Remember

Topical debate, moral dilemmas and quirky questions. Join fellow shareholders in civilised discussions of issues of interest
kevinchess1
Sharing: 3stars.png

Remember

Post by kevinchess1 » Sun Nov 11, 2018 9:56 am

If you going to a service or just spending a few minutes reflecting on the soliders who died
I salute you

If you not then i respect you

They died to give us our freedom
and that includes the freedom to not commerate the fallen

LEST WE FORGET
Politically incorrect since 69

blythburgh

Re: Remember

Post by blythburgh » Sun Nov 11, 2018 9:58 am

Yes, I can understand why two footballers, one from Northern Ireland and the other from Serbia have decided not to wear a poppy. Sadly they have been abused by many online.

But I will be thinking of all from both sides who fell and adding them to the prayers that are said. People killed, families ripped apart, lives destroyed by injury physical or mental. And for those still affected by war.
Thanked by: expressman33
Keep smiling because the light at the end of someone's tunnel may be you, Ron Cheneler

macliam

Post by macliam » Sun Nov 11, 2018 3:07 pm

This morning I took my dogs for a walk through the hills in the Alentejo.

Suddenly, clear as a bell, I heard a bugle playing the Last Post - it sounded "live", not a recording and stopped me in my tracks.

It reminded me first of my Uncle who volunteered in 1939 and, as a motor mechanic, was sent to India to train the Royal Indian Engineers, spent 6 years there and never forgot his experiences. We played the Last Post at is funeral, when he died, aged 90.

Then it reminded me of my Grandfather, who volunteered in 1914 and survived gas and disease to return and fight in a Civil War at home.

My thoughts are with them and all those, of all nations, who had the courage to fight for their beliefs and for their comrades.

Ar dheis Dé go raibh a n-anam uasal
Thanked by: expressman33, blythburgh
Just because I'm paranoid, it doesn't mean they're not out to get me

Boro Boy

Post by Boro Boy » Sun Nov 11, 2018 10:40 pm

Remembrance Day

Remembrance Day.jpg
Remembrance Day
Remembrance Day.jpg (235.49 KiB) Viewed 923 times
Thanked by: blythburgh

blythburgh

Post by blythburgh » Mon Nov 12, 2018 9:45 am

A post on FB said this: "nice the German President is involved this year (at the cenotaph)". The reply the Mother in Law gave was "they started it".

Sad how some people never move on and give peace a chance

And sad to see Corbyn attacked for his attire. "A scruffy anorak" looks like a smart mac to me. But then I am anti the Corbynite leadership of Labour but refuse to attack when there is no reason to do so.
Keep smiling because the light at the end of someone's tunnel may be you, Ron Cheneler

Chadwick

Post by Chadwick » Mon Nov 12, 2018 9:00 pm

I think the prize for most disrespectful marking of this centenary year goes to Donald Trump.

He went to France to 'celebrate' the end of WW1, apparently unaware that the point of Veterans Day (as they call it the US) is to commemorate the fallen, not revel in their victory.
He then decided it was too rainy to visit a US cemetery in France, perhaps again unaware that many of the soldiers lying there had also complained about the mud in the trenches, but had turned up nonetheless.
Back on home turf, it's traditional for the President to lay a wreath at Arlington Cemetery, which is close to the White House. I think you can guess what (didn't) happen.

This is the man who would have run into a school to stop a gunman. Unless it was raining presumably.
Thanked by: pakefield, blythburgh

pakefield

Post by pakefield » Mon Nov 12, 2018 9:07 pm

Do not be so hard, it was raining so helicopter could not take off. But other leaders made it. And what was so wrong with Corbyn wearing a smart mac instead of an overcoat.

macliam

Post by macliam » Mon Nov 12, 2018 10:10 pm

I'm sure that those who fell don't give a toss about Trump. Equally, I'm sure they would appreciate a sincere visit, even if the visitor was in jeans. But we have to re-raise the Michael Foot comparison, because for some corners of the media no Labour politician will ever cut the mustard. Criticism says far more about them than the target.

What a shame that Trump had to be the President for the 100th anniversary..... amongst other things. The man is below contempt.
Thanked by: blythburgh
Just because I'm paranoid, it doesn't mean they're not out to get me

blythburgh

Post by blythburgh » Tue Nov 13, 2018 11:06 am

macliam wrote:I'm sure that those who fell don't give a toss about Trump. Equally, I'm sure they would appreciate a sincere visit, even if the visitor was in jeans. But we have to re-raise the Michael Foot comparison, because for some corners of the media no Labour politician will ever cut the mustard. Criticism says far more about them than the target.

What a shame that Trump had to be the President for the 100th anniversary..... amongst other things. The man is below contempt.
I agree but I feel those who criticised Corbyn for wearing a decent mac instead of a black standard overcoat that he probably does not own are alos below contempt.

pabenny

Post by pabenny » Tue Nov 13, 2018 12:32 pm

blythburgh wrote:I agree but I feel those who criticised Corbyn for [his coat] are also below contempt.
Really?

You must despise an awful lot of people if you consider those who criticise a public figure for their clothing choices to be below contempt.