So what did you vote for?

Media articles about money-saving topics
Chadwick

Re: So what did you vote for?

Post by Chadwick » Mon Nov 19, 2018 9:32 am

butler1882 wrote:Just get us out!! The deal on the table is worse then we had before! Just walk away
It's been comprehensively demonstrated that 'just walking away' is the worst case scenario. It is worse than the deal on the table.

If you agree with most of Parliament, that the deal on the table is not a good one, then you could support the call for a 2nd referendum, so that your opinion might count for something.
Thanked by: blythburgh

butler1882

Post by butler1882 » Mon Nov 19, 2018 9:36 am

Then if the result doesn’t go the way I want can I stamp my feet for another vote?

Dream on

Post by Dream on » Mon Nov 19, 2018 9:45 am

butler1882 wrote:Then if the result doesn’t go the way I want can I stamp my feet for another vote?
You can stamp your feet yes. But it will be at the decision of Teresa May whether or not it is granted.

Chadwick

Post by Chadwick » Mon Nov 19, 2018 10:05 am

butler1882 wrote:Then if the result doesn’t go the way I want can I stamp my feet for another vote?
It's not going the way you want now, and you're moaning about it.
So yes, you can continue to stamp your feet if you don't like the outcome.

blythburgh

Post by blythburgh » Mon Nov 19, 2018 10:49 am

Why some of us are unhappy is the lies that convinced some people to vote leave and the fact nobody could possibly know what would happen if we left.

Now we know what is on offer to us and have a better idea of what would happen to our industries, how much we would have to pay to the EU etc.

So IF we have another vote and Leave win I would be bitterly disappointed but have to accept it. In the same way I might not like the result of a general election but have to accept it.

But then again people like butler1882 are scared that if there was a people's vote they could end up on the losing side.

And many young people in this country will feel very angry with the selfish pensioners who do not have jobs to worry about and have far better pensions than they will ever have in real terms
Keep smiling because the light at the end of someone's tunnel may be you, Ron Cheneler

Boro Boy

Post by Boro Boy » Mon Nov 19, 2018 12:16 pm

butler1882 wrote:Just get us out!! The deal on the table is worse then we had before! Just walk away

Perhaps we would have a better deal on the table with the EU chasing us to do a deal with them (rather than the other way around) if we had been stronger from the start and disregarded the 2 year purgatory and stated we were very willing to leave without a deal if a good exit deal didn't come forward much sooner following the exit vote.

As an example: Most of the new technology companies in the world lay outside the EU and it is the future we should have out eyes on and plan to be in the best position to compete there.

Our prosperous future lies outside the EU (not in an halfway house) trading with a world market not still in the restrictive & protection practices of the EU; they do not want use to progress at their expense; when that is clear to people then it is also clear that we will do better coming out of the "protection" of the EU and broker our own deals in the larger world markets. :wtf:
Thanked by: butler1882

pabenny

Post by pabenny » Mon Nov 19, 2018 12:48 pm

Boro Boy wrote:Our prosperous future lies outside the EU (not in an halfway house) trading with a world market
And the evidence for this is what?
Boro Boy wrote:...restrictive & protection practices of the EU...
As opposed to the restrictive and protectionist practices of the USA? Such as the Buy American Act, which requires the federal government to prefer US-made products.
Boro Boy wrote:We will do better coming out of the "protection" of the EU and broker our own deals in the larger world markets
Can you give any specific examples where the UK has a poor trade deal with another country as a result of our EU membership - and where withdrawal could give the UK a benefit?

Boro Boy

Post by Boro Boy » Mon Nov 19, 2018 2:22 pm

pabenny wrote:
Boro Boy wrote:Our prosperous future lies outside the EU (not in an halfway house) trading with a world market
And the evidence for this is what?
Boro Boy wrote:...restrictive & protection practices of the EU...
As opposed to the restrictive and protectionist practices of the USA? Such as the Buy American Act, which requires the federal government to prefer US-made products.
Boro Boy wrote:We will do better coming out of the "protection" of the EU and broker our own deals in the larger world markets
Can you give any specific examples where the UK has a poor trade deal with another country as a result of our EU membership - and where withdrawal could give the UK a benefit?

We can't bargin our own trade deals while under the "protection" of the EU.

Being long in the tooth I can remember pre-EEC (sorry EU) we voted to join a trading arrangement not a political union and the expense for this was the loss of our world trade partners with the introduction of restrictive EEC tarrifs. As member of the club we couldn't be self sufficient (as we previously were for Dairy Farming) and we had to scale down that industry and allow EC imports; this resulted in Butter Mountains and Milk Lakes as the industry scaled down and EU imports came into our market - I am a regular traveller to Europe but fail to find British Dairy products in Italy, France, Germany...

Industries such as Fishing, Dairy (and I'm sure more) have been devastated due to EU membership! Why do we want to leave our industries to be drained by the EU?

butler1882

Post by butler1882 » Mon Nov 19, 2018 2:37 pm

A trade agreement is the key point here. We did not join a European Superstate with its own laws and military while being owned by Brussels.

Constantine

Post by Constantine » Mon Nov 19, 2018 3:08 pm

blythburgh wrote:...

And many young people in this country will feel very angry with the selfish pensioners who do not have jobs to worry about and have far better pensions than they will ever have in real terms
I know that the one thing I did not vote for was this kind of stupid prejudice. Selfish pensioners, greedy Jews, stupid you know, whatever next?
Thanked by: Boro Boy, blythburgh