jul 18, 2013 12:26 pm
Location: By the Deben, Suffolk
Has thanked: 1413 times
Been thanked: 7138 times
Contact:

Re: world's longest bridge opens

Post by macliam » Sat Nov 10, 2018 6:21 pm

Ask any utility engineers in Suffolk about the time allowed to reach an appointment in Felixstowe from a previous one in Harwich, or vice-versa. They still haven't produced a swimming Transit, but many appointment systems still think they can drive a straight route between the two!

Apparently it takes several weeks to get the correct authorisation to use the new bridge in China, so that's one reason it won't get much use!
Thanked by: pakefield
Just because I'm paranoid, it doesn't mean they're not out to get me

AAAlphaThunder
Posts: 24598
Joined: Tue Sep 14, 2010 8:23 pm
Has thanked: 213 times
Been thanked: 3550 times
Contact:

Re: world's longest bridge opens

Post by AAAlphaThunder » Sat Nov 10, 2018 6:24 pm

blythburgh wrote:Just heard on Radio 4 how the reporter went on the new mega expensive bridge in China. Not many people travelling on it. He spoke to one person who said he preferred the ferry because "it is quicker and you get a better view of the bridge".

Wonderful reasons for not using the bridge.
True as it may be, an engineering marvel nonetheless.
Thanked by: pakefield, blythburgh
[Secretary] imutual Cashback Investment Club

blythburgh
Posts: 14684
Joined: Tue Jun 29, 2010 7:14 pm
Location: The Far East
Has thanked: 30735 times
Been thanked: 5960 times
Contact:

Re: world's longest bridge opens

Post by blythburgh » Sun Nov 11, 2018 7:34 am

AAAlphaThunder wrote:
blythburgh wrote:Just heard on Radio 4 how the reporter went on the new mega expensive bridge in China. Not many people travelling on it. He spoke to one person who said he preferred the ferry because "it is quicker and you get a better view of the bridge".

Wonderful reasons for not using the bridge.
True as it may be, an engineering marvel nonetheless.
Absolutely but a high cost in human lives. The Chinese have also built a bridge in Africa but plunged the country deep into debt, no doubt the bridge was an idea of the Chinese and the Govt. but again at a terrible price.

I am grateful that because of our membership of the EU there is far more health and safety rules in force that mean our people are not forced to risk life and limb in the building industry in the way they have to in other countries
Keep smiling because the light at the end of someone's tunnel may be you, Ron Cheneler

AAAlphaThunder
Posts: 24598
Joined: Tue Sep 14, 2010 8:23 pm
Has thanked: 213 times
Been thanked: 3550 times
Contact:

Re: world's longest bridge opens

Post by AAAlphaThunder » Sun Nov 11, 2018 3:55 pm

In most of these developing countries there is no such things as health and safety more like"save yourself".
[Secretary] imutual Cashback Investment Club

Constantine
Posts: 691
Joined: Fri Jul 02, 2010 1:04 pm
Has thanked: 45 times
Been thanked: 563 times
Contact:

Re: world's longest bridge opens

Post by Constantine » Sun Nov 11, 2018 4:58 pm

blythburgh wrote:...

Absolutely but a high cost in human lives. The Chinese have also built a bridge in Africa but plunged the country deep into debt, no doubt the bridge was an idea of the Chinese and the Govt. but again at a terrible price.
....
Well, China has just built the longest suspension bridge in Africa. That's 'just' as it opened today. Is that the one you mean?

https://www.thesouthafrican.com/maputo- ... ulu-natal/

Even African countries need infrastructure. :)
Thanked by: blythburgh

KlensyKrok
Posts: 6
Joined: Sun Nov 25, 2018 5:36 pm
Been thanked: 4 times
Contact:

Re: world's longest bridge opens

Post by KlensyKrok » Sun Nov 25, 2018 5:50 pm

Wow, it's that long. Awesome!

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests