40 Stores to Close... (part 2)

Money, investing, mutuals etc
pabenny

Re: 40 Stores to Close... (part 2)

Post by pabenny » Fri Nov 09, 2018 12:41 pm

I don't think it's being ignored. But trying to 'save the high street' is a Canute-like endeavour. Better to manage the reshaping of the high street - for example by facilitating the conversion of retail premises to other uses such as residential.

Or if you want to look at it another way, it's like trying to save horse-breeders, farriers, etc from competition from motor vehicles.

Constantine

Post by Constantine » Fri Nov 09, 2018 7:20 pm

pabenny wrote:I don't think it's being ignored. But trying to 'save the high street' is a Canute-like endeavour. Better to manage the reshaping of the high street - for example by facilitating the conversion of retail premises to other uses such as residential.

Or if you want to look at it another way, it's like trying to save horse-breeders, farriers, etc from competition from motor vehicles.
Have you got my home bugged? That's exactly what I tell people. :)

What I found oddly ironic was this report.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-46142025

Amazon are often blamed for the high street's woes. Amazon was originally an online book shop. The number of high street bookshops is actually increasing. All those predictions that the Kindle was going to kill off proper books were wrong. Who'd have thunk it?

Boro Boy

Post by Boro Boy » Wed Nov 14, 2018 10:31 pm

So House of Fraser is trimming costs with closures as well now! I can add the London City Branch is also about to close as well having been in that branch earlier today. The guy I spoke to earlier today was telling me he had worked in the branch for more that 20 years and didn't know where his next job was going to be! An important point is most of the staff in these commercial companies are manning a franchise/concession inside the store, they may loose their jobs and only a minimal amount are employed directly by H of F and only those are guaranteed re-employment... See: https://www.msn.com/en-gb/money/compani ... spartanntp

Result: H of F reduce their rental overheads but loose floor space and more importantly - more people join the jobless...
Thanked by: blythburgh

blythburgh

Post by blythburgh » Thu Nov 15, 2018 10:41 am

Closing flagship stores at INTU malls in Norwich and Essex because they could not work out a deal over rent.

TV news anchor tonight said he went into Norwich branch and it was nearly empty. It was called old fashioned and boring in piece about it.

INTU can make more money without them was the consensus

But really bad news for the workers.

Will I miss it? Never went there, if I want a department store in Norwich then Jarrolds is the first choice for us and many others shoppers in the fine city
Keep smiling because the light at the end of someone's tunnel may be you, Ron Cheneler

planteria

Post by planteria » Thu Nov 15, 2018 11:11 am

i'd have thought this is worse news for Intu than they are letting on. however they dress it up, they are losing a key tenant in two of their centres.

blythburgh

Post by blythburgh » Thu Nov 15, 2018 11:43 am

planteria wrote:i'd have thought this is worse news for Intu than they are letting on. however they dress it up, they are losing a key tenant in two of their centres.
Professor who was also on said they would make more money letting to smaller units and having leisure things in some of the units. Norwich store was over three floors so plenty of scope for all sorts of units
Thanked by: Dream on
Keep smiling because the light at the end of someone's tunnel may be you, Ron Cheneler

pabenny

Post by pabenny » Thu Nov 15, 2018 12:43 pm

People who want to shop offline tend to favour larger centres like Trafford Centre, Merryhill and Lakeside where are more and bigger stores (although few independents). The owners of these shopping centres are relatively insulated from the troubles of the high street. Presumably intu believe they can relet space occupied by HoF for a higher rent or to retailers which are more of a draw. It may even be the case that a tired large store taints perceptions of a shopping centre and deters visitors.
Thanked by: Dream on, blythburgh

pabenny

Post by pabenny » Thu Nov 15, 2018 5:05 pm

Berketex bridalwear has gone into administration. Not an obvious store to be disrupted by online sales. Are fewer people getting married? Or buying conventional wedding dresses?

blythburgh

Post by blythburgh » Fri Nov 16, 2018 10:28 am

pabenny wrote:Berketex bridalwear has gone into administration. Not an obvious store to be disrupted by online sales. Are fewer people getting married? Or buying conventional wedding dresses?
Weekend assistant at my local corner shop is a student until next summer and getting married in November. The wedding dress will either be 2nd hand or hired. Sensible lass

Boro Boy

Post by Boro Boy » Mon Dec 03, 2018 12:48 pm

Significant job loses announced over recent times in the retail market as systemic change occurs on the high street: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-46405412