So what did you vote for?

Media articles about money-saving topics
pabenny

Re: So what did you vote for?

Post by pabenny » Tue Nov 20, 2018 6:21 am

Boro Boy wrote:Yes its simple the whole EU Parliamentary structure is the "Super State" ..
I think Suprastate is a more accurate terminology - ie something that sits above the nationals in the way that, say, FIFA sits above the national football leagues.

As pointed out by another poster, the overriding principle is one of subsidiarity, meaning legislation is decided at the lowest level possible.
Thanked by: blythburgh, parchedpeas

pabenny

Post by pabenny » Tue Nov 20, 2018 6:24 am

And i notice that those trumpeting the claimed improvements in trade opportunities for the UK outside the EU fall silent when asked for specifics.

This frequently happens in debates about Brexit - its supporters make grand claims that they are unable to support. They then quickly change the subject by throwing in words like Superstate and false claim such as those about a European Army.
Thanked by: blythburgh, parchedpeas

parchedpeas

Post by parchedpeas » Tue Nov 20, 2018 8:26 am

Just yesterday, David Davis wrote an article for Conservative Home website that said:

"If we need to leave with no deal and negotiate a free trade agreement during the transition period, so be it. Let’s be clear and honest and tell the EU that’s what we are prepared to do."

https://www.conservativehome.com/platfo ... ed-us.html

No-deal means no-transition. The transition is part of 'the deal'. He was in charge of Brexit agreements for two years, and yet he still knows absolutely nothing about it. If you trust these buffoons with anything then you're a buffoon yourself. They can't even organise 48 letters to get Theresa May kicked out.
Thanked by: blythburgh

parchedpeas

Post by parchedpeas » Tue Nov 20, 2018 8:29 am

Britain has a veto on a European army so, by leaving the EU, you're more likely (still unlikely, mind) to end up with one. On your doorstep.

Brexit gives us less power, less influence. Well done Brexiters. You voted to make Britain Europe's bitch.

butler1882

Post by butler1882 » Tue Nov 20, 2018 8:36 am

Nice patronising remainer tone ^^^

blythburgh

Post by blythburgh » Tue Nov 20, 2018 10:07 am

butler1882 wrote:Nice patronising remainer tone ^^^
I was recently criticised on the forum for something I wrote but accepted the right of that person to say what they did without attacking or demeaning their view.

I disagree with your posts about Brexit but I do not attack your posts but will merely put my point of view or just not bother to reply
Keep smiling because the light at the end of someone's tunnel may be you, Ron Cheneler

parchedpeas

Post by parchedpeas » Tue Nov 20, 2018 10:33 am

butler1882 wrote:Nice patronising remainer tone ^^^
Which bit was patronising?

David Davis, the former Brexit secretary, wrote an article yesterday that shows he doesn't understand Brexit.

Brexit, by the governments own admission (and the admission of the Leave camp) will make us EU rule takers.

Both these thing are facts, not opinions. Facts cannot be patronising.

pabenny

Post by pabenny » Tue Nov 20, 2018 11:12 am

I'm quite happy to debate the EU and Brexit. But please don't keep introducing such irrelevancies:
That's a link to a facebook post claiming that Angela Merkel has called for creation of an EU army. I've no idea whether she did say that - or something more nuanced that has been simplified for the sake of a headline.

All sorts of leaders call for all sorts of things. It doesn't mean they're going to happen (for example Donald Trump calling for Hillary Clinton to be strung up).

Boro Boy

Post by Boro Boy » Tue Nov 20, 2018 11:43 am

pabenny wrote:
Boro Boy wrote:Yes its simple the whole EU Parliamentary structure is the "Super State" ..
I think Suprastate is a more accurate terminology - ie something that sits above the nationals in the way that, say, FIFA sits above the national football leagues.

As pointed out by another poster, the overriding principle is one of subsidiarity, meaning legislation is decided at the lowest level possible.

Nice interpretation but in reality the power does not live with the democratically elected MEP's (who have tinkering power on legislation) as the power is at the top and with other unelected officials. The MEP's work in a talking shop with the power of rubber stamping legislation and as this becomes more and more clear that the EU system bears no resemblance to the UK Parliamentary Democratic system, it also becomes more and more clear that it will not change and as democrats we should leave it. :crazy: